• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

Adell could make for a decent gamble at DH if Ohtani leaves. From what I’ve seen of him defensively, that’s clearly the best spot for him. I like Adell and hope he works it out, but my confidence that he figures it out with the bat is significantly higher than him figuring it out in the field. He has looked incredibly awful out there.

12 minutes ago, halodground said:

Adell could make for a decent gamble at DH if Ohtani leaves. From what I’ve seen of him defensively, that’s clearly the best spot for him. I like Adell and hope he works it out, but my confidence that he figures it out with the bat is significantly higher than him figuring it out in the field. He has looked incredibly awful out there.

He looked worse than Trumbo at 3b

On 4/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, WicketMaiden said:

In the field he has made one error in 17 innings in RF; no errors in 9 innings in CF; and no errors in 39 innings in LF.

58 minutes ago, Tank said:

it's amazing how many people don't want to look at adell's defense. it's fantastic to see what he's doing offensively, but i care a whole lot more about how he's fielding his position in SLC. I thought that was his most glaring weakness in the previous times he was called up.

anyone have any updates on his defensive play?

👍

When I asked a Salt Lake Bees guy who has seen Jo Adell for the past 3 years there what the difference was between this season and past campaigns, he said this:

"Better plate discipline and, seemingly, a more compact swing. Defensively, he seems to be reading the ball off of the bat better and his throws have been stronger and more accurate. The one error he’s been charged with should not have been an error."

1 hour ago, Tank said:

fair, but i figured that since there are a few guys here who watch the minors pretty closely that there might be some way for them to explain how he looks in the field. does he have any errors? is he getting a good jump on the ball? is he taking a good path to the ball? is he catching the ball instead of letting it bounce off his dome or kicking it around the outfield?

Check this out if you want to evaluate for yourself, but from what I've seen, his defense hasn't really been noticeable (which is good).

His routes are still sketchy IMO, but it looks like he's moving around in the outfield better.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Check this out if you want to evaluate for yourself, but from what I've seen, his defense hasn't really been noticeable (which is good).

His routes are still sketchy IMO, but it looks like he's moving around in the outfield better.

I’m no scout, but I see a guy who lacks confidence and is uncomfortable out there. Routes are awful. Reminds me of a smaller Adam Dunn. Very small sample but he still looks most comfortable in CF.

1 hour ago, halodground said:

I’m no scout, but I see a guy who lacks confidence and is uncomfortable out there. Routes are awful. Reminds me of a smaller Adam Dunn. Very small sample but he still looks most comfortable in CF.

no am I.  but I disagree.  He looks capable for sure.  He's never going to be an excellent defender and part of the frustration is that his speed and arm are plus tools but there is a bit of discordance relative to his performance.  He's got a lot more confidence going back.  He does still seem a bit unsure of himself coming in on balls.  Especially those on the ground.  But the difference is noticeable from where he was.  

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

He looks far more comfortable in LF than RF to me. 

32 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I definitely appreciate what Jo has done in terms of his effort.   He could have sulked in AAA but the dude is having really good at bats and worked so hard on his defense over the winter.  

Absolutely agree with this. He’s seems to be willing to put his ego aside and work on things. I’m pulling for him. Still think his defense looks awful though. Hopefully he hits enough that no one cares.

57 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I definitely appreciate what Jo has done in terms of his effort.   He could have sulked in AAA but the dude is having really good at bats and worked so hard on his defense over the winter.  

it certainly speaks volumes about his character. 

13 hours ago, Ender said:

Perhaps Adell and Kelenic have figured things out at the same time? Angels should prolly give Adell another chance somewhere on the field.

Who are you going to sit? Trout? Ohtani? Renfroe? Ward? Unless, they move Ward to 1st base, there's no spot for him right now. I think Ward would be a great option at 1st in 2024, but not in mid-season. He'll have to wait until one of those 4 ends up on the IL. If none of them end up on the IL, then it's going to be a really fun year at least offensively.