• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Machado can opt out, so he's a possibility.

True.  He'll be 31, but he basically needs to gauge whether he can beat 150mil on the open market.  If he has a typical year, given that it'll basically just be him and Ohtani, he would seem to have a pretty clear path to find a team to give him more than 150mil.  If 30 year old Judge can get 360mil I would assume 31 year old Machado can beat 150mil.

38 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

True.  He'll be 31, but he basically needs to gauge whether he can beat 150mil on the open market.  If he has a typical year, given that it'll basically just be him and Ohtani, he would seem to have a pretty clear path to find a team to give him more than 150mil.  If 30 year old Judge can get 360mil I would assume 31 year old Machado can beat 150mil.

There's some buzz that Machado will not opt out of his contract with San Diego because he's pleased with the direction of the team and his contract. 

To me, that sounds like overly optimistic Padres fans given the nature of baseball's economy at the moment. Machado has been worth his contract so far, and at 30 million a year through age 36, there's a good chance he won't be as big of albatross later on.

But when we start talking about extending that contract through age 40, and packing on another 5 million per year, just for the sake of comparative compensation, that is when you'll see the nature of deals turn South in a hurry. 

Judge isn't worth quite that much money now, but at age 38, it'll be laughably bad. Bogaerts is paid about what he's worth right now. But at age 40, he won't be worth a single red cent of the millions he's making.

I’m starting to be in the camp of focusing on one RH set up man, and use the various RHP options (Silseth, Canning, Barria, maybe CRod) for the 6th rotation spot.

Then if in July they are contending and are struggling to find the 6th starter, they can acquire one on an expiring contract and save over half a year’s salary against the tax threshold?

They clearly need much more another late innings guy.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m starting to be in the camp of focusing on one RH set up man, and use the various RHP options (Silseth, Canning, Barria, maybe CRod) for the 6th rotation spot.

Then if in July they are contending and are struggling to find the 6th starter, they can acquire one on an expiring contract and save over half a year’s salary against the tax threshold?

They clearly need much more another late innings guy.

Minasian seems to be pretty aggressive when it comes to promotions, so maybe one of Silseth or Bush are deemed "ready."  Barria gets mentioned here a lot, but I really don't think he is viewed as a SP by this FO.  

It sounds like CRod won't be ready based on recent reports of his health, so I think the prime candidates are Silseth, Canning (have not heard anything about his health), and maybe Bush.  

I still think CRod might be made into a reliever, but if he isn't, then I think we have to recognize that CRod would probably be earmarked for, say, 70-90 innings at most, as he recovers from injury and has not really pitched much in years.

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

4th outfielder?

I have seen various people report, in varying degrees, SP, RP, SS .. I have not really seen anyone report on interest in a 4th OF.

It is interesting to see us linked to a SS, as I don't really see how that would be possible given that we have 6 infielders guaranteed for roster spots currently.

Mike Trout
6:05
Do you think that Kim from the Padres would be an upgrade at SS

Anthony Franco
6:07
Definitely but I also find it hard to see San Diego actually giving him up. The Halos do have the kind of controllable starting pitching that'd probably get the Padres to think about it, but dealing someone like Sandoval or Detmers just thins out a rotation that finally looks like a strength for them
I don't think SD would find it all that persuasive if the Angels offered José Suarez

Dave Roberts
6:13
Are we really holding out for othani. I keep reading rumors about it

Anthony Franco
6:13
(Dodgers)

I feel pretty confident in saying the Dodgers will make a serious run at Ohtani in free agency next year. Will they get him? I have no idea; they'll be one of the favorites but there's going to be a ton of competition

Rally Monkey
6:18
Could you see the Angels and Rox lining up for a Marquez trade? What would entice the Rockies enough to deal him?

Anthony Franco
6:19
Don't think Colorado's dealing him, no. They're already light in the rotation as is, and it would be a weird time to sell low

Julio
6:46
The AL West is still the Astros’. The Angels and Rangers have made big moves this off-season. Which (if either) do you foresee making a run at a wild card spot?

Anthony Franco
6:47
Agreed Houston's the favorite, Seattle still second. Texas and Angels would both be in the Wild Card mix for me, think I'd go slight lean towards Anaheim right now

They're really close though, and Texas' left field addition could push them past the Halos. 80% of that division should be good

26 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I have seen various people report, in varying degrees, SP, RP, SS .. I have not really seen anyone report on interest in a 4th OF.

It is interesting to see us linked to a SS, as I don't really see how that would be possible given that we have 6 infielders guaranteed for roster spots currently.

If it's true, and I'm not remotely convinced it is, it would mean we're running Fletcher and Walsh or one of our other infielders not named Rendon as our fourth OF. 

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Remember, it’s Jim Bowden.

Jim Bowden 

I still don’t know how legit Bowden is.

He’s a former GM so, in theory, it’s logical that he’d have sources and connections in front offices.

On the other hand, what’s the likelihood that people from all 30 MLB teams told him what their remaining needs are? I’d venture to guess that some portion of those teams respond, but he fills in the blanks himself for the rest. But that’s just a guess.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

image.pngimage.png

Looking strictly at the above without knowing who is who can someone please point out why anyone would pay one of these guys 10 mil instead of 5 mil?

For greater context.

2018-21

18-18 -- 4.67 ERA, 369.2 IP, 87 ERA+, 4.88 FIP, 9.5 H/9, 1.6 HR/9, 3.1 BB/9, 8.1 K/9
25-30 --4.35 ERA, 443.0 IP, 98 ERA+, 4.72 FIP, 8.9 H/9, 1.3 HR9, 3.4 BB9, 6.4 K/9

I guess if I'm trying to pick out the subtle differences.   The couple things that stand out a bit is the BB%, the chase rate, and while neither throws hard, it's likely enough of a difference to be impactful.  

36 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

If it's true, and I'm not remotely convinced it is, it would mean we're running Fletcher and Walsh or one of our other infielders not named Rendon as our fourth OF. 

I’m not convinced either, but if we actually did pick up a SS, I would assume that probably one of our injured infielders (Walsh? Rendon?) is not entirely healthy.  Or we are trading one of Fletcher or Rengifo.

34 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I still don’t know how legit Bowden is.

He’s a former GM so, in theory, it’s logical that he’d have sources and connections in front offices.

On the other hand, what’s the likelihood that people from all 30 MLB teams told him what their remaining needs are? I’d venture to guess that some portion of those teams respond, but he fills in the blanks himself for the rest. But that’s just a guess.

Bowden is speculative.  He says that out front frequently, it’s all for fun.

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

I guess if I'm trying to pick out the subtle differences.   The couple things that stand out a bit is the BB%, the chase rate, and while neither throws hard, it's likely enough of a difference to be impactful.  

That is pretty much the point.  They are basically the same guy, the difference is one of them stunk last season while the other guy smoke and mirrored his way through 2022 and had been a pretty good pitcher through age 23.... 8 years ago.   That good early impression makes people gloss over the reality he's posted an ERA+ of 93 since 2016.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Courtesy of @Trendon

Bowden basically gives the Cliff notes from Blum’s article of which remaining free agents could interest the Angels. Cueto being the best fit.  Blum says it’s not likely Angels go for 4th OF but gives a couple names.