• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

After the 1/4 point of the season are the angels a playoff team ?

In your opinion are the angels a playoff team as is?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Angels are a playoff team

• Yes
    • No

They need to get on multiple hot streaks. Not necessarily one long streak, but consistently winning series  winning four of six, six of ten, and so on. Just build a record that grows to around eight to ten or better above .500 and close out the season strong. 

That requires consistent pitching. Strong  starters and decent relief. The longer the starters can go, the better it should be for the bullpen. Clutch hitting also will be critical. Executing well in clutch situations, not necessarily putting up huge individual numbers, but playing in sync as a team. And improvement on defense. 

Right now I think they are on the fringes of wild card contention. They have lost three series in a row, and can't build on any success. That simply has to change. There are too many teams equal or better right now. 

Most of the season is still ahead, but it's hard to see the current starting pitching getting better enough to change the current trajectory. A trade or addition could be a factor, and maybe one of the 3 - 5 starters gets hot. But the signs just aren't there presently. As well, Trout has to carry the team at some point like he has before. Ohtani will slug around the same pace, and he has to stay the ace. But Trout gives an emotional lift when he's hot that no one else on the team can.

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

If the halos are within 5 or less (for either wc or division) at the trade deadline, then they have to make a run for it with Ohtani.   5-8 is grey area (depending on how many teams are ahead of them).   9+ =trade time

Other variables are injury status on Angels and other teams ahead of them, Ohtani production, Trout production.

For me if halos 6 back playing around 500 with 4 or more teams in front of them they should trade him. 

On 5/16/2023 at 2:48 PM, Swordsman78 said:

Almost every team in the league could be 5 games better than they are.   The Angels also won a few they had no biz winning as well.  The season will hopefully come down to August and Sept.  I would be satisfied if the halos were within 3 games of the West leader going into August.

I count three wins where they should have lost.  9 losses they just gave away the game.  They should be 5-6 games better

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I count three wins where they should have lost.  9 losses they just gave away the game.  They should be 5-6 games better

ok so 3% difference over the season, assuming it doesn't even out.  Obviously if over the next 40 games we give away 3% more than we steal, then that trend would need to be turned around quickly by the end of Aug.

11 hours ago, RenoHalo said:

I think Texas is going to win the division by a pretty decent margin. I could see them going to the WS. I have zero faith in the Angels to get any better than they already are right now. I don't think they'll finish over .500. I hope I'm wrong.

Texas is going to have to significantly improve their bullpen to go to the World Series.

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels, for all of the crap they’ve endured so far, have a better record than 6 teams that made the playoffs in 2022.

Seattle, Cleveland, Philly, Mets, Cardinals, Padres

Those teams, unlike the Angels, have better track records that would lead you to believe they can turn it around and be a playoff team.

A couple of those teams (Seattle and Philly) did exactly that last season.

You saw all those teams make the playoffs last year. You didn’t see the Angels make the playoffs last year, which makes it harder to envision them being successful.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

Those teams, unlike the Angels, have better track records that would lead you to believe they can turn it around and be a playoff team.

A couple of those teams (Seattle and Philly) did exactly that last season.

You saw all those teams make the playoffs last year. You didn’t see the Angels make the playoffs last year decade which makes it harder to envision them being successful.

Fixed

Stats say the Angels are 2nd in the AL for runs scored, 5th for home runs. That is a playoff team offensively.

Team pitching puts them just slightly above league average at a 105 OPS+, but that still places them 10th in adjusted ERA. What is interesting is their ERA and FIP are almost identical. That's a third place in your division team.

Unfortunately the defense has to take the field. They are first in errors and last in fielding percentage. That is a lottery pick team.

Can they be playoff bound? Changes have to be made.

When Walsh comes back that benches a lot of bad gloves covering first base. It may even prove to be an upgrade in the offense as well, sitting a bad glove and marginal bat like Drury and Urshela. Reduced lost outs at first base changes the complexion of the pitching staff, not giving other teams extra free outs in random innings. 

Defensive improvements in the outfield could move the team forward. Ward has never been fast running down balls in right or left field, his arm is only just good. His bat was excuse enough to keep him out there but that bat has gone cold. Moniak looks to be a better defender and his bat seems to play in the majors, maybe not a power threat but able to keep innings alive. Adell is crushing AAA pitching and could be a mid season replacement if Ward can't right his offense output. 

Renfroe is a bit of a butcher in right field. Anything near the wall is an adventure, he doesn't play carroms well, he doesn't have that sure of the glove on anything but average plays. He does have a good arm and his bat was part of the Angels early success. He loves hitting at Angels stadium with a 1.288 ops but is Mathis on the road dropping to a .488 OPS. Yes, you read that correctly, his road slash line is .186/.232/.255/.486 which makes this a clown world split. He is replaceable if those splits don't improve. 

Third base! Yes, Rendon is Jekyl and Hyde, both being able to play and being able to convert plays in the field. He has good range and gloves just about everything. Where he is going to throw the ball is always a question mark and it isn't even on high difficulty plays, his mistakes seem to arise during the routine. I think Urshela is a better defender but that would leave Drury at 2nd base, who is not a good defender at any position. Overall I think the Angels are best off with Rendon at 3rd and Urshela at 2nd for the best defense and offense. If Rengifo could hit he is in the mix to rest Rendon and cover other infield spots but that bat needs to wake up. In any scenario, Drury should be the last choice to improve defense.

Catching. O'Hoppe's injury destroyed what was going to be one of the strongest positions on the team with Stassi's absence leaving a big hole. We are down to the 3rd and 4th string as the starting duo. Thaiss seems to be holding his own, even with little MLB experience. His 119 OPS+ brings offense to a position that has been devoid of it. Wallach is smoke and mirrors with the bat and if Stassi ever returns he is back to AAA. Defense behind the plate is not really an issue but but could be elevated. 

Just improving the run suppression from a glove standpoint rather than a pitching overhaul (which, honestly can't happen) would sure help the Angels chances at a playoff. Today there have been a couple plays that allowed runners to advance and score. Soto reaching a grounder to the right side but threw wide of 1st. Renfroe not being able to make a play off the wall which ended up a double. Ward unable to throw out a runner taking home on a short fly ball to left field. Those plays cost runs and extended innings which including a 2 run home run when Anderson should have already been in the dugout.

This is where playoff teams win games, on plays they should make. 

I think they can make the playoffs with some defensive improvements, pitching help from the minors and releasing or trading those players that are not additive to the playoff run goal, replacing them with better in house solutions. 

I think the record reflects what this team is.  Pretty hot and cold and slightly above average.  The SP has been a pretty big disappointment led by Suarez and to a lesser extent Detmers.  I didn't like the signing of T. Anderson and he hasn't shown very much with very shaky control. However Perry's other moves have worked out pretty well.  Estevez, Moore, Renfroe, are performing at or near their career highs. Gio has been fine though his lack of power concerns me, Drury after a very cold start has been at his career norms.  If the SP improves, and I'm fairly confident Detmers will improve as the season continues, the Angels can possibly sneak in as a WC.