• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

O'Hoppe

Ron Mexico

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

As a catcher, which is a really difficult position to develop, he should get accustomed to working with all the pitchers we drafted who are currently in AA. Why bring him up now? The season is lost. 

Jason Varitek was drafted three times, twice in the first round, and he was a Golden Spikes winner.  He didn't get more than a one game cup of coffee until age 26.  He wasn't an everyday catcher until age 27.  Nobody ever questioned his work behind the plate or with pitchers at any level. 

Catching is hard.  Catching at the MLB level is harder.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jason Varitek was drafted three times, twice in the first round, and he was a Golden Spikes winner.  He didn't get more than a one game cup of coffee until age 26.  He wasn't an everyday catcher until age 27.  Nobody ever questioned his work behind the plate or with pitchers at any level. 

One size probably doesn’t fill all but Benjie Molina was 24 when he was first called up and was a regular at 25…. probably a pretty good barometer….a few younger perhaps but that’s not a bad age for a catcher to start…. particularly if you have a veteran guy to share the load…

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

ah yes, traded for the great heathcliff slocumb.

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

One size probably doesn’t fill all but Benjie Molina was 24 when he was first called up and was a regular at 25…. probably a pretty good barometer….a few younger perhaps but that’s not a bad age for a catcher to start…. particularly if you have a veteran guy to share the load…

Molina's first professional season came at age 18.  He was 6 years into his pro career.   He ascent to MLB from the minors actually took longer than Varitek. 

Catching is hard.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Molina's first professional season came at age 18.  He was 6 years into his pro career.   He ascent to MLB from the minors actually took longer than Varitek. 

Catching is hard.

True….but most college guys should be closer to the bigs than an 18 year old…plus, Varitek didn’t sign after his Jr year, like most good college prospects…Boras couldn’t get him signed after his Jr year…that delayed his big league timeline a bit….but, no doubt, it’s probably the position that can take the longest to get ready…more so than pitching even…

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

True….but most college guys should be closer to the bigs than an 18 year old…plus, Varitek didn’t sign after his Jr year, like most good college prospects…Boras couldn’t get him signed after his Jr year…that delayed his big league timeline a bit….but, no doubt, it’s probably the position that can take the longest to get ready…more so than pitching even…

Take the longest, has the lowest success rate.   

Mostly, I dont want them to rush an actual talent if there is no need.  We have seen to much of it in recent years.

I had never seen the kid play before the trade -- what I've seen I've liked.  

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Take the longest, has the lowest success rate.   

Mostly, I dont want them to rush an actual talent if there is no need.  We have seen to much of it in recent years.

I had never seen the kid play before the trade -- what I've seen I've liked.  

I would say to bring him up after the AA post-season is over to get a taste of the bigs.   But with rosters only expanding by 2 now in September, it’s best to let him show his stuff in ST.

4 hours ago, Tank said:

ah yes, traded for the great heathcliff slocumb.

Varitek, a catcher, was traded for a cartoon cat.

Sosh, a catcher, was the butt of a ton of lasagna jokes on here, like Garfield, a cartoon cat.

We know what we need to do here. (The problem is there aren't any more cartoon cats, so we're screwed).

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Sosh, a catcher, was the butt of a ton of lasagna jokes on here, like Garfield, a cartoon cat.

We know what we need to do here. (The problem is there aren't any more cartoon cats, so we're screwed).

O' Hoppe is an Irish name. There is always the beer or Irish whiskey jokes. Or even a limmerick or two.

20 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Gee Re(co)n, whatever do you mean?

StimpySway.gif