• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

21 minutes ago, mmc said:

Where did this idea come from that Hoerner would be moved?

Probably from people who don’t understand the concept of roster building.

They think “the Cubs signed a SS, therefore they will trade the incumbent SS.”

When in reality, the Cubs aren’t spending $177M to then trade away one of their best position players.

Just now, Trendon said:

Probably from people who don’t understand the concept of roster building.

They think “the Cubs signed a SS, therefore they will trade the incumbent SS.”

When in reality, the Cubs aren’t spending $177M to then trade away one of their best position players.

While I agree with this, it is also possible that they could opt to trade him for players who could help ameliorate their other weaknesses.  Hoerner's value is highest as a SS, and they could potentially flip him to a SS needy team to get some players they really need.

That said though, that idea would work better if they had a legit / good 2B already.  I don't think Madrigal fits that description, thus, the most likely outcome is the obvious one - Hoerner shifts to 2B and displaces Madrigal, thus upgrading two spots for them (SS, 2B).

45 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While I agree with this, it is also possible that they could opt to trade him for players who could help ameliorate their other weaknesses.  Hoerner's value is highest as a SS, and they could potentially flip him to a SS needy team to get some players they really need.

Perhaps, but I don’t think the Angels could help them there.

On paper, it seems like their biggest need is bats.

They actually have a decent collection of starters. No aces, but a bunch of solid guys.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Where did this idea come from that Hoerner would be moved?

The same Angels' fan delusions that would have them sign a guy who would allow them to make 32 follow up moves to get a second guy the have heard of before but who currently plays for a team with zero need to move him.

3 of those 4 teams, I would imagine, are okay with their new SSs (Dodgers, Braves, Red Sox).  Twins are the team that I imagine would be interested in upgrading SS.  I think the SS market, in terms of trades, shouldn't be terribly competitive, so if we are so inclined to trade for one, I think decent opportunities could be available.