• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

As Angels Tumble, Arte defends his Turf

Chuck

Great little article.  I am glad someone got some quotes from him.

One thing:

"You look at Albert's numbers,'' Moreno says, "and for the chance to bring that quality of player to Southern California, for our fans to get to see one of the greatest players today, to play in our ballpark every day. You kidding me? That's a treat.

Nobody here cares about Albert's St. Louis numbers, Arte.  Except perhaps you and Gubi.  You'd think a marketing genius would understand that.

Later in the article, talking about Carl Crawford.... It is CLEAR Arte has rabbit ears when he was called cheap for not getting Crawford.  Then he proceeds to overspend the next two years on failures (Hamilton) and relative failures (Pujols).

Again, I blame the Angelswin crowd.  They needed their damn Christmas presents under the tree... and Arte listened to them.

Arte probably hasn't spent five minutes in his life looking at this site.

My guess is that he has... and even if he has not, the "Angelswin crowd" is bugging him at the Newport Beach breakfast place about not signing Crawford types.  Or the Plashke/Simers types who were ripping him.

If there's anyone who is going to be their next $100 million-plus player, it will be Trout. He's still two years from salary arbitration, and there have been no discussions about a long-term deal, simply because the Angels have no idea what he's worth.

I really don't understand this train of thought.  It's not about giving Trout what he's worth.  But extending the club control.  And right now, we only have 4 1/2 years of control left, and the more we wait, the more likely he will test free agency.

To me Moreno is the kind of owner you want. He hires baseball people to do the job and opens his wallet to get the best he can. Sure Hamilton and Pujols are looking more like busts a this point but that sometimes happens. Imagine if he were the type to micro manage everything because he thought he knows best.

Albert Pujols hit 3 home runs on one October night against Texas and the rest is history. Arte was duped into believing that Albert would take this team to another level and help build a championship dynasty. That didn't work so then Josh Hamilton was Arte's next false hope to give Albert some help. Arte is a very passionate owner with good intentions but it's all blown up in his face. Pujols and Hamilton failed him and the fans.

I like the fact that he has the long range plan in mind, thus his comments to Hamilton. Now whether or not Hamilton figures it out and earns a significant portion of his contract remains to be seen, but I think Arte's point is that Hamilton is only 10% into his contract (half a year of five years), so he's not going to judge that a complete waste...yet.

I also think Arte's comments about Pujols are a good reminder that with Albert he's not just, or even primarily, paying for stats on a page. He's paying to have a living baseball legend play in an Angels uniform. Albert Pujols is one of the two dozen or so greatest hitters in baseball history, and one of the three or four greatest first basemen, so his value goes beyond his WAR. If we keep that in mind, as long as he's producing at a pretty good clip he's "worth" the money.

I also think Arte's comments about Pujols are a good reminder that with Albert he's not just, or even primarily, paying for stats on a page. He's paying to have a living baseball legend play in an Angels uniform. Albert Pujols is one of the two dozen or so greatest hitters in baseball history, and one of the three or four greatest first basemen, so his value goes beyond his WAR. If we keep that in mind, as long as he's producing at a pretty good clip he's "worth" the money.

That is money wasted, then.  Very few people in Anaheim care about the living legend who is Albert Pujols, unless he became legendary doing stuff as an Angel.

Just about every single ad for selling tickets this year I've seen by the Angels features Trout or Bourjos.  So if they are selling the legend who is Pujols, someone in marketing has their signals crossed.

did moreno think people would flock to the stadium because of albert pujols? people care about watching a competitive team and that's the bottom line 'cause stone cold said so.

if he's unhappy with the product, he should stop meddling in front office affairs (if the rumors are true). what's the point in hiring a gm if you're going to conduct all the transactions yourself?

Albert Pujols hit 3 home runs on one October night against Texas and the rest is history. Arte was duped into believing that Albert would take this team to another level and help build a championship dynasty. That didn't work so then Josh Hamilton was Arte's next false hope to give Albert some help. Arte is a very passionate owner with good intentions but it's all blown up in his face. Pujols and Hamilton failed him and the fans.

You're an absolute idiot if you really believe Pujols was signed because of one playoff game.

This is nowhere near GMJ turning an amazing catch into a multi year deal.

I like the fact that he has the long range plan in mind, thus his comments to Hamilton. Now whether or not Hamilton figures it out and earns a significant portion of his contract remains to be seen, but I think Arte's point is that Hamilton is only 10% into his contract (half a year of five years), so he's not going to judge that a complete waste...yet.

AJ, I always respected your logic but bringing in Albert Pujols for what he used to do was a huge mistake on the field. Prince Fielder was the better choice for a longterm on the field investment. Pujols was brought in because of his "star power" legendary past. I wish we could have Albert start his 10 year service contract now and then have him try to start playing at age 42. He would then bow out gracefully.

That is money wasted, then. Very few people in Anaheim care about the living legend who is Albert Pujols, unless he became legendary doing stuff as an Angel.

Just about every single ad for selling tickets this year I've seen by the Angels features Trout or Bourjos. So if they are selling the legend who is Pujols, someone in marketing has their signals crossed.

I disagree.

From marketing to ticket sales to merch, having a once in a life time player boosts a lot for your company from generated income to value.

Signing him also accomplished a huge goal of taking an on the fence fan or casual fan and likely making them an Angels fan which has always been his primary goal.

Granted, no one will care when he's a DH in year 6-7. But the initial signing already solidifies a fan base and gets others to think this owner will do whatever it takes to win and jump on board.

I disagree.

From marketing to ticket sales to merch, having a once in a life time player boosts a lot for your company from generated income to value.

Signing him also accomplished a huge goal of taking an on the fence fan or casual fan and likely making them an Angels fan which has always been his primary goal.

Granted, no one will care when he's a DH in year 6-7. But the initial signing already solidifies a fan base and gets others to think this owner will do whatever it takes to win and jump on board.

Attendance went down slightly from 2011 to 2012 and looks to be stagnant this year. I'm pretty sure merchandise sales are split among all 30 teams so that's not that important. I guess you can argue that the decline would be steeper without Pujols.

a player like pujols becomes a novelty once the team starts sucking. i'm sure people showed up on opening day to catch a glimpse of him on the field but you can't honestly believe people keep showing up just to watch one guy play. this isn't an indictment of the angels. that's how it is for every team.

That is money wasted, then.  Very few people in Anaheim care about the living legend who is Albert Pujols, unless he became legendary doing stuff as an Angel.

Just about every single ad for selling tickets this year I've seen by the Angels features Trout or Bourjos.  So if they are selling the legend who is Pujols, someone in marketing has their signals crossed.

Exactly, now that we have our own developing legend in Mike Trout, maybe Arte Moreno will now shy away from having to make a big splash every year.

Yes, I said in the past that it would enhance the team to bring in a superstar. 

BUT, I said "a superstar".   I didn't say anything about breaking the bank each winter for a age 30+ high money FA. 

He had better not be bringing in Cano this off-season.    Focus on making the farm strong, and on STRATEGIC acquisitions and not just a big splash every winter.   Balance is how just about EVERY post-season team approaches things. 

Attendance went down slightly from 2011 to 2012 and looks to be stagnant this year. I'm pretty sure merchandise sales are split among all 30 teams so that's not that important. I guess you can argue that the decline would be steeper without Pujols.

They're still on pace for 3m fans.

I'm not discounting winning as that ulitmately brings fans....I haven't even watched many games this year because I'm tired of losing.

But I see the big picture outside of Pujols and what Arte is doing from a business end.