• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

O'Hoppe

Ron Mexico

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think it was that simple. I think they wanted him to play to continue to develop and since there was no minor league season they rolled the dice. 

Then he had no idea where he was developmentally or Eppler is as stupid as his detractors believe him to be. 

I genuinely believe they chose to roll the dice.  They had moved him up aggressively at every level only to see his physical talents take over, why not see if he could see the same kind of results.  Had they truly wanted him to get development time I would have thought they would break camp with him.  From a team control POV they were giving up a year of control by calling him up when they did so, seems truly stupid to give a year away in the name of "development". 

Maybe they believed seeing fewer pitchers and needing to adjust to fewer parks would make it easier for him (given the restrictions), but I seriously can't imagine they watched him play and said, yep... he's ready for the next level.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

If Jo Adell was somehow ruined by a crappy two month call-up to the bigs, then he is way too soft to have a successful MLB career. I can’t imagine his premature call-up has had a shred of impact on his subsequent failures. 

Ruined, no.  The point is he wasnt ready, not remotely close to being able to compete at the MLB level.   There is no question he had/has the tools.  The fact that he hasn't regressed or completely cratered is a sign he's not soft, so you're just pissing at the wind with that comment. 

He remains a work in progress.  

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Upton was in a funk, they were looking for a spark..  They rolled the dice.   It was a mistake.  

"Do we have any other black guys? Seriously, any one. We need a better one" - Eppler, seeing Upton struggle.

"A real one this time. Not like that time we checked the minor league roster and picked Reggie Willits because he sounded like that." - Arte

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

If Jo Adell was somehow ruined by a crappy two month call-up to the bigs, then he is way too soft to have a successful MLB career. I can’t imagine his premature call-up has had a shred of impact on his subsequent failures. 

No offense, but this is a statement made by someone who didn't watch him play at all.  

Neto got promoted to AA after 31 PA in A+ and is doing very well.  He's probably more ready for mlb than Adell is right now let alone what Jo was like 2+ years ago.  But if they called Zach up right now (which would be horribly stupid), what would you say if he struggled mightily?  That if it impacted him he probably wouldn't be successful anyway?  

Everyone saw Adell's numbers in the minors.  And the mammoth hrs he hit on a regular.  But if you had actually seen him play, you'd realize that calling him up in 2020 it would be equivalent to calling up someone from A+ ball relative to the actual baseball skill level he had.  

Did he have the entire scouting department fooled?  

I think they stupidly tried to catch lightning in a bottle and even still, Jo isn't ready because he's still living off of being a freak athlete and not a baseball player.  All that early call up did was to make him think that he could do it that way.  

He's gonna get it I think, but probably when he's 25/26.  That could have happened sooner if they didn't rush him.  

They didn't ruin him but they haven't optimized his development in any way.  

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You know how the Rockies developed Arenado, but the rest of their hyped guys in the past decade have mostly flopped? Tapia, Hampson, Dahl, Rodgers, McMahon...

It turns out, Arenado is the exception, not the rule, in fundamentally broken organizations. 

The Angels and Trout. 

Rogers has a 3.4 WAR this year. McMahon had a 4 WAR year in 2021 and already has a 2.7 WAR this year. 

Granted, the rest of those guys suck.

The Rockies are a victim of terrible GM's. 

The Angels, a terrible owner.

13 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

Rogers has a 3.4 WAR this year. McMahon had a 4 WAR year in 2021 and already has a 2.7 WAR this year. 

Granted, the rest of those guys suck.

The Rockies are a victim of terrible GM's. 

The Angels, a terrible owner.

The Angels have both, terrible GM and terrible owner. 

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Then he had no idea where he was developmentally or Eppler is as stupid as his detractors believe him to be. 

I genuinely believe they chose to roll the dice.  They had moved him up aggressively at every level only to see his physical talents take over, why not see if he could see the same kind of results.  Had they truly wanted him to get development time I would have thought they would break camp with him.  From a team control POV they were giving up a year of control by calling him up when they did so, seems truly stupid to give a year away in the name of "development". 

Maybe they believed seeing fewer pitchers and needing to adjust to fewer parks would make it easier for him (given the restrictions), but I seriously can't imagine they watched him play and said, yep... he's ready for the next level.

Ruined, no.  The point is he wasnt ready, not remotely close to being able to compete at the MLB level.   There is no question he had/has the tools.  The fact that he hasn't regressed or completely cratered is a sign he's not soft, so you're just pissing at the wind with that comment. 

He remains a work in progress.  

So did his premature call up have an impact on his development, or not? Please provide me your expertise and wisdom on this one. If you say it did, explain to me how two bad months in MLB could screw up a guy permanently? (And why if it did, that person isn’t soft and incapable of overcoming a little bit of failure). And if you say it did not, tell me how I am “pissing at the wind.” 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

So did his premature call up have an impact on his development, or not? Please provide me your expertise and wisdom on this one. If you say it did, explain to me how two bad months in MLB could screw up a guy permanently? (And why if it did, that person isn’t soft and incapable of overcoming a little bit of failure). And if you say it did not, tell me how I am “pissing at the wind.”

Why are you wanting me to answer for arguments I didn't make, things I don't believe?  

I don't believe he was ruined, said as much in my initial response to you. I've never come close to saying that about him in response to anyone.. I'm arguing his call up wasn't about development (Strad's poisition) and that they were trying to catch lightning in a bottle....  I said that imo nothing he's done since the call up makes me believe he's soft in my initial response to you.

There is an entire thread about Adell and his call up where I basically say point blank I have no idea how they handle the situation moving forward, so despite your condescending usage of "wisdom and expertise", I've made it clear getting him to the next level is better left to somewhat better equipped to handle the task.  But I do believe it was a mistake to call him up when they did for multiple reasons.

Arguing something that hasn't happened (been ruined, shown to be soft), is imo pointless, thus pissing into the wind.  Wasn't trying to talk shit to you.

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

You know how the Rockies developed Arenado, but the rest of their hyped guys in the past decade have mostly flopped? Tapia, Hampson, Dahl, Rodgers, McMahon...

It turns out, Arenado is the exception, not the rule, in fundamentally broken organizations. 

The Angels and Trout. 

What actually happened to Dahl? Had a solid age 22 season, OPS over .800 in each of his first 3 seasons, and then just completely disappeared. That's exactly the sort of stuff that happens to the Angels. 

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Why are you wanting me to answer for arguments I didn't make, things I don't believe?  

I don't believe he was ruined, said as much in my initial response to you. I've never come close to saying that about him in response to anyone.. I'm arguing his call up wasn't about development (Strad's poisition) and that they were trying to catch lightning in a bottle....  I said that imo nothing he's done since the call up makes me believe he's soft in my initial response to you.

There is an entire thread about Adell and his call up where I basically say point blank I have no idea how they handle the situation moving forward, so despite your condescending usage of "wisdom and expertise", I've made it clear getting him to the next level is better left to somewhat better equipped to handle the task.  But I do believe it was a mistake to call him up when they did for multiple reasons.

Arguing something that hasn't happened (been ruined, shown to be soft), is imo pointless, thus pissing into the wind.  Wasn't trying to talk shit to you.

Then maybe you mid-understood my initial point, which was simply that Adell’s early call-up has had (IMO) no negative impact on the player he is today. Whether he will be a failure or a superstar (I think he will be a complete bust, and I think that is obvious at this point), Eppler isn’t to blame for calling him up early. 

9 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

What actually happened to Dahl? Had a solid age 22 season, OPS over .800 in each of his first 3 seasons, and then just completely disappeared. That's exactly the sort of stuff that happens to the Angels. 

Lack of pitch recognition, a fundamental school they're supposed to refine through the developmental process in the minor leagues. But when your system is broken, teams never help these players develop the necessary skills and thus the player has a complete inability to adjust. 

They only get by for a short period of time because of their immense physical tools and athleticism. So David Dahl is toiling in the anonymity of AAA. 

See Jo Adell.