• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Marcus Thames as hitting coach, Phil Plantier as assistant hitting coach, and Bill Hezel as assistant pitching coach (rest of 2022 staff retained)

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels hire Marcus Thames as hitting coach, Phil Plantier as assistant hitting coach, and Bill Hezel as assistant pitching coach (rest of 2022 staff retained)

I love all these hires.

The ex-Yankees hitting coaches were scape-goats for a flawed roster and Hezel is a driveline guy who has clearly had success working with pitchers in the Angels organization.

All three of these hires have connections already within the organization, which is good for relationship-building and earning trust.

7 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

It will be interesting to see how David Fletcher adjusts next season.

Just asking honestly. . .

Of all the Angel hitters, you are interested in how David Fletcher adjusts with the new hitting coaches??

I am interested in all the players, but that’s about the last name that comes to mind in my hopes of seeing something different next year.

Fletcher is a slap hitter that is not going to be an SLG guy no matter who the coaches are.

I am much more interested to see how Adell, Walsh, Stassi, Ward perform under the new coaching.  These are the guys that can make a difference in what the team needs.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man I remember Marcus Thames as the Yankees top prospect. Had tremendous power and so much promise, but never really panned out outside of a few decent seasons. 

I was literally thinking this as I saw the thread title. I always feel old when I see dudes as coaches that I watched in college or coming up.

30 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Of all the Angel hitters, you are interested in how David Fletcher adjusts with the new hitting coaches??

I am interested in all the players, but that’s about the last name that comes to mind in my hopes of seeing something different next year.

Fletcher is a slap hitter that is not going to be an SLG guy no matter who the coaches are.

I am much more interested to see how Adell, Walsh, Stassi, Ward perform under the new coaching.  These are the guys that can make a difference in what the team needs.

I am no expert, but Fletcher seems to swing at a lot of pitches outside of the zone, with a fair amount of success.  Will there be an effort to change that? 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I'm actually very interested to see what can be done with Fletch.  His most productive years as a hitter were 2019/20 when he had a 8+% walk rate.  

His out of zone swing rate those two years was about 25%.  Then jumped to low 30's the last couple of years and his bb rate dropped to about 4% also tanking his BA and his BABIP. 

His swing rate the last two years was almost 50%.  It was about 36% during his good seasons.  

His exit velo dropped a bit and his hard hit rate tanked this last season.  His launch angle was 15 this year.  And in his better years it was significantly less.  His FB% was 40 last year and in the mid to high 20% in previous seasons.  

With his defensive abilities, turning him back into a 3 WAR player would be huge.  He's shown that he can succeed without hitting for power.