• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Round of MLB Expansion Thread - Nashville, Portland, Salt Lake, Charlotte, Montreal, Orlando all on radar

mmc

What cities do you want to see become MLB’s 31 and 32?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What cities do you want to see become MLB’s 31 and 32?

10 hours ago, eaterfan said:

SLC has a much smaller metro area population (1.2 vs 3.3, practically 1/3 the size, Portland metro is about the same as all of Utah)

Hmm that seems way off to me.  SLC exclusive of Ogden and Provo might be 1.2m.  But this says Ogden-SLC-Provo area is 2.7 million.  And this says Portand-Vancouver metro area is 2.5 million.

When I travel through SLC it feels like a similar size metro area to here.

2 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Hmm that seems way off to me.  SLC exclusive of Ogden and Provo might be 1.2m.  But this says Ogden-SLC-Provo area is 2.7 million.  And this says Portand-Vancouver metro area is 2.5 million.

When I travel through SLC it feels like a similar size metro area to here.

I just went with this number for SLC. It uses the OMB and US Census definition of what the metro area is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City_metropolitan_area

I think you are right about Portland. I looked at a more inclusive number there, it included Salem for some reason. 2.5 million is the official number from the OMB and Census.

Thanks for checking on those. The Portland number definitely surprised me.

I do agree with the board left that we don't need another team in Florida though. Both teams are moderately supported but they also both rank near the bottom in payroll, and while the Rays and Florida are headed towards a new stadium deal, playing this many years at Tropicana was never the intent.

Pick a couple locations that aren't where Spring Training is played.

And hopefully the Angels can get this ballpark business sorted out soon. Otherwise, they may be on the move, like many smart former Californians.

18 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

It's the old Orange Bowl site, isn't it?

When I went to the Orange Bowl with the Oklahoma band, we were warned not to stray into the surrounding neighborhood because it was a combat zone. This was in 1975, and I doubt that time has improved it.

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

I do agree with the board left that we don't need another team in Florida though. Both teams are moderately supported but they also both rank near the bottom in payroll, and while the Rays and Florida are headed towards a new stadium deal, playing this many years at Tropicana was never the intent.

And hopefully the Angels can get this ballpark business sorted out soon. Otherwise, they may be on the move, like many smart former Californians.

The Angels wont move. It would be probably the dumbest decision any major league owner has ever made. The team has sucked for years while playing in the 4th oldest stadium in the league and yet they remain one of the most profitable teams in the league.

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Angels wont move. It would be probably the dumbest decision any major league owner has ever made. The team has sucked for years while playing in the 4th oldest stadium in the league and yet they remain one of the most profitable teams in the league.

Purely from a demographic standpoint, moving from the immediate area would be a poor decision. While California's population is shrinking at an alarming rate (it would actually be much worse if it weren't for a porous border), LA metro area (basically everything North of Camp Pendleton, South of Bakersfield and West of San Bernardino) has a sizeable enough population to sustain two successful MLB franchises. 

I think it would be best for the Angels to remain in Anaheim and for the vacinity to be developed properly. But if they don't, there's still lots of locations that they could relocate to in the LA area. 

Vegas was actually the biggest threat toward luring the Angels out of the area but now that the A's are moving there, there's no other threat, I don't think. 

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think the Angels will move either but I would not completely rule out that if Arte is still owning the team when the decision to be made on a new stadium is imminent that he would look elsewhere if he can't get as much public funding from this area as he would like.  

The Angels could leave Anaheim, but I'm not really sure where they would go. They are currently situated quite well in terms of distance from their fan base. They could move closer to downtown but that is Dodger country and the type of thing that will alienate the current fan base. A move south is a move further away from the overall population center. This is also ignoring the benefit they must get from all the tourism heading to Disneyland. 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:41 PM, Second Base said:

If you think for any second that the Angels are leaving the Greater Los Angeles Metro area, you are mistaken. Despite politics of "Moving out of California" or whatever, it's simply 100% not happening. It's not even in the realm of possibility.

Bally Sports may be in Trouble, but the Angels, as the "Second" team in the market get $150M per year for broadcast rights, whereas teams in the smaller markets maybe get $30. So that alone, not even the 3M attendance for decades or whatever, completely invalidates any chance of them leaving GTLA.

I could see them moving to Tustin, or a different Anaheim site, or Long Beach, but they most likely are staying put right where they are. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

If you think for any second that the Angels are leaving the Greater Los Angeles Metro area, you are mistaken. Despite politics of "Moving out of California" or whatever, it's simply 100% not happening. It's not even in the realm of possibility.

Bally Sports may be in Trouble, but the Angels, as the "Second" team in the market get $150M per year for broadcast rights, whereas teams in the smaller markets maybe get $30. So that alone, not even the 3M attendance for decades or whatever, completely invalidates any chance of them leaving GTLA.

I could see them moving to Tustin, or a different Anaheim site, or Long Beach, but they most likely are staying put right where they are. 

You must not have read follow up comments where I said basically exactly what you just said, with all that fire in your belly.