• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager / GM Candidates

Hubs

9 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

In 1961 who was Gene Autrey first choice to be manager. It was manager Yankees fired after 1960 season. He declined but in 1962 became first manager of NY Mets.

Stengel turned down the manager position but Autry did hire him as a special advisor for the 1961 expansion draft. 

What Angels' brass wants from next manager

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-look-for-next-manager-after-parting-ways-with-phil-nevin

“I think there's general things you look for from a leadership level,” Minasian said. “Presence, respect, honesty, I think are probably right up there. And there’s obviously more to it. But those are generally things you’re looking for in a leadership role.”

-----

But not experience...?

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

What Angels' brass wants from next manager

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-look-for-next-manager-after-parting-ways-with-phil-nevin

“I think there's general things you look for from a leadership level,” Minasian said. “Presence, respect, honesty, I think are probably right up there. And there’s obviously more to it. But those are generally things you’re looking for in a leadership role.”

-----

But not experience...?

Of course this person will have experience.  It may not be as a manager at the big league level. It may not be as manager of a minor league team. But they will hire someone who has experience in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course this person will have experience.  It may not be as a manager at the big league level. It may not be as manager of a minor league team. But they will hire someone who has experience in the game. 

Sure, it's just not a primary consideration. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sure, it's just not a primary consideration. 

When you speak for a living there are times you don’t say every single thing on a list of things that are important. It’s a throw away statement about the qualities you are looking for.  It was a horrible question and an equally bad answer. 

17 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

FFS why does Erstad’s name come up over and over and over and over and over again? He isn’t a candidate, never was a candidate and has never indicated he would ever even be remotely interested in doing anything other than what he is doing now.  In fact I think he has said “I have no interest” if I recall correctly.

The guy played for this team like 17 years ago and had a reputation for being a grinder, so fans liked him.  Is that really all it takes to be permanently the automatic knee-jerk reaction to who should manage this team?

Be a “hustle” player for a couple of years and you are forever a managerial candidate?  Is that about how it works?

You are going to just love it when they hire David Fletcher a few years from now. 

18 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

FFS why does Erstad’s name come up over and over and over and over and over again? He isn’t a candidate, never was a candidate and has never indicated he would ever even be remotely interested in doing anything other than what he is doing now.  In fact I think he has said “I have no interest” if I recall correctly.

The guy played for this team like 17 years ago and had a reputation for being a grinder, so fans liked him.  Is that really all it takes to be permanently the automatic knee-jerk reaction to who should manage this team?

Be a “hustle” player for a couple of years and you are forever a managerial candidate?  Is that about how it works?

After Interview With Dodgers, Darin Erstad Stands by Cornhuskers - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Only 2/10 of the managers in this current postseason were managers of a previous club before their current (Bochy and Dusty)

Not sure how important this stat is. For example the TB manager (Cash) is in his 9th season. Only one team but 9 years of experience. Baker has managed 3 different teams in the last 9 years.

Mathis, Mattingly, Ray Montgomery, Espada.  Someone who understands that there are only 27 outs to a game, and we can't afford to waste any.  

Someone who will play more players like Schanuel and Stefanic, guys who know the value of being on base ahead of our power guys.  

And, a batting coach that teaches those philosophies.  

21 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Someone who will play more players like Schanuel and Stefanic, guys who know the value of being on base ahead of our power guys.  

I agree with what you said @AngelStew43, but this is all dependent on if our “power guys” can stay healthy for more than half the year, of which hasn’t happened in the last several seasons.

Ray Montgomery will last one season, and then he and Minasian will both be fired. You can't manage games from the front office. You can prepare your coaches, prepare your pitchers and hitters, but you have to let them do it on their own. 

If all of you are pro-Minasian, you have to see that he did a terrible job on the field for the past three years, especially post Maddon? The Angels are 223-263 in the three years under Minasian, with Maddon was 104-114, with Perry 119-149.... In a few more games, they were 30 games under with Nevin and Minasian calling the games from the front office.

They had the AL MVP 2x in that span. And Trout, who when healthy is still a top 10 player in the league. Maybe Minasian isn't doing a good job calling it from the front office?

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Ray Montgomery will last one season, and then he and Minasian will both be fired. You can't manage games from the front office. You can prepare your coaches, prepare your pitchers and hitters, but you have to let them do it on their own. 

If all of you are pro-Minasian, you have to see that he did a terrible job on the field for the past three years, especially post Maddon? The Angels are 223-263 in the three years under Minasian, with Maddon was 104-114, with Perry 119-149.... In a few more games, they were 30 games under with Nevin and Minasian calling the games from the front office.

They had the AL MVP 2x in that span. And Trout, who when healthy is still a top 10 player in the league. Maybe Minasian isn't doing a good job calling it from the front office?

Who said Montgomery was going to be manager?  Also you know absolutely nothing about whatever “Minasian calling games from the field” even means.  It’s been reported by Jeff and others that all in game decisions have been left to the managers.  The arrogance you speak with in your posts claiming to know exactly what’s going on when it’s been proven you know incredibly little is absurd