• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The offense in June (and now July)

Just a few numbers for everyone:

.259/.341/.477 - very nice!  

How about if you subtract a game where your offense score 25 runs because it's an outlier and wins you a single game?

.242/.325/.450 - still pretty good.  

How about without Shohei the one man team?

.220/.300/.327 - whoops.  

I know everyone knows that the rest of the offense has sucked outside of the two things above.  I just wanted to put some data behind it and it was far worse than I expected.  

to put it into perspective even more, they had the third best wRC+ in baseball for the month of june.  Minus Ohtani, they'd have been dead last by a fair amount.  

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I honestly wonder if Shohei had the best month in major league history:

126 PA, .394/.492/.952, 15 HR, 279 wRC+, 2.8 fWAR

30.1 IP, 11 BB - 37 Ks, 3.26 ERA, 0.6 fWAR

= 3.4 fWAR total

That’s a solid season of production for most players.  Isn’t three WAR above average regular production?

33 minutes ago, Revad said:

That’s a solid season of production for most players.  Isn’t three WAR above average regular production?

Yeah, about. I believe BR and FG consider 2 average, but the median for all qualifiers in a given year is around 2.7. 650 PA is more like 3.3, but only players near the top of the lineup usually get that many PA. I tend to think of 2.5ish as the over/under on "average." 1.5 - 2.5 is mediocre (for a regular), 2.5 - 4.0 is "average to good." 4.0 is when you get into borderline star territory.

To put it another way, Shohei's 3.4 fWAR in June is higher than 3 of Torii Hunter's 5 Angels seasons, 9 of his 14 career qualify seasons. In other words, a typical good Torii Hunter season.

9 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Without Ohtani we're a fourth-place team. A solid #4.

Get it done, Arte! It's the right thing to do.

It’s not going to happen. Just enjoy watching him rack up the accolades in his final year with the team. 

I don’t think there’s any way Ohtani is not an Angel come next year. He loves it here, and if he’s not signed long term, the franchise would take such an incredible hit! He has become so big, especially for the franchise, there’s just no way Arte doesn’t see this. I have a nephew visiting Japan as we speak, and Ohtani and his accolades are everywhere in Japan. He is Japan right now. 

Besides, there’s no way Arte wants to go down in baseball history as the guy who lost the Goat.

If they somehow manage before next season to sign/trade for a high end position player with good defense, and a solid starter, maybe Ohtani's loss won't be devastating. 

Ohtani is a non factor defensively. Where the Angels are below average. If they get a run producer and/or high on base veteran with excellent defense  then the lineup is more versatile. 

Add on a proven starter who can go every five games and hope for progress from the current youngsters and an upgraded bullpen. 

You lose the mystique, glamor and historical icon factor. And the uniqueness of a two way player. But if six years of this still doesn't lead to a playoff appearance, why expect more if Ohtani's salary precludes adding more quality depth? 

Anyone can fill at DH, but adding a two way offense/defense player brings a new dynamic to the mix. 

20 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Just a few numbers for everyone:

.259/.341/.477 - very nice!  

How about if you subtract a game where your offense score 25 runs because it's an outlier and wins you a single game?

.242/.325/.450 - still pretty good.  

How about without Shohei the one man team?

.220/.300/.327 - whoops.  

I know everyone knows that the rest of the offense has sucked outside of the two things above.  I just wanted to put some data behind it and it was far worse than I expected.  

to put it into perspective even more, they had the third best wRC+ in baseball for the month of june.  Minus Ohtani, they'd have been dead last by a fair amount.  

It's not all about Ohtani. Subtract Drury's June of .337/.377/.531/.908 and the Angels as a team still plummets.

Oh yeah, you get to see that subtraction in July since he has gone on the IL and not due back until the 14th.

Maybe Neto will be back soon, Urshela sure won't be. O'Hoppe may be and that changes the catching production that has been stellar compared to the previous several seasons but Wallach is easily the odd man out if you want offense. 

The Angels could improve by simply putting all of the starters back on the field. As a complete core they feed off of each other better than a squad of Squids and AAAA players covering holes.

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

= 3.4 fWAR total

That is insane. 3.4 WAR in a month. What is Trout's record?

Another observation. 

Every playoff team of the last six years got there without Ohtani. If he needs replacing it will force a rethink, and a by necessity, a different way of going forward. 

Unless Arte lives in a Groundhog Day state of mind and insists on the same approach. Big names, big bats, bloated salaries and an unbalanced roster and low end farm system. 

After Pujols, Trout and Ohtani, then Trout, Ohtani and Rendon, couldn't move the needle together or individually maybe it's time to consult/hire from the best available minds in baseball and trust their wisdom. 

12 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Unless Arte lives in a Groundhog Day state of mind and insists on the same approach. Big names, big bats, bloated salaries and an unbalanced roster and low end farm system. 

You just defined signing Ohtani. 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:24 PM, Angelsjunky said:

= 3.4 fWAR total

IMG_8148.jpeg