• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Diamond Sports Group (owner of Bally RSNs) files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, MLB to produce Padres games after missed payment

eaterfan

5 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I think live sports is the one thing propping up cable. It's the only reason I have Spectrum.

This is exactly it. We're all stuck for thr near term. (Though I keep swearing I'm going to finally quit it.... I don't watch near enough games to justify paying for cable all year).

I still wonder how long until the bubble bursts, though. The younger gen already knows how to get around the monopoly. Cable is on its death bed. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out going forward... and how it effects team payrolls...

On 1/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, halonatic13 said:

Curious if Arte saw this and saw $$$ signs knowing he can start his own network.

I saw an article once saying that MLB is not allowing teams to start their own networks - of course, after the Yankees established YES Network.

I'm hoping that this will bring the end of blackouts and territorial claims for MLB Extra Innings. I'm sitting in a six-team blackout area. There are times when I can't watch either game on MLB Network.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

For you, MLB.tv is the way to go if you want to watch Angels game.  You can watch all the games for $140 a year I think.  It's really the way to go if you are an out of market Angels fan.  

For in area Angels fans, blackouts suck donkey dick.  So the only option is an expensive plan, or a vpn and pirates.

Also to add.  If you have Tmobile, they give you a year of MLB.tv for the last few years as a benefit.  Usually just before the season starts.

Absolutely I use MLB.tv. The last few seasons I have been getting a free subscription each year from T-Mobile so I can watch all the Angels games except those involving the Mariners.

I was just hoping to illustrate the cost of RSNs to individual viewers.

22 hours ago, James said:

So losing revenue on your business has no bearing on contracts? Not sure I fully agree with that thought but you sure write you are fact. 

You are assuming they'll lose revenue. They won't. Streaming alone won't provide the revenue, but they'll still get a cable deal. Sinclair just overpurchased the asset, so they have to go through reorganization. For the record, Sinclair is a very profitable company...

And of course it has bearings on contracts, but this is not like oh god they can't afford Michael Wacha. The amount of money these teams generate on beer sales alone is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You are assuming they'll lose revenue. They won't. Streaming alone won't provide the revenue, but they'll still get a cable deal. Sinclair just overpurchased the asset, so they have to go through reorganization. For the record, Sinclair is a very profitable company...

And of course it has bearings on contracts, but this is not like oh god they can't afford Michael Wacha. The amount of money these teams generate on beer sales alone is ridiculous. 

They will lose revenue. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

They will lose revenue. 

Doubtful. 

What is the max everyone would pay for full streaming access per month? I'd say 25.

Bally Sports West is one of the profitable ones, the ones in the smaller markets are the ones in trouble.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Doubtful. 

What is the max everyone would pay for full streaming access per month? I'd say 25.

Bally Sports West is one of the profitable ones, the ones in the smaller markets are the ones in trouble.

No offense, but what is your experience that makes you knowledgeable about this subject?

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

i think this would open the door to ads on uniforms. they've put ads on every square inch of space inside each stadium, and if you recall during the covid season, even the tarps had ads on them. 

the nhl, which now has ads on helmets, went so far during the covid season as to put ads on the glass just above the boards since there were no fans in the seats. even the nba has been putting ads on uniforms for the past couple of seasons.

we'll hate it, but it's coming. it's tough for rich people to give up their profit margins.

39 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Doubtful. 

Cardinals TV ratings rank No. 1 in MLB for second straight season 

Viewership of Cardinals telecasts on Bally Sports Midwest reached its highest level since 2016, according to Nielsen Media Research data, and Cardinals local television ratings ranked No. 1 in Major League Baseball for the second straight year.

Milwaukee Brewers get ‘significant’ fee increase with new RSN deal

Milwaukee is the smallest media market in MLB, but the Brewers ranked seventh in the league last year in local ratings with an average Nielsen household rating of 4.3.

MLB Rules Prime Time, Even With Regional Sports Network Viewership Flat Year-Over-Year

Eleven of the 29 rank #1 in their designated market area (Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, Astros, Cardinals, Giants, Mariners, Guardians, Padres, Brewers, Royals), and five rank #2 (Braves, Tigers, Twins, Rays, Reds, and three rank #3 (Mets, Red Sox, Orioles).

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

No offense, but what is your experience that makes you knowledgeable about this subject?

My brain, years of experience in media, media studies Bachelor degree, years of Angels fandom, etc. 

No one questions you on any of your takes...be a better human Taylor.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Doubtful. 

Some of us would pay significantly more while others would refuse to pay anything. We have people on here that prefer McDonalds to other places because of coupons. I’m assuming our most vocal about Arte “being cheap” would pay nothing to watch the games. Oh and I firmly believe, at least short term, they lose a ton of revenue. A subscription or monthly fee to watch the games would pale in comparison to every person in the area with cable or satellite paying a few bucks a month. 

55 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Milwaukee is one of the ones mentioned as being in trouble. The state of Wisconsin has 6M people give or take, but their market is limited by the presence of the Twins, and Chicago teams. Milwaukee's population is 600k, metro area is about 1.5 M so they are one of the smaller markets in MLB.

St. Louis on the other hand has the Royals and Cubs a few hours away, but they are the de facto team for a large part of the South. From Louisiana to Kentucky. So...they are always among the top TV ratings. They are a large market team. Nashville absolutely must be one of the two markets to expand to when they go to 32 teams.

Just now, Stradling said:

Some of us would pay significantly more while others would refuse to pay anything. We have people on here that prefer McDonalds to other places because of coupons. I’m assuming our most vocal about Arte “being cheap” would pay nothing to watch the games. Oh and I firmly believe, at least short term, they lose a ton of revenue. A subscription or monthly fee to watch the games would pale in comparison to every person in the area with cable or satellite paying a few bucks a month. 

I don't think the rights fee is going away anytime soon. Nor will Bally Sports West. 

Some of the other RSN's are gonna go away.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I said this same thing earlier, Mason & Ireland had an expert on, and said something like 8M cable subscriptions at $5 bucks a month times 12 = $500M. Plus ad revenue. Streaming wouldn't make 1/4 of that. 

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Do you think this news may have had an impact on Arte’s decision not to sell?

If the TV deal is in jeopardy, that’s a major revenue source that could be eliminated and thus lower the franchise value.

No idea. Hopefully Arte will answer some questions in spring training this year. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

My brain, years of experience in media, media studies Bachelor degree, years of Angels fandom, etc. 

No one questions you on any of your takes...be a better human Taylor.

Bolded statement is definitely not true.

But I was just curious, because we have a couple folks who are in the industry saying one thing, and you saying another. So I was curious about your background.