• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Diamond Sports Group (owner of Bally RSNs) files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, MLB to produce Padres games after missed payment

eaterfan

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've never seen that many people in the park.   

Yeah, most of the time it looks like Covid protocols are in place and it is in a fan lock out. This is one ballclub that either needs to be contracted or moved to another location not named Florida. I think the Inland 66ers draw more fans per game. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

i think this would open the door to ads on uniforms. they've put ads on every square inch of space inside each stadium, and if you recall during the covid season, even the tarps had ads on them. 

the nhl, which now has ads on helmets, went so far during the covid season as to put ads on the glass just above the boards since there were no fans in the seats. even the nba has been putting ads on uniforms for the past couple of seasons.

we'll hate it, but it's coming. it's tough for rich people to give up their profit margins.

Both the NHL and the MLB have already started ad deals for uniforms.  NHL teams started wearing them this season, and the Padres will start this year

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Both the NHL and the MLB have already started ad deals for uniforms.  NHL teams started wearing them this season, and the Padres will start this year

And the Angels will wear one in 2023 as well.

Edited by Trendon

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

How much time do they have to secure a sponsor for it to be done in time for this season's kit?  Can't imagine it's much longer

I don’t know what the deadline is, but it’s already done.

They’re gonna reveal the company who’ll be on the patch on 2/4 at an event for season ticket holders/sponsors.

Perhaps the greatest challenge of going to a direct-to-consumer model is you have to compel consumers to actually subscribe - and keep them once they do. But this great unbundling of teams from local RSNs could be good for the consumer since it figures to force teams to put a better product on the field, court, and ice.

Taken from the article Fletcher linked.  The deterioration of cable networks and subsequently RSN’s could be good for sports in that it forces Owners to put a good product on the field.  Having Ohtani would most definitely keep a core audience for some time.  Also, winning would do that as well.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes. His people are supposedly encouraging him to do it. They claim that he’s coming around to the idea. 

He was also coming around to the idea of selling the team, before he did a complete 180.

But I certainly hope he does speak with you guys.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, Taylor said:

Bolded statement is definitely not true.

But I was just curious, because we have a couple folks who are in the industry saying one thing, and you saying another. So I was curious about your background.

Sorry for being a jerk I was reading into your comment with an inflection you didn’t intend obviously.

I think the end of the RSN model is a blessing actually but the revenue will be made up. Absolutely. I’d like to watch games on my Phone or computer when not at home or when traveling. Right now that’s a pain in the ass. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Sorry for being a jerk I was reading into your comment with an inflection you didn’t intend obviously.

I think the end of the RSN model is a blessing actually but the revenue will be made up. Absolutely. I’d like to watch games on my Phone or computer when not at home or when traveling. Right now that’s a pain in the ass. 

No worries. I could have worded it much better.

Sorry Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

24 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You keep saying this, but thus far, it is absolutely not true in any other entertainment sector that has transitioned from more windows to fewer windows (e.g., movies going from theatrical revenue + PVOD + VOD + Blu-Ray/DVD/Electronic Sell-Through + Cable + Streaming, to shorter windows [or altogether eliminating several of the windows]), from physical to digital distribution (e.g., the music industry), etc.  I've yet to see any evidence or even projections that (realistically...) show that the end of RSNs will lead to higher overall revenue from the rights to the games.

11 hours ago, Lhalo said:

If the regionals dissolve can I still watch bass fishing on over 50 channels at once? It seems like a sustainable business model so I’ll assume the answer is yes. 

I'd watch those.  Where do I find them?

On 1/27/2023 at 2:36 PM, Trendon said:

I don’t know what the deadline is, but it’s already done.

They’re gonna reveal the company who’ll be on the patch on 2/4 at an event for season ticket holders/sponsors.

No problem here at all. I wonder what type of revenue the Angels get. The Lakers are getting $100 M over 5 years from Bibigo. It's probably not close to that. Maybe a Japanese company comes in and also signs Ohtani to a lucrative side deal.

20 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

No problem here at all. I wonder what type of revenue the Angels get. The Lakers are getting $100 M over 5 years from Bibigo. It's probably not close to that. Maybe a Japanese company comes in and also signs Ohtani to a lucrative side deal.

The Red Sox are getting $17M per year.

Since the deal is probably long-term, I doubt it’s a Japanese company.

I heard some people say New Balance, but I don’t know if that’s true or not.

I’d guess somewhere between $12-$15 million per year.

14 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

You keep saying this, but thus far, it is absolutely not true in any other entertainment sector that has transitioned from more windows to fewer windows (e.g., movies going from theatrical revenue + PVOD + VOD + Blu-Ray/DVD/Electronic Sell-Through + Cable + Streaming, to shorter windows [or altogether eliminating several of the windows]), from physical to digital distribution (e.g., the music industry), etc.  I've yet to see any evidence or even projections that (realistically...) show that the end of RSNs will lead to higher overall revenue from the rights to the games.

Once again, Bally Sports West is not one of the RSN's in major trouble. This Bankruptcy isn't about these networks model not being profitable, it's that Sinclair (whom honestly shouldn't have been able to purchase what they Did, how they did) took on far too much debt to acquire them. They financed the purchase almost entirely, in a subsidiary, and now they are regretting having that debt as rights fees escalate.

Cable companies know live sports is the the major reason for people to not cut the cord.

The model might change, but I do not foresee the Angels having issues with their RSN. It will most likely be sold to another entity with MLB's blessing, and then they can explore in market and out of market streaming.

I could also see the leagues themselves buying back the channels, honestly, with the MLB getting the majority of the channel (purely because they have the most games broadcast), unless the NBA or NHL team is an immensely popular one.

Edited by Hubs