• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels still need outfielders next year and to be honest, Angels relievers are complete flakes. If Adell has turned the corner the Angels can promote relievers from the minors but they still need a right fielder. I think he still can be the guy. 

FIFY

He even made MLBTR morning post by Nick Deeds:  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/04/the-opener-cruz-rays-vs-red-sox-adell.html

3. Adell tearing up the minors:

Former top prospect Jo Adell has long struggled to make the jump from the minor leagues to the majors, as shown by his career wRC+ of just 68 in 161 big league games. After getting an extended run of playing time in 2022, Adell finds himself somewhat buried on the Angels’ depth chart, as the club sports a trio of everyday outfielders in Mike Trout, Taylor Ward, and Hunter Renfroe. That hasn’t stopped Adell from making a case for himself to get another opportunity in the early going this season, however, as he has hit seven home runs over his past six games for the Salt Lake Bees, Anaheim’s Triple-A affiliate. According to the Bees, Adell’s streak of six consecutive games with a home run was a record for the franchise. It’s somewhat difficult to imagine Adell receiving everyday starts in Anaheim this season barring an injury in the outfield, but it’s possible he could work his way into the Angels’ outfield mix later in the season if his hot start continues. In the meantime, Adell will try to keep his homer streak alive for a seventh game on Tuesday in Las Vegas.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t find it difficult to imagine Ward playing everyday at first base with Adell in LF.

Ward keeps getting moved around and has a goal of winning a gold glove, but it’s a solid solution.  It should be a conversation now- if Walsh needs more time.  I’m hoping Drury comes around soon so he could play first but if he doesn’t I don’t think Lamb is going to cut it.  Thaiss could take Lamb’s spot, eventually when Walsh does come back it’s another decision.

If Ward played first against LHP and Thaiss (or Lamb) plays against RHP it would open up LF at bats against LHP.  Add more traditional 4th outfielder duties resting Trout and Renfroe, and give all those at bats to Adell.  Is that enough playing time for Adell for it to make sense?

23 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I don't think it would be very fair to Taylor to keep moving him around positions to accommodate other players. Especially an unproven one.

Dude has put in the work in the outfield.

The team will put the best team on the field.  “Fair” plays into it only when you have equivalent options.

I’m gonna get hit with a Debbie Downer with this one. Before the home run streak started he was walking regularly and I think he went something like 17 at bats before striking out.  Now in 42 PA he has 12 strike outs. So if it was 17 at bats to start the season without a k, then he’s striking out about 50% of the time during his home run barrage. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:24 PM, Docwaukee said:

Adell hr and double tonight.  He whiffed three times tonight.  His first three of the season.  

But...he only swung and missed one time this game.  In 5 games this year he has 5 xbh and has swung and missed 5 times.  total.  of the 76 pitches he's seen.  

So he’s struck out 12 times from Wednesday-Sunday. 

Small sample size....He needs to keep it up.....If he keeps putting up numbers like he has for several more weeks, then he could force the team to do something....not really a spot on the big league roster but if he's good enough, he can force the issue...Jered Weaver was so good at SLC. he forced the club to trade his brother....

The walks are probably more a result of the opposing teams not wanting to pitch to a hitter that is absolutely on fire right now. We don't know if he's changed his approach at the plate until he faces Major League pitching again. Major league pitchers are not going to be scared of him at all, especially when they see the 12 strikeouts in 9 games.

13 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Small sample size....He needs to keep it up.....If he keeps putting up numbers like he has for several more weeks, then he could force the team to do something....not really a spot on the big league roster but if he's good enough, he can force the issue...Jered Weaver was so good at SLC. he forced the club to trade his brother....

To be honest, I really don’t care how he’s doing in AAA. He needs to show some consistency when he’s playing at the major league level 

All of these guys were late bloomers and didn't have success in the majors until after they were 26+ years old. 

Randy Johnson, Phil Niekro, Max Scherzer, Jacob deGrom, Joe Nathan, Hoyt Wilhelm, Nelson Cruz, David Ortiz, Jorge Posada, Edwin Encarnacion, Jeff Kent, Josh Donaldson, Maury Wills, Brian Giles, Jose Bautista, Earl Averill, Ben Zobrist.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

To be honest, I really don’t care how he’s doing in AAA. He needs to show some consistency when he’s playing at the major league level 

True....but some sustained success at AAA would be an encouraging sign.....

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The team will put the best team on the field.  “Fair” plays into it only when you have equivalent options.

I understand that. There's no reason to believe at this point that Taylor Ward at first base and Jo Adell in the outfield would equal the "best" team.

On top of that, keeping Taylor Ward comfortable while he's playing well isn't something you just ignore.

4 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I understand that. There's no reason to believe at this point that Taylor Ward at first base and Jo Adell in the outfield would equal the "best" team.

On top of that, keeping Taylor Ward comfortable while he's playing well isn't something you just ignore.

Yep. No need to mess with a guy that is playing well. 

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Nobody said that’s the case “at this point.”

But as of right now, I don’t see first base as a settled position is all I am saying.  If Adell goes off and the Angels at some point view Adell as ready to be in the mlb lineup, Ward at first base would be an obvious option.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

So he’s struck out 12 times from Wednesday-Sunday. 

I was going to throw a bit of cold water on this streak as well.  But not too much.  He's swinging and missing more than he was before but not an egregious amount more.  And he's getting into a lot of deep counts.  Fouling off a fair number of pitches.  But he's been swinging earlier than he was over the first few games.  He's still getting his walks too.  Plus he's pulling his hrs or hitting them to dead center.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but the pull thing is important because of his new swing vs. his old swing.  He used to get away with a lot of hard hit balls to the opposite field where he'd muscle them out because of his strength and bat speed but he was never really 'on' those pitches.   It's obviously not a problem when you can do that, but you can't live off of it.  Major league pitchers will eat him up with that approach, and the did.

Maybe in generic terms, I would describe what he's doing now as having more 'professional' at bats.   Where he's passing on pitches he can't hit hard regardless of whether they're a ball or a strike.  He's fouling off some tough pitches and staying alive.  He's pulling breaking balls and off speed for hrs.  He's hitting fastballs hard to LCF and CF.  

So it mostly still good stuff.  I want to see what happens when he struggling.  That will be the key.  Will he still take a bunch of pitches?  Or will go back to flailing with a ton of swing and miss in the zone.  

And all of this is just rehearsal anyway.  

Someone suggested getting him a 1bman's glove and while it's theoretically a reasonable idea, I think he'd be just horrible at 1b.  His hands are absolutely terrible defensively.  He'd make a great defensive back and a terrible wide receiver.