• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Round of MLB Expansion Thread - Nashville, Portland, Salt Lake, Charlotte, Montreal, Orlando all on radar

mmc

What cities do you want to see become MLB’s 31 and 32?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What cities do you want to see become MLB’s 31 and 32?

It's interesting to read the perceptions of Portland in this. I never lived there when I was in Oregon but my brother did. He was in a nice part of town (SW) so perhaps that is clouding my judgment but I think it's a nice city. Great food and beer. Good sports city as well although baseball is a different animal with the number of home games and size of stadiums so not sure if it would work or not. Certainly has better odds of success compared to Orlando though.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

SLC shouldn’t be anywhere near the bottom, I would have them as one of the favorites at this point.  They have a notable group coming together, endorsement from the governor, and with the upcoming Olympic bid we know the city is fully prepared to dump money into sports right now.

Good job changing my mind. It isn't often someone changes their mind on the internet, but I see your argument and honestly, it makes sense. I'd rather them over Portland in a heartbeat. 

45 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

It's interesting to read the perceptions of Portland in this. I never lived there when I was in Oregon but my brother did. He was in a nice part of town (SW) so perhaps that is clouding my judgment but I think it's a nice city. Great food and beer. Good sports city as well although baseball is a different animal with the number of home games and size of stadiums so not sure if it would work or not. Certainly has better odds of success compared to Orlando though.

How long ago was that?

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

How long ago was that?

He moved about a year and a half ago. Last time I visited him there was roughly 4 years ago. About a decade ago, I quit my previous job to travel and ended up staying with him for about a month at one point. That would be the most I have to go off of so obviously some time has gone by since then.

31 minutes ago, Paolo11 said:

I've had the misfortune of traveling to Portland a few times over the last year, and that is a big fat NO.  Carolina, Tennessee, Utah.... or someplace in-between like Oklahoma.  They could all support MLB.  I've been to all those places, and somewhere roughly in the 35-40 degree range. 

Lol @ Oklahoma

42 minutes ago, Paolo11 said:

I've had the misfortune of traveling to Portland a few times over the last year, and that is a big fat NO.  Carolina, Tennessee, Utah.... or someplace in-between like Oklahoma.  They could all support MLB.  I've been to all those places, and somewhere roughly in the 35-40 degree range. 

You're shit talking Portland and throwing out Oklahoma? That's one helluva take

3 hours ago, Tank said:

montreal and salt lake city

i chose SLC mostly so the angels would have another team reasonably close by.

SLC so the Angels could move their AAA team somewhere else.  

And the bay area is gonna need another team.  San Jose could support one.  I know it's not on the list but that would make sense to me.  

17 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

And the bay area is gonna need another team.  San Jose could support one.  I know it's not on the list but that would make sense to me.  

Don't the Giants have some sort of territorial rights in place that prevent a move to San Jose? Pretty sure the A's tried to move to there at one point but the Giants stepped in and blocked.

16 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Don't the Giants have some sort of territorial rights in place that prevent a move to San Jose? Pretty sure the A's tried to move to there at one point but the Giants stepped in and blocked.

Yep, though if Manfred were smart (we already know he isn't), he would negotiate with the Giants to leave some part of the bay area (likely SJ, maybe Sacramento?) open for potential expansion/relocation in the future.  Bay Area is absolutely big enough for 2 teams and I'd be shocked if MLB (mainly Arte, Guggenheim) are fine with letting the Giants taking a similar additional leap to becoming a powerhouse that we saw the Padres take after the Chargers left and there was a lot more corporate/fan support to go around

My current ranking in terms of likelihood among the current group (excited to see who else joins the bidding):

1. Nashville

2. Salt Lake

3. Portland

4. Charlotte

5. Montreal

6. Orlando (swap them with Montreal IF the Rays relocate from the Tampa/Orlando area)

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

Terrible idea. Bay Area is witnessing a mass exodus of tax payers and a mass influx of transients. Politics in the area are a mess and if the region as a whole hardly supported the Athletics before, they certainly won't actively support an expansion team, particularly through their growing pains, nor fund a major league stadium. 

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

Good thinking.

I think they should add a team in El Segundo.  Let's make it really convenient.

Another team in SoCal is a way better idea than putting one in some of these hodunk towns being mentioned. Put a third team in New York or how about… and here is a real crazy idea.. a second team in the bay area.

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Of course the only reason the A’s aren’t already in San Jose was because the Giants blocked them.

I skipped school and was at the first Expos game. . Also saw hundreds in person.  Mostly in the seventies and early eighties till I moved from Montreal. As well as some more on visits in later years.

A few odds and ends remaining from my sports collection. Autographs of the entire 1981 team. A few ticket stubs from that year. And a 1970s scorecard. 

But you can't go home anymore as the quote goes. I personally would have a casual interest, but my ties to the city are mostly in the past. Other than hockey.  I think they deserve another shot for a number of reasons. Ironically, Washington got the Expos as a third franchise there. 

There has been a steady lobbying by influential people, including a few serious  stadium plans. Before I moved the support was strong and the crowds were big. I wasn't there for the decline and carpetbagging. The final blow was really the 1994 strike. Probably their best season in history aborted by Selig and company. Fans never overcame their cynicism after that as the team was dismantled and intentionally stripped of assets.

20220102_215441.jpg

20200613_223708.jpg

20220104_172755.jpg

48 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Terrible idea. Bay Area is witnessing a mass exodus of tax payers and a mass influx of transients. Politics in the area are a mess and if the region as a whole hardly supported the Athletics before, they certainly won't actively support an expansion team, particularly through their growing pains, nor fund a major league stadium. 

Lol, so you’ve settled on the idea that the best place for expansion is where ever the tax payers are willing to get conned out of the most money to build a stadium?