• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

O'Hoppe

Ron Mexico

Eppler used to say that Adell would tell him (with his play) when he was ready. Then he got desperate for his job and promoted him before he was ready (and because there was no minors for Jo to spend the year at). O’Hoppe will make it clear when he’s ready to come up. He needs to have a run of sustained success at multiple levels. That’s why I think the Angels need to sign a 1B catcher next year. O’Hoppe shouldn’t be the plan for next year. 

3 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Eppler used to say that Adell would tell him (with his play) when he was ready. Then he got desperate for his job and promoted him before he was ready (and because there was no minors for Jo to spend the year at). O’Hoppe will make it clear when he’s ready to come up. He needs to have a run of sustained success at multiple levels. That’s why I think the Angels need to sign a 1B catcher next year. O’Hoppe shouldn’t be the plan for next year. 

I liked Eppler, but bringing Adell up in 2020 may have been the biggest mistake this team has made since signing AP.  Maybe even worse.

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I liked Eppler, but bringing Adell up in 2020 may have been the biggest mistake this team has made since signing AP.  Maybe even worse.

Add the group of young pitchers to the list of his mistakes. 

29 minutes ago, eligrba said:

If he is available to play, he would fit in with the current roster.  Maybe Brandon was 15 years ahead of his time?

It’s kind of like how Twitter was way ahead of AW with hot takes similar to yours. With all due respect. 

He's the top ranked prospect, and needs to go through a full developmental phase. The organization shouldn't become impatient. They will want to justify the trades, but catching is a complex position.

Not only does he have to be able to hit major league pitching, but he has to refine his defense and handle major league pitching. Some of the Angel pitching prospects will likely join the big team as well so it helps having him get in sync with the best guys on that staff.

As well, for fans to fixate on his daily and weekly progress is counter productive. Progress isn't always obvious and might not show in his stats. See what he has in spring training and assess his status. 

On another note, you may have heard that 75 year old Bill Lee collapsed while warming up in the bullpen for this surreal team. Lee was a favorite of mine with the Expos. And a very good pitcher. Not surprised that he still wants to play. And he found the perfect team! ESPN also has an in depth story about that wacked out team! 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34427438/former-major-league-pitcher-bill-lee-collapses-warming-savanah-bananas

https://www.mlb.com/news/savannah-bananas-the-dancing-globetrotters-of-baseball-explained

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It was a real head scratcher to me, but let's be fair, Eppler was not a complete moron, so maybe there is more to this than was clear on the surface?

Adell was promoted to the big league club in lieu of being sent to the practice site. Eppler thought his development would be better served at the major league level. Considering our rather stagnant development of pretty much all of our minor league position players, and Moreno's reported 'cheapness' during the pandemic, maybe he was not wrong to think this wasn't going to help him.

39 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It was a real head scratcher to me, but let's be fair, Eppler was not a complete moron, so maybe there is more to this than was clear on the surface?

Adell was promoted to the big league club in lieu of being sent to the practice site. Eppler thought his development would be better served at the major league level. Considering our rather stagnant development of pretty much all of our minor league position players, and Moreno's reported 'cheapness' during the pandemic, maybe he was not wrong to think this wasn't going to help him.

Upton was in a funk, they were looking for a spark..  They rolled the dice.   It was a mistake.  

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Upton was in a funk, they were looking for a spark..  They rolled the dice.   It was a mistake.  

You really think it was that simple? With how poorly the organization has been run in general I should probably agree with you, but man, it's just hard to believe that Eppler had no clue who Jo Adell was as a player at that point.

30 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You really think it was that simple? With how poorly the organization has been run in general I should probably agree with you, but man, it's just hard to believe that Eppler had no clue who Jo Adell was as a player at that point.

I don’t think it was that simple. I think they wanted him to play to continue to develop and since there was no minor league season they rolled the dice. 

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

If Jo Adell was somehow ruined by a crappy two month call-up to the bigs, then he is way too soft to have a successful MLB career. I can’t imagine his premature call-up has had a shred of impact on his subsequent failures. 

Adell is still very young. Like Rengifo I play Adell everyday rest of season.