• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most Despised Angels

23 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jason Dickson and what happened to him is big reason why I hate Terry Collins.  People love to call out the Angels for what they believe is poor management/training, bad behavior these days but it all pales when compared to what they did to him. Jason Dickson was made out to be a pussy by Collins/Bowa and the rest of the red asses until they broke him.

Dickson led all Angels minor leaguers in innings (185), before being called up late in the year (96), and tossing another 43 innings for a total of 228 innings as a 23 year old.  Dickson then led winter ball in innings, then led the Angels pitchers in ST innings (at this point it was estimated he had thrown over 350 innings in the calendar year) .. He then goes on to throw 203 innings at the MLB level (most on the Angels staff that season), as a 24 year old.  The next season he comes back into ST complaining of shoulder pain. Collins and company tell him to stop being soft and throw his way out of it.  His pitching coach tells him they should maybe sit him down given his previous work load but he gets told to stop babying him, so Dickson keeps throwing.  The pain gets worse as the year goes on but Terry Collins just thinks he's bitch, almost says as much publicly.  When his velocity drops he tells him he's not doing enough work between starts. So Dickson starts to overthrow, sees his velocity rise and his effectiveness completely disappear until one day he has no feeling in his fingers.

When they finally opened up his shoulder, Yocum said it was the worst thing he had ever seen, that he couldn't even tell it was a human body, that it looked like hand grenade had gone off inside. 

Next up...  Ken Hill...  

Collins and Bowa, two of the biggest hot heads in franchise history.

Little wonder they faded down the stretch in 1997 and 1998.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:35 AM, Halo in Chicago said:

I wouldn’t say I despised him because I also felt bad for him but it took a long time for my 14 year old self to stop being pissed at Donnie Moore. 

Rather like I was with Lonnie Smith for his baserunning gaffe in the top of the ninth in the seventh game of the 1991 Word Series. If he keeps running instead of being deked by the second baseman, he scores easily on Terry Pendleton's double, and the Braves win the Series. Instead they lose 1-0 in ten and people make Jack Morris a folk hero.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Jason Dickson and what happened to him is big reason why I hate Terry Collins.  People love to call out the Angels for what they believe is poor management/training, bad behavior these days but it all pales when compared to what they did to him. Jason Dickson was made out to be a pussy by Collins/Bowa and the rest of the red asses until they broke him.

Dickson led all Angels minor leaguers in innings (185), before being called up late in the year (96), and tossing another 43 innings for a total of 228 innings as a 23 year old.  Dickson then led winter ball in innings, then led the Angels pitchers in ST innings (at this point it was estimated he had thrown over 350 innings in the calendar year) .. He then goes on to throw 203 innings at the MLB level (most on the Angels staff that season), as a 24 year old.  The next season he comes back into ST complaining of shoulder pain. Collins and company tell him to stop being soft and throw his way out of it.  His pitching coach tells him they should maybe sit him down given his previous work load but he gets told to stop babying him, so Dickson keeps throwing.  The pain gets worse as the year goes on but Terry Collins just thinks he's bitch, almost says as much publicly.  When his velocity drops he tells him he's not doing enough work between starts. So Dickson starts to overthrow, sees his velocity rise and his effectiveness completely disappear until one day he has no feeling in his fingers.

When they finally opened up his shoulder, Yocum said it was the worst thing he had ever seen, that he couldn't even tell it was a human body, that it looked like hand grenade had gone off inside. 

Next up...  Ken Hill...  

Don't leave it as a cliff hanger! Do Ken Hill now!

Brian Fuentes. Never understood bringing in a closer from Colorado. Quickly showed that the home runs that he surrendered were not a product of pitching at Coors Field.

Josh Hamilton. Took tons of money to come over, then played like he couldn't care less. Attitude when caught relapsing into drugs was that the Angels should have known what they were getting when they signed him.

Albert Pujols. Although I don't blame Albert for taking what was offered, his contract and lack of production set the team back years.

On 8/27/2023 at 3:49 PM, daygloman said:

ROTFLOL!

He sure pissed off my Pop way back when!

My Pop never had one good thing to say about Reggie~

Dave Winfield was the same way as Reggie.  Complete A-hole when it came to being warm and fuzzy with fans.

Fast forward to 2019 and I ran into Dave Winfield in McCarran airport and he was sitting alone in a bar near our gate.  I sat next to him, and we chatted a bit.  A little about baseball and a little bit about post-baseball.  He was the nicest guy.

Maybe some of these ex-players needed a little “self checking” back in the day.  Dave Winfield even admitted that in our short conversation.

11 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Dave Winfield was the same way as Reggie.  Complete A-hole when it came to being warm and fuzzy with fans.

When MLB opened the baseball facility in Compton, I went to the grand-opening ceremonies.  Winfield was there that day and as he was signing autographs for a few fans, he looked at his PR guy with a camera and said, "Are you getting this?"

So.. your descriptions sounds spot on to me.

12 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Fast forward to 2019 and I ran into Dave Winfield in McCarran airport and he was sitting alone in a bar near our gate.  I sat next to him, and we chatted a bit.  A little about baseball and a little bit about post-baseball.  He was the nicest guy.

Maybe some of these ex-players needed a little “self checking” back in the day.  Dave Winfield even admitted that in our short conversation.

What happened with my Pop was, Reggie embarassed him.

My Pop used to race Olympic bicycles when I was little.

He always rode long distances up until he was in his seventies.

One day, he rode his bike from Huntngton Beach along the Santa Ana river trail, & caught a day game.

He was watching batting practice all dressed up is his racing bike gear, with one of those short billed hats those types of bike racers wore, & Reggie looked at him, and said very loudly, "what the Hell kind of baseball hat is that?'.

Everyone around all laughed embarassing my Pop, & it pissed him off!

For years, he never really said what pissed him off about Reggie, until just a few short years before he passed.

I always admired Reggie since he was on the A's, & we also share a birthday, so I never understood what pissed off my Pop about him, until one day he told me the story of why.

I'm guessing this happened around 1982.

15 minutes ago, daygloman said:

What happened with my Pop was, Reggie embarassed him.

My Pop used to race Olympic bicycles when I was little.

He always rode long distances up until he was in his seventies.

One day, he rode his bike from Huntngton Beach along the Santa Ana river trail, & caught a day game.

He was watching batting practice all dressed up is his racing bike gear, with one of those short billed hats those types of bike racers wore, & Reggie looked at him, and said very loudly, "what the Hell kind of baseball hat is that?'.

Everyone around all laughed embarassing my Pop, & it pissed him off!

For years, he never really said what pissed him off about Reggie, until just a few short years before he passed.

I always admired Reggie since he was on the A's, & we also share a birthday, so I never understood what pissed off my Pop about him, until one day he told me the story of why.

I'm guessing this happened around 1982.

Thanks for sharing the story.  I love hearing stuff like this... it's part a big part of baseball, IMO.  It's all about the stories with baseball as the backdrop.

1. Pujols
  2. Vernon Wells
  3. two way tie between Luis Sojo/Junior Felix. Just a horrible trade for us as usual. Then that fat-faced fk Sojo goes to SEA and hits the "3-hopper heard around the world" in the 1-game playoff disaster after doing absolutely nothing in Anaheim.

20 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Brian Fuentes. Never understood bringing in a closer from Colorado. Quickly showed that the home runs that he surrendered were not a product of pitching at Coors Field.

Josh Hamilton. Took tons of money to come over, then played like he couldn't care less. Attitude when caught relapsing into drugs was that the Angels should have known what they were getting when they signed him.

Albert Pujols. Although I don't blame Albert for taking what was offered, his contract and lack of production set the team back years.

Fuentes had 48 saves and got the job done until that 0-2 pitch to Arod.

Our current CO closer has had a pretty good year too. 

21 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Fuentes was one of the best closers in baseball in Colorado. He wasn't giving up tons of home runs in Colorado. He started giving up more home runs and hits once he came to Anaheim.

He gave up .4 HR per nine innings his last year in Colorado. He gave up 1 HR per 9 innings his first year in Anaheim.

His whip jumped from 1.1 in Colorado to 1.4 in Anaheim. 

Relievers are erratic.