• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: World Baseball Classic Championship - Japan vs USA

Chuck

Just two misc. observations about the game last night.

First.  Ohtani is at bat, and you decide to interview the US manager.  That was a major fail by Fox.

Second.  The commercials between team changes was just way way too long.  If they want to speed up the game, cut the team change length down.  

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

First.  Ohtani is at bat, and you decide to interview the US manager.  That was a major fail by Fox.

Second.  The commercials between team changes was just way way too long.  If they want to speed up the game, cut the team change length down.  

They already cut it by 25 seconds for MLB games a few years back. I think it’s 2 minutes now, which is reasonable since pitchers get 8 warm up pitches.  I don’t think WBC had the same commercial/inning break time. 

50 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If that was true then the league is very good in the clutch and it shouldn’t be called clutch. Here’s Trout’s career clutch stats: 

AC00BF83-9ABD-4091-A509-C23C6E771491.jpeg

His OPS late and close is .877 which compared to virtually everyone else is amazing. Compared to Trout who has a career OPS of 1000 it isn’t great. High leverage his OPS .989 and SLG is .562. So unless I’m reading this wrong, which is possible, he’s not near the bottom of the league every year.  

I think you're just feeding a troll here

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

If that was true then the league is very good in the clutch and it shouldn’t be called clutch. Here’s Trout’s career clutch stats: 

AC00BF83-9ABD-4091-A509-C23C6E771491.jpeg

His OPS late and close is .877 which compared to virtually everyone else is amazing. Compared to Trout who has a career OPS of 1000 it isn’t great. High leverage his OPS .989 and SLG is .562. So unless I’m reading this wrong, which is possible, he’s not near the bottom of the league every year.  

Shhhh....but the narrative...

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Hah!  With the pitch clock, it seems like we're always watching commercials during Spring Training.

21 minutes ago, oldguy said:

image.thumb.png.a33d5624bbf5a66342449933db8ab3ce.png

You have no clue what that actually measures do you?

Clutch = (WPA / pLI) – WPA/LI

In the words of David Appelman, this calculation measures, “…how much better or worse a player does in high leverage situations than he would have done in a context neutral environment.” It also compares a player against himself, so a player who hits .300 in high leverage situations when he’s an overall .300 hitter is not considered clutch.

Basically, Mike Trout isn't clutch when compared to Mike Trout overall.  But only a moron would think a guy with an OPS near 1.000 in high leverage situations isn't clutch because he's at 1.000 overall and the rest of the league doesn't come close to that.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

You have no clue what that actually measures do you?

Clutch = (WPA / pLI) – WPA/LI

In the words of David Appelman, this calculation measures, “…how much better or worse a player does in high leverage situations than he would have done in a context neutral environment.” It also compares a player against himself, so a player who hits .300 in high leverage situations when he’s an overall .300 hitter is not considered clutch.

Basically, Mike Trout isn't clutch when compared to Mike Trout overall.  But only a moron would think a guy with an OPS near 1.000 in high leverage situations isn't clutch because he's at 1.000 overall and the rest of the league doesn't come close to that.

Well, I know what it measures, but the stats just somewhat validate my own observations.  It's interesting to pick a player you think is clutch (Scott Spezio is one) and see what the numbers show.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chris Russo with a typical L. 

Eh, I don't watch that show because they force positions here to create a conversation. Its a disingenuous show to begin with and Russo is a hack especially with west coast teams. WIth that said, the double play took a lot of the momentum out of the at bat in reality even if it was still cool to see. 

1 hour ago, oldguy said:

Well, I know what it measures, but the stats just somewhat validate my own observations.  It's interesting to pick a player you think is clutch (Scott Spezio is one) and see what the numbers show.

The numbers show that for his career Scott Spezio was a -2.96 WPA player.  But using FG Clutch he grades out higher than Reggie Jackson, Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr, David Ortiz, and Barry Bonds (126.81 WPA, -9.13 CLUTCH).

Do you really believe the guy that's led MLB in WPA since entering the league isn't clutch?   Last year's leader in WPA (Aaron Judge 7.0+) posted a clutch figure of -1.43.  Gary Disarcina had a career "high leverage" OPS of .576 but his FG Clutch figure was -2.30.  Disar's career WPA is -20.02.  Trout's is 50+.  Using FG's "Clutch" as a barometer, guessing CLUTCH validates the opinion of anyone who believes he was the better "clutch" hitter.

I won't go so far as to say it's a shitty stat, but it's probably pretty poorly named.