• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (8/9/23) Giants @ Angels: Ohtani on the mound

One thing I don't see discussed enough about a possible Ohtani signing with another ream, players don't seem to build as strong a legacy if they play for multiple teams.  Maybe Trout has pointed this out to Ohtani, as I think this is what Trout believes for himself.  Pujols is an example of bailing out on your first team, and never becoming as established after that.  Examples the other way are Derek Jeter in NY, Garret Anderson (Garret did leave eventually but not until his productive years were done) and Tim Salmon with the Angels, and Ted Williams in Boston.  There are plenty of others to point at both ways.  Ichiro spent most of his productive career in Seattle.  Darvish moved around, now there is no connection to any one team.  Maybe in the end that won't matter to Ohtani, but I have to feeling he wants to build a legacy as much as win a World Series.

Let's hope Ohtani's legacy builds more tonight. 

2 minutes ago, tomsred said:

One thing I don't see discussed enough about a possible Ohtani signing with another ream, players don't seem to build as strong a legacy if they play for multiple teams.  Maybe Trout has pointed this out to Ohtani, as I think this is what Trout believes for himself.  Pujols is an example of bailing out on your first team, and never becoming as established after that.  Examples the other way are Derek Jeter in NY, Garret Anderson (Garret did leave eventually but not until his productive years were done) and Tim Salmon with the Angels, and Ted Williams in Boston.  There are plenty of others to point at both ways.  Ichiro spent most of his productive career in Seattle.  Darvish moved around, now there is no connection to any one team.  Maybe in the end that won't matter to Ohtani, but I have to feeling he wants to build a legacy as much as win a World Series.  

He's been here 6 years, all of them the prime years of Trout and likely himself, too, plus Rendon, and his legacy thus far is "potentially the greatest player ever and the team is such a joke that they can't even make the playoffs". Maybe to actually have a better legacy, he needs to go somewhere else. 

45 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Bought some tickets on StubHub. Taking my kids to see Ohtani play while he still has an Angels uniform on.

Hae fun, and be loud - was in the other room last night when I heard loud cheering - I knew the Giants were batting and thought "someone made a great play" - came in to see the Flores had hit a home run.  

I mean, I've come to expect that when playing the Red Sox, the Yankees or the Dodgers - but Giants fans?  

25 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's been here 6 years, all of them the prime years of Trout and likely himself, too, plus Rendon, and his legacy thus far is "potentially the greatest player ever and the team is such a joke that they can't even make the playoffs". Maybe to actually have a better legacy, he needs to go somewhere else. 

Did Ted Williams need a better legacy? Asking for a friend

42 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Do you really believe that one player can make a difference, I don't.  Do you think the two players can make a real difference, I don't.  It takes at least 4-5 position players playing at their peak performance without significant injury  to create a successful year.  You also need a much stronger pitching staff (starters and relievers) than we currently have).

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Some people seem to hope Ohtani leaves.

33 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Do you really believe that one player can make a difference, I don't.  Do you think the two players can make a real difference, I don't.  It takes at least 4-5 position players playing at their peak performance without significant injury  to create a successful year.  You also need a much stronger pitching staff (starters and relievers) than we currently have).

You also have to have average guys filling out the Roster.  

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

That is a very interesting perspective. It is good that you brought that up. 

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

We’re lucky to be watching him all this time.  Ohtani’s career could end any day, what he’s doing isn’t sustainable because his body could breakdown.