• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte stepped in, told Perry to let Nevin do his job???

Hubs

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

That’s odd because when I read Minasian’s book, I was very surprised about the issues that seem to be caused by Maddon.

Does Minasian have a book?

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess you missed the point.

I did not. I think the demonization of Maddon and the worship of Minasian is ridiculous, to be honest.

Stats have a place in the game, but as you can see from the Angels middling results with Nevin (so far) and Ausmus, sometimes there is more than just stats. 

Scioscia had his faults, for sure, but I for one think the grass was definitely not greener when they let him go.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

I think the thread title needs at least one more question mark. Possibly more. 

Will edit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just now, Hubs said:

I did not. I think the demonization of Maddon and the worship of Minasian is ridiculous, to be honest.

Stats have a place in the game, but as you can see from the Angels middling results with Nevin (so far) and Ausmus, sometimes there is more than just stats. 

Scioscia had his faults, for sure, but I for one think the grass was definitely not greener when they let him go.

Well I don’t demonize Maddon nor do I worship Minasian.  I was merely saying basing an opinion on content from a book written by a fired guy about issues with the guy that fired him is, at best, one side of a story, and at worst could be total nonsense.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Well I don’t demonize Maddon nor do I worship Minasian.  I was merely saying basing an opinion on content from a book written by a fired guy about issues with the guy that fired him is, at best, one side of a story, and at worst could be total nonsense.

Ok, Agreed.

I doubt it was all made up, though, especially with this allegation coming to light and the relevant stats to back it up, especially bullpen usage and stolen bases.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Arte Moreno hires the GMs.

But he should leave the baseball decisions to his FO and manager to work on, except for signing off on acquisitions (and NOT initiating them).

Right, but should the GM be dictating in game decisions? That's the point of this "stepping in".

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Jesus Christ.   You don't even have to LIKE Minasian to see how completely fucking self absorbed Maddon is.  Any talk about "worship" needs to start with the Maddon cult that made him out to be something he wasn't.  The dude wore out his welcome in Chicago, then did the same in Anaheim in damn near record time despite having an owner that absolutely loved the guy.  I bet if you polled the guys that played under both him and Ausmus they likely tell you they preferred Ausmus.

Maddon's genius was built upon having worked under the two best GMs in MLB history since Branch Rickey. Everyone saw how he almost blew a WS and then painfully wasted an absolutely loaded Cubs roster.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jesus Christ.   You don't even have to LIKE Minasian to see how completely fucking self absorbed Maddon is.  Any talk about "worship" needs to start with the Maddon cult that made him out to be something he wasn't.  The dude wore out his welcome in Chicago, then did the same in Anaheim in damn near record time despite having an owner that absolutely loved the guy.  I bet if you polled the guys that played under both him and Ausmus they likely tell you they preferred Ausmus.

Maddon's genius was built upon having worked under the two best GMs in MLB history since Branch Rickey. Everyone saw how he almost blew a WS and then painfully wasted an absolutely loaded Cubs roster.

Oh I agree with that. I just take the side of the guy with results. He won a WS with the Cubs. 

Had success with Tampa and their low payroll, even when he wasn't supposed to. He did well here as a coach for years. He also has a personality that is a love him or hate him. I don't think he wore out his welcome as much as he didn't have the support of the GM who wanted way more say with the in game stuff than Maddon was comfortable with, and apparently Nevin is comfortable with too.

Ausmus was a bad manager with Detroit. He didn't do well with the Angels either in his one year. Nevin was fired by the Yankees, as a coach, and Minasian has zero experience being in charge, prior to this. 

We don't know what the players think, but Maddon was beloved by players here, in Tampa, and in Chicago. 

And your thought on the two best GM's since Branch Rickey...Friedman was a rookie GM and he got on fine with Maddon, so...and Epstein obviously had conflicts at the end, but they seemed to work together fine at the beginning...

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Why do you feel the need to White Knight for Perry?  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Who said he didn’t?

common sense says he didn't

they promoted Nevin to interim manager on the same day Maddon was fired, they gave Nevin an extension before last season ended, and they never opened up a search or interview process

I don't know whether the report is true, but it is curious that the Angels SB numbers have exponentially increased since that Oakland game on 4/24.

And IF Arte was gonna tell Perry to "let Nevin do his job," it makes sense that it would've came after that disaster on 4/24 where Estevez was unavailable and they tried to close it out with Wantz/Barria.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

common sense says he didn't

they promoted Nevin to interim manager on the same day Maddon was fired, they gave Nevin an extension before last season ended, and they never opened up a search or interview process

They extended Nevin for one year because everyone thought the team was being sold.  No legitimate manager would have interviewed for the position right after the season ended, given the uncertainty surrounding the ownership. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

They extended Nevin for one year because everyone thought the team was being sold.  No legitimate manager would have interviewed for the position right after the season ending, given the uncertainty surrounding the ownership. 

yeah, I know that.

My point was that Arte should've never put Perry in that position.

Just now, Trendon said:

yeah, I know that.

My point was that Arte should've never put Perry in that position.

I don't really get your point, then. When the season was coming to an end, Moreno was planning on selling the team.  I agree that Moreno botched the whole sale situation, but I don't think it could have played out any differently than it did, given the circumstances. 

28 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't really get your point, then. When the season was coming to an end, Moreno was planning on selling the team.  I agree that Moreno botched the whole sale situation, but I don't think it could have played out any differently than it did, given the circumstances. 

My point is just that. Moreno botched the whole sale situation.

Make up your mind either way so that you don't put the team in a bad position. He didn't do that, and that's what I'm still upset about.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

They extended Nevin for one year because everyone thought the team was being sold. 

And it's probably why he signed the extension.

Then a few months later, he logged into AW.com for the great news and had to read through 11 pages as he said "fuuuuuuuuuckkkkk"

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

Look who's coming around on Nevin.....and its only May 2!