• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What’s the plan for next season

TroutField

5 hours ago, Mark68 said:

I think that whoever is in charge should be looking at talent that is being posted by NPB teams. This is an older article (April 2023), but there are some players on there that the Angels should be looking at...

7 Stars From Japan's NPB Who Could Jump To MLB - MLB Trade Rumors

i think we should sign all 7 of them.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

oh no, my friend. for a meeting this significant, we're pulling out the big guns and going to the olive garden.

the endless salad bowl is the game changer.

Pull out the really big guns.

Northwoods 

Forget the good food, they’ll like the portraits of naked women (tastefully done) on the walls.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:19 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, it is a problem, but how to fix that problem? Sign "trustworthy" players? Given payroll constraints, how do they do that, at least in a meaningful way? And given the available free agent pool, how many players qualify as both good and trustworthy? I'm not sure any do.

My point was that any path to success requires better health from players they already have. Even if Arte opens up the vault and gives Minasian a Mets-like payroll, there just aren't the free agents to meaningfully improve the lineup; it is a sad day when Cody Bellinger is the best option. Similarly, they don't have the prospects to make substantial moves to improve the lineup.

So we're back where we started: the team sinks and swims on health.

Replace the medical, conditioning, and training staffs!!!   Clean house, no excuse for this injuries galore crap for most of the past decade!!!!!!

Edited by Angel Oracle

I have another unpopular take.

The training staff gets too much blame.

They have switched these guys out in years past.  They had no TJ surgeries last year or the year before.  But this year we have had 3?  Do we really think they are doing something different than what was working last year?  

Trout, Rendon, Ward’s injuries were batters box injuries, unrelated to the training staff.  

Do we really think Ohtani’s oblique issue is caused by the training staff not giving that guy the right training regiment?  

It is another example of fans wanting easy answers to complicated, multifaceted issues.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

They have switched these guys out in years past.  They had no TJ surgeries last year or the year before.  But this year we have had 3?  Do we really think they are doing something different than what was working last year?  

Trout, Rendon, Ward’s injuries were batters box injuries, unrelated to the training staff.  

Do we really think Ohtani’s oblique issue is caused by the training staff not giving that guy the right training regiment?  

It is another example of fans wanting easy answers to complicated, multifaceted issues.

I find the enormous number of oblique and hand issues kinds of odd. 

not sure you can blame the training staff, or even the coaching staff but something seems off. 

Trout, O’hoppe, Rengifo all hurt on routine swings, Adell, Ohtani, Neto, Moore all with oblique issues. I mean there are coincidences but at some point you have to start to look at training regimens, rest periods, etc and see if anything changed from last year that could cause this huge increase. 

A lot of it seems like terrible, terrible luck that you can’t do anything about. Nobody could have planned Ohtani’s elbow blowing up, as much as the media wants you think that. 

10 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I find the enormous number of oblique and hand issues kinds of odd. 

not sure you can blame the training staff, or even the coaching staff but something seems off. 

Trout, O’hoppe, Rengifo all hurt on routine swings, Adell, Ohtani, Neto, Moore all with oblique issues. I mean there are coincidences but at some point you have to start to look at training regimens, rest periods, etc and see if anything changed from last year that could cause this huge increase. 

A lot of it seems like terrible, terrible luck that you can’t do anything about. Nobody could have planned Ohtani’s elbow blowing up, as much as the media wants you think that. 

Agreed.  No one could have predicted or expected the sheer amount of injuries to not just key starters, but to even the back ups.  

Also how about a "broken hip" caused by running to first?  Has that ever happend before in the history of baseball?

On deck circle injury possibly requiring surgury?

This year just had way to many obstacles placed on the team.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I do think the number of oblique issues on this team needs to be examined.

Moore, Neto, Adell, and Ohtani all with oblique issues?

But, yeah, some of the freak stuff is just bad luck that seems to be common for the Angels.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, FromJapan said:

Next week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is scheduled to visit Japan and inspect Yamamoto directly.  It's hard to imagine the Angels signing Yamamoto at this point.

On September 9th (JST), Yamamoto achieved his second no-hitter in two consecutive seasons. He became the third NPB pitcher in 82 years to achieve a no-hitter in consecutive seasons.
9.0 IP, 102 NP, 0 H, 8 K, 1 BB

He has not allowed a run in six consecutive games from August and has maintained a streak of zero earned runs in 42 consecutive innings.

Cashman, the Yankees' general manager, have been watching this game at the stadium.  The staffs from the Angels, Phillies, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Blue Jays, and Pirates also scouted from behind the backstop.

Edited by FromJapan
Correct texts and add Posts (X)

On 9/8/2023 at 6:41 AM, Mark68 said:

I think that whoever is in charge should be looking at talent that is being posted by NPB teams. This is an older article (April 2023), but there are some players on there that the Angels should be looking at...

7 Stars From Japan's NPB Who Could Jump To MLB - MLB Trade Rumors

On September 10 (JST), Roki Sasaki (Chiba Lotte Marines, NPB) took the mound for the first time in about a month and a half since injuring his left internal oblique muscle.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman watched him at the same stadium as yesterday.
After Sasaki left the mound, Cashman also left the stadium.

As the Yankees have signed massive long-term contracts with Judge and Cole, it is financially difficult for them to sign multiple talented players from Japan through posting over the next few years. They will have to choose between immediately pursuing the services of the established star Yamamoto or targeting the potential of Sasaki in a few years, but there is also the option of not acquiring either.

Edited by FromJapan
Add texts

Update on September 14 (JST)

Reference: MLB.com on September 7th, 2023 Japanese ace Imanaga to be posted this offseason

Pitcher Shota Imanaga (age 30, Yokohama DeNA BayStars) made his 20th start of the season in the game against the Chunichi Dragons on September 13 (JST). In the first inning, he recorded a total of 1,000 strikeouts since his NPB debut.
Scouts from 10 MLB teams, including the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rangers, Phillies, Cubs, Reds, Diamondbacks, Giants, and Padres, were scouting him in the house.  In June, the Mets and Cardinals also visited Yokohama to inspect him.  It has not been reported whether any Angels staff members were present. He is already signed to the agency "Octagon" in preparation for his move to MLB.

(Link) his stats in NPB

Edited by FromJapan
Update the texts

On 9/8/2023 at 12:19 PM, Swordsman78 said:

This year just had way to many obstacles placed on the team.

We all know what you're doing and I'm guessing most people have already made up their minds on Nevin, one way or another.

A good way to combat injuries is to have good depth. Also this year was just flukey when it came to the volume and severity of injuries. It just happens. 

More concerned about the minor league staff, the pitching coaches and the coaching staff as a whole than the training staff. There were so many fundamentals that the Angels struggled with this season, and it seemed like pitchers took a month to turn things around. We had Mike Trout catching guys tipping pitches. 

Maintaining my stance that the org needs to take a deep breath - Arte or no Arte, Shohei or no Shohei, Trout or no Trout - and pause on this constant push to win. Take pressure off the kids in '24 and '25. I think Neto, O'Hoppe, and even Detmers have the makings of a great, young Braves-like core to start building on. Maybe the reduced pressure on Trout and Ohtani help out too, if they're around. Ohtani can just hit. Trout can slide over to LF/RF. Make some shrewd signings, draftings, and sell a couple guys to round the upper-levels of the farm back out. 

Could see it all coalescing quicker than expected and they shoot back into contention by late '25. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I’m guessing most people really didn’t care all that much about Nevin but now wouldn’t mind seeing him canned just to watch bladeboy freak out.

I have questioned some of Nevin's in-game decisions, but not any more than I have any other manager.  It's something we all do.  I'm more interested in his leadership skills and I don't have a good gauge on that.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

I have questioned some of Nevin's in-game decisions, but not any more than I have any other manager.  It's something we all do.  I'm more interested in his leadership skills and I don't have a good gauge on that.

Totally fair.  Personally, I am neither attached to him or hoping for him to be fired.  I can assume if they fire him it will be because they are not completely satisfied and they find someone they like more.  So whatever.

There is only one person who can answer this, Arte, and he never answers anything. 
I see two options that are polar opposites, and neither is following the plan that has been in place which has failed, but hats all speculation till Arte decides who he wants to be moving forward as an owner, or if he wants to be at all. 

Part of me still thinks he will sell but it was delayed as no new owner wanted to be the guy that lost Ohtnai and/or traded Trout.. so Arte might be the bad guy that gets the golden parachute and thew new owner the savior, but perhaps thats wishful thinking. .