• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Carpino bans Sam Blum from AM830 "Beat Reporter Roundtable" for being too negative, other Angels journalists say they won't be going back on

mmc

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Sam Blum is a G.

why though. I’ve only seen curated tweets from him. Why is he so hated? And why do some like him so much?

my impression is he likes to stir controversy/ create click baiting titles and tweets—but that’s “journalism” these days.

Edited by failos

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Speaking of Round Table Media sessions, we had some of the best in the past with @Jeff Fletcher, Alden Gonzalez, Mike DiGiovanna, Jose Mota, Victor Rojas, Terry Smith and RIP Big Nasty Joe McDonell. 

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.37.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.37.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.38.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.38.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.39.01 PM.png

Smoking Joe, miss that dude. 

30 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To those of you who thanked me or applauded me, I am really uncomfortable with all of this. I am not interested in taking a victory lap for simply doing something that was not that difficult. 

Once they set the precedent that they only want team-friendly reporters on their show, and once Sam told the world they did it, I certainly couldn’t keep going on the show without being accused (wrongly, I might add) of being some sort of team mouthpiece. 

I also feel bad for Terry Smith, who is just trying to do his job and put on a little show once a week to mix it up from the normal pregame stuff. 

This is not the first time this has happened. A beat writer for another team texted me today and said the same thing happened to him but he didn’t publicly announce it because he didn’t want to be the story.

I was told last year that a third party who didn’t like something I had written prevented me from going on a particular podcast to talk about my Ohtani book. Whatever. It happens. I do what I have to do and not everyone is going to like it, but I never want to make myself the story. 

But ultimately it’s the Angels who started all this with an obviously terrible decision, so here we are. 

cheers to integrity, and i'll leave it at that.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I also feel bad for Terry Smith, who is just trying to do his job and put on a little show once a week to mix it up from the normal pregame stuff. 

This is a solid point.

Terry hasn't had a whole lot to work with the past several years. He's in a position where he has to stay positive, with a team that's given him very little to work with (aside from Trout and Ohtani).

8 hours ago, Lou said:

Surprisingly, guess who did want to be the story?

Exactly.  And Fletcher openly shares that these kinds of decisions happen plenty other places.

Blum made it a story, and made it about himself (shocker).

I don’t think guys like Blum are “journalists.” They are self-promoting hacks.

It really should not be news that he isn’t invited to everything he wants to participate in.

Once the “story” is out, it forces others (like Fletcher) to then make decisions on what is out there and that sucks much more than the Angels being selective in their invitations.

Blum is a jerk.

9 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Lol @ you ghouls taking away from Fletcher's post a vindication of your hate boner for Sam Blum.

Well Jeff basically called him out without calling him out for drawing attention to himself and this situation, which is exactly what I don’t like about the guy.  He basically confirmed what a lot of us feel about the guy.  He wants to be part of the story. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.  

Whether the Angels mismanaged this situation is one isolated thing to discuss.  And people can have different opinions on that.

But separately, even if you think the Angels are absolute buffoons, it can ALSO be true that Sam Blum is jerk on how he put the story out there, made it about himself, and then forced others to have to make decisions based on what he did.

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To those of you who thanked me or applauded me, I am really uncomfortable with all of this. I am not interested in taking a victory lap for simply doing something that was not that difficult. 

Once they set the precedent that they only want team-friendly reporters on their show, and once Sam told the world they did it, I certainly couldn’t keep going on the show without being accused (wrongly, I might add) of being some sort of team mouthpiece. 

This is not the first time this has happened. A beat writer for another team texted me today and said the same thing happened to him but he didn’t publicly announce it because he didn’t want to be the story.

I was told last year that a third party who didn’t like something I had written prevented me from going on a particular podcast to talk about my Ohtani book. Whatever. It happens. I do what I have to do and not everyone is going to like it, but I never want to make myself the story. 

But ultimately it’s the Angels who started all this with an obviously terrible decision, so here we are. 

You’re just doing your job by reporting the news. A lot of us are sick of clickbait and incendiary articles from guys like Blum and the LAT (heck, this is an industry wide thing), hence why you are respected here and across the league (from what I can tell).