• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023-2024 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

It'll be tough to tank that bad next season. Losing Eakins in favor a a coach that introduces the concept of defense will be worthy 10-15 points

Our defense won't be much better next year unless Verbeek brings a couple guys in. 

I'm not saying we'll do as poorly as this year. But we have nothing but prospects besides Fowler. And, Fowler isn't anything special on D. Not to mention our forwards have a long way to come defensively.

We won't know until we're in Sept. So, I'll wait to see the changes at that point.

1 minute ago, deepdrive said:

I also think this increases the possibility that Verbeek tries to trade prospects for another 1st round pick in this draft.

I think Verbeek might be set.

1. McTavish/Rico/Terry
  2. Fantilli/Z/Strome
  3. Lundestrom/Vatrano/Nesterenko
  4. Carrick/Silfverberg/Jones

Nesterenko is probably the only big ? mark.  But as a third pairing, he was pretty exciting the brief games he played.  And if not him, Regenda looked really good and for some reason got sent down last season.  Everyone else has a contract pretty much next season.

On D.

1. Fowler/
  2. Drysdale/Benoit
  3. LaCombe/One of the young guys, or even Helleson

I think if anything, Verbeek will try and obtain a RD either by trade or FA'cy.  I don't think Helleson is ready to be a top line RD.  Benoit was moved up on his off position.  But I don't think that's ideal.  Benoit will actually give some muscle for Drysdale, so that may help open him up more.  

Comtois I think is gone.  Perreault and Tracey may be trade bait.   

31 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Our defense won't be much better next year unless Verbeek brings a couple guys in. 

I'm not saying we'll do as poorly as this year. But we have nothing but prospects besides Fowler. And, Fowler isn't anything special on D. Not to mention our forwards have a long way to come defensively.

We won't know until we're in Sept. So, I'll wait to see the changes at that point.

This season was a team effort of wretched defense. No forecheck, no neutral zone pressure, not winning puck battles. I can’t imagine any new coach tolerating that 

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Looks like Maddon will be busy with this selection.

NHL scouts poll: Connor Bedard will go No. 1, but is there debate at No. 2?

So now they spend the next month and a half vetting the personality types of the top 5 guys. 

I think Verbeek really does make this decision on his own. He'll take input. But, he's going to get his guy.

Best quote was the guy who asked, if Will Smith gets drafted by a team he doesn't like, does he slap the GM when he gets on stage.

My question is what would SJ give up to swap positions with us? And, should we take it  Also, what about Montreal at 5? Maybe the Ducks like a guy in the 5-10 area a lot. 

1 hour ago, deepdrive said:

So now they spend the next month and a half vetting the personality types of the top 5 guys. 

I think Verbeek really does make this decision on his own. He'll take input. But, he's going to get his guy.

Best quote was the guy who asked, if Will Smith gets drafted by a team he doesn't like, does he slap the GM when he gets on stage.

My question is what would SJ give up to swap positions with us? And, should we take it  Also, what about Montreal at 5? Maybe the Ducks like a guy in the 5-10 area a lot. 

It'll be interesting if Fantilli isn't the Ducks guy, if they would make a trade.  Although when they took McTavish at third overall, they didn't trade out of that position.  McTavish wasn't ranked that high at all.  

https://thehockeynews.com/news/2021-final-draft-rankings

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-draft-prospects-2021-ranking-top-32-players-big-board/1vhht3kwp3ja613iuehpqku817

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-final-edition/

https://theathletic.com/2569641/2021/06/22/wheeler-nhl-drafts-top-100-prospects-for-2021-sees-michigan-players-top-the-ranking/

The way it's looking right now, it's Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith.  With Michkov being a total wild card.  But Fantilli does seem like a Beeker type guy.  Big and fast.  I really don't know.

THE HIGHLIGHT REEL: THE BEST OF WILL SMITH, LEO CARLSSON, AND MATVEI MICHKOV

A blue jackets sight.  After watching the Will Smith hilights.  I am not impressed at all.  He has a good first step.  But he's wild.  Plus he has zero elevation on his shot.  Reminded me of a more clumsy Sam Steel.

leo carlsson is similar to Will Smith.  He at least got the puck up higher, but still about glove high.  Little bit smoother of a skater than Will Smith, and has a bit of explosiveness to him.

Mitchkov looked better.  Some high shots, even from up close.  Quick one timer.  Although I didn't see the power behind the shots.  Someone will get a steel with him if he lasts higher than 4.

20 hours ago, mrwicked said:

It'll be Fantilli. That guy is the 1st overall pick any of the last 5-10 years not named Bedard or McDavid.

He's unreal good. 

He really looks like Verbeek's kind of guy. He has the size, toughness, attitude that Verbeek has been bringing into the org.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Chatter is back.

5 Trades We Want to See Happen at the 2023 NHL Draft

3 Penguins Trade Options to Replace Goaltender Tristan Jarry

I say Gibson and Comtois.  Since it doesn't look like we are re-signing Comtois.  Get that #14 pick overall and a mid level prospect.

He's going to be past his prime when the Ducks become competitive again. It just looks like when Verbeek thinks he has his best deal.

1 hour ago, deepdrive said:

He really looks like Verbeek's kind of guy. He has the size, toughness, attitude that Verbeek has been bringing into the org.

Which kind of makes sense. He was always a second or third liner at center. I watched him a bunch growing up.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Which kind of makes sense. He was always a second or third liner at center. I watched him a bunch growing up.

All I know about the guy is what I've read since the Ducks brought him on. But he's like anybody else. He'll pattern as time goes on. He's already shown that he guards what he says in interviews to the point that you can't believe him. Also the type of players is starting to show - the free agents, the draft, McGinn, Vatrano. Strome seems to be a bit of an outlier. But, it maybe he's the character guy/leader he wanted around the younger guys during the rebuild.

NHL Rumors: Devils, Blackhawks, Ducks, Oilers

According to Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff, not a lot of talk has surrounded the Anaheim Ducks and their search for a new head coach, but the process is underway and the team has interviewed a number of possible candidates. Among them, the Ducks have spoken with: Andrew Brune (Devils), Spencer Carbery (Maple Leafs) & Mike Vellucci (Penguins).

From a previous article.

Spencer Carbery

Like Halpern, the 41-year-old Carbery could be on the Capitals’ list after coaching their AHL affiliate in Hershey, Pa., for three seasons prior to joining Sheldon Keefe’s staff in Toronto for his first NHL assistant job. In his two seasons with the Maple Leafs, Carbery has been credited with taking their talented offensive personnel and fashioning a power play that was the NHL’s best last season and was the second-ranked unit this year.

Vellucci and Brunette weren't on the top 16 coaches list.

Penguins' Assistant Mike Vellucci Up for Ducks Head Coaching Job

COACHING PROFILES: ANDREW BRUNETTE'S SMALL SAMPLE SIZE IS FULL OF WINS

Oh, and there is this.  haha.  I guess 500 would be too much.

Flyers associate coach among the Anaheim Ducks coaching candidates

Chuck Bausman of Philadelphia Hockey Now: The OC Register reported that Philadelphia Flyers associate coach Brad Shaw is a candidate for the Anaheim Ducks head coaching position along with Jay Leach, Kirk Muller, Mike Vellucci and Trent Yawney.

Elliotte Friedman reported that Mike Babcock could also be a candidate.

Jay Leach

Leach, 43, has been on an upward path since transitioning into coaching after a vagabond pro career. The native of Syracuse, N.Y., coached the AHL’s Providence Bruins for four seasons and was in talks with possibly joining Boston’s staff but opted to sign on with expansion Seattle to work under Dave Hakstol. The Kraken are in the second round of the playoffs and Leach has managed a solid defense that’s featured Vince Dunn’s breakout season.

Flyers Coaching Candidate: Kirk Muller