• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which Angel player should have been better?

I'm not talking about busted prospects necessarily, I'm talking about major leaguers that never really developed. I know of a couple, but I thought you guys might be able to help me identify more.

To me, the one guy I thought really should've been better was Casey Kotchman. Big, athletic first baseman, drafted in the first round, son of Tom Kotchman, longtime Angels coach and scout. Just look at what he did in the minors.

.390 OBP as a 19 year old in A Ball, with more walks than strikeouts. If any of us saw a first rounder doing that today, we'd collectively lose our shit, and the hype machine would lose control. 

As a 21 year old, Kotch hit .368 in AA and .372 in AAA. No, that wasn't his OBP. That was the dude's batting average. That's insane! Again, a big strong athletic first round pick just demolishing every level of the minor leagues. 

Casey Kotchman should have developed into one of the best 1B in baseball. He had an ok career, logging a few seasons as a starter for the Angels, Braves and Rays, but he just never came anywhere close to where many thought he would end up. 

Anyone else you guys can think of?

Edited by Second Base

• Second Base changed the title to Which Angel player should have been better?
2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'm not talking about busted prospects necessarily, I'm talking about major leaguers that never really developed. I know of a couple, but I thought you guys might be able to help me identify more.

To me, the one guy I thought really should've been better was Casey Kotchman. Big, athletic first baseman, drafted in the first round, son of Tom Kotchman, longtime Angels coach and scout. Just look at what he did in the minors.

.390 OBP as a 19 year old in A Ball, with more walks than strikeouts. If any of us saw a first rounder doing that today, we'd collectively lose our shit, and the hype machine would lose control. 

As a 21 year old, Kotch hit .368 in AA and .372 in AAA. No, that wasn't his OBP. That was the dude's batting average. That's insane! Again, a big strong athletic first round pick just demolishing every level of the minor leagues. 

Casey Kotchman should have developed into one of the best 1B in baseball. He had an ok career, logging a few seasons as a starter for the Angels, Braves and Rays, but he just never came anywhere close to where many thought he would end up. 

Anyone else you guys can think of?

Casey was not the same player after that concussion.

This guy was born 30 years too late.  I think he would have had a better career if had come up to the majors in 1980 instead of 2010.  Back when slap hitting and stolen bases were still cool.  Still, he had a decent 10 years in the bigs.  But I feel like he could have been a borderline star in the 1980s.

51dk8J5aZSL._SY780_.jpg

There are a few, but it could also just be expectation and not on the player...but the question is subjective.

Ervin Santana. Great middling career with two all-star games, a no-hitter, and probably what makes this mention was that duel versus Pedro Martinez where everyone became super high on the kid. He was inconsistent when I thought he would be an ace.

McPherson was one I thought would be Troy Glaus 2.0 and hold down 3rd for a long time.

When I was a kid I'd go to a few Lake Elsinore Storm games and the two hot prospect names were Garrett Anderson and Todd Greene. GA obviously is a legend here, but Greene didn't amount to shit. He was a complete miss.

1 hour ago, TempeAngel said:

What did happen to Kotchman? Was it injury? Inability to hit MLB breaking balls?

You're right, I thought he was going to be our 1B for a decade.

Concussion, and just the general lack of power from a power position. We figured it would develop and he'd be a .300/.400 hitter with 40 DB and 20 HR. Kind of like Freddie Freeman. But the power never came and that concussion really affected him. 

44 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

This guy was born 30 years too late.  I think he would have had a better career if had come up to the majors in 1980 instead of 2010.  Back when slap hitting and stolen bases were still cool.  Still, he had a decent 10 years in the bigs.  But I feel like he could have been a borderline star in the 1980s.

51dk8J5aZSL._SY780_.jpg

Bourjos would've been a very solid player from the time baseball started to probably the year 2000. That was a very good point on your part. 

53 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Kevin Jepsen had a good long career, but I thought he should have become 30-40 save type of near-elite closer.  Never really was that, career high in saves was 15 for Tampa Bay + Minnesota in 2015.

s-l500.jpg

He took a long time to develop any consistency, and he came up in an era where the Angels had a series of relievers that were excellent. So the save opportunities never came. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Concussion, and just the general lack of power from a power position. We figured it would develop and he'd be a .300/.400 hitter with 40 DB and 20 HR. Kind of like Freddie Freeman. But the power never came and that concussion really affected him. 

Yeah, people or "baseball experts" were saying he was going to be the next Paul Molitor. High praise for a prospect.

14 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Todd Greene for sure 

Jason Dickson 

George Arias 

Ramon Ortiz 

Howie Kendrick

Matt Wise 

Ben Molina 

Rob Quinlan 

The only ones I really disagree with are Kendrick and Quinlan. Howie may not have won a batting title, but he came close, has a 15 year career, won a world series, made the all star team, gathered some down ballot MVP votes. Not a bad career at all. 

Quinlan, with that guy's swing he had no business playing professional baseball. Duck footed too. The fact that he played at all is a major victory. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

There are a few, but it could also just be expectation and not on the player...but the question is subjective.

Ervin Santana. Great middling career with two all-star games, a no-hitter, and probably what makes this mention was that duel versus Pedro Martinez where everyone became super high on the kid. He was inconsistent when I thought he would be an ace.

McPherson was one I thought would be Troy Glaus 2.0 and hold down 3rd for a long time.

When I was a kid I'd go to a few Lake Elsinore Storm games and the two hot prospect names were Garrett Anderson and Todd Greene. GA obviously is a legend here, but Greene didn't amount to shit. He was a complete miss.

I might be mistaken, but I thought it was Ramon Ortiz who out-dueled Pedro in the early 2000s.

Speaking of which, Ortiz qualifies for the OP’s question, as he went 44-33 in 2001-2003, and then fell off the map.

Edited by Angel Oracle