• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Justin Garza to one year split contract, DFA Kenny Rosenberg (outrighted to AAA)

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Justin Garza to one year split contract, DFA Kenny Rosenberg
10 minutes ago, Taylor said:

What is a split contract?

Off top of head, I think different terms whether he’s on minors or majors, usually salary. So instead of say making the MLB minimum, he might get paid more if he’s on the big league team, but still be paid minor league money in SLC.

Edited by totdprods

While Rosenberg wasn't exactly particularly high on the totem poll, he's the second SP we have removed from the roster this offseason.

Looking at the depth chart, in terms of the 6th SP, the only ones we currently have as options are Silseth, CRod, Canning, Davis.  Considering both CRod and Canning are significant health question marks, I'd like to think we'll probably see some kind of SP addition before the end of the offseason.

Also, given the above depth, I would not be surprised if we see Ky Bush make his MLB debut sometime this year.

35 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While Rosenberg wasn't exactly particularly high on the totem poll, he's the second SP we have removed from the roster this offseason.

Looking at the depth chart, in terms of the 6th SP, the only ones we currently have as options are Silseth, CRod, Canning, Davis.  Considering both CRod and Canning are significant health question marks, I'd like to think we'll probably see some kind of SP addition before the end of the offseason.

Also, given the above depth, I would not be surprised if we see Ky Bush make his MLB debut sometime this year.

There's also Davidson.

Despite his awful end-of-season run with the Angels, there are some things to like about him.

He's put up good minor-league numbers, leading to good statistical projections for him.

If he can find a workable changeup and hit the zone more accurately, he'd be a perfectly cromulent back-end starter.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Off top of head, I think different terms whether he’s on minors or majors, usually salary. So instead of say making the MLB minimum, he might get paid more if he’s on the big league team, but still be paid minor league money in SLC.

Makes sense.

But I would like the Angels to sign a full contract with a full-time MLB player.

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

There's also Davidson.

Despite his awful end-of-season run with the Angels, there are some things to like about him.

He's put up good minor-league numbers, leading to good statistical projections for him.

If he can find a workable changeup and hit the zone more accurately, he'd be a perfectly cromulent back-end starter.

cromulent = nice pull...

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Justin Garza to one year split contract, DFA Kenny Rosenberg (outrighted to AAA)
42 minutes ago, mmc said:

Well, if anything, this should at least help provide a bit more depth.  

Right now, we have the following various options to start games at AAA:  Silseth, Canning (?), CRod (?), Bush (likely promotion), Crow, Diaz, Rosenberg, Kerry.  Some of these are simply just depth options, but good to have nevertheless.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Well, if anything, this should at least help provide a bit more depth.  

Right now, we have the following various options to start games at AAA:  Silseth, Canning (?), CRod (?), Bush (likely promotion), Crow, Diaz, Rosenberg, Kerry.  Some of these are simply just depth options, but good to have nevertheless.

Daniel, too

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Admittedly, Anderson, Renfroe, Urshela, and Estevez were all good acquisitions, with minimal players lost.

But, still need a real 4th OFer, a set up man, and possibly more depth at SS and in rotation.

I agree with you on the above, but I don't think we really need a setup man per se.  I think between Estevez, Herget, Loup, and Tepera, we can probably effectively navigate the late innings for the most part.  I think there are some intriguing arms still available, but if they have a fairly limited budget, I'd rather see a rotation upgrade.

Keep an eye on Joyce as well.  While he was only drafted last year, various reports indicated he could potentially be called up to the majors the same year he was drafted, because he was viewed as a "ready now" bullpen arm.

He pitched rather well in AA in his limited appearances.  I think we may very well see him sometime in the first month or two of the season, and he could very well be the "set up" arm we are looking for.

If CRod is ever healthy, he too could be a very good bullpen arm.  A bullpen of Estevez, Herget, Joyce, CRod, Quijada, Loup, Tepera, Barria .. that could be a very good one, with multiple late inning options.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I agree with you on the above, but I don't think we really need a setup man per se.  I think between Estevez, Herget, Loup, and Tepera, we can probably effectively navigate the late innings for the most part.  I think there are some intriguing arms still available, but if they have a fairly limited budget, I'd rather see a rotation upgrade.

Keep an eye on Joyce as well.  While he was only drafted last year, various reports indicated he could potentially be called up to the majors the same year he was drafted, because he was viewed as a "ready now" bullpen arm.

He pitched rather well in AA in his limited appearances.  I think we may very well see him sometime in the first month or two of the season, and he could very well be the "set up" arm we are looking for.

If CRod is ever healthy, he too could be a very good bullpen arm.  A bullpen of Estevez, Herget, Joyce, CRod, Quijada, Loup, Tepera, Barria .. that could be a very good one, with multiple late inning options.

the longer it drags on i want Alex Reyes on a low cost deal. A guy when healthy that can close.