• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Max Stassi

Torridd

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Catchers tend to have erratic careers - I think it has to do with the wear and tear on the body. I mean, squatting that much hurts (I'd imagine).

Look at Johnny Bench's career. He's widely considered the greatest catcher of all time, and he would alternate MVP caliber hitting seasons with merely decent ones. Other catchers have sharp drop-offs - like Jason Kendall or Joe Mauer, for that matter.

I'd imagine Stassi bounces back some and will be at least solid, but who knows.

Similar to all hitters once you lose your base you're pretty much burnt toast!  AP#5 showed this with all of his foot issues (sure he could run into 25-30 pitches a season, then again how many times did he get thrown out from shallow left field?). Catchers are the same except they for the most part burn out in 8-10-12 seasons as they age their lower half starts to breakdown. The ones who make adjustments with their lower half stance and hips and were good hitters due to bat speed can extended beyond that at another position if the arm is still healthy. 

45 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

Actually, Johnny Bench was pretty consistent.

He was really up and down for at least a few years - look at his fluctuation in batting numbers from 1969-76. He was more consistent after, but for those eight years--which included his very best seasons (1970, 72, 74)--he alternated great and merely good years.

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He was really up and down for at least a few years - look at his fluctuation in batting numbers from 1969-76. He was more consistent after, but for those eight years--which included his very best seasons (1970, 72, 74)--he alternated great and merely good years.

After the ‘72 season Bench had a lesion removed from his lung. This was early’70s technology which meant they had to shred a lot of muscle to get at the lung. He still started 124 games behind the plate in ‘73 and even got some starts in RF but he was pretty clearly not 100%