• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thaiss or Walsh

BTH

Thaiss or Walsh?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Thaiss or Walsh?

• Thaiss
    • Walsh

Thaiss should be playing catcher and first base in an audition for next year's squad, and Stefanic should be at 3B or 2B, whatever Rengifo isn't playing.

It may not matter much for Thaiss anyway. O'Hoppe continues to destroy AA pitching, at an even accelerated pace since the trade, and the ball park/competition in AAA don't figure to be any more difficult, and scouts are already raving about his defense, athleticism and leadership. He might be up and splitting time with Stassi to start next year. 

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

....O'Hoppe continues to destroy AA pitching, at an even accelerated pace since the trade, and the ball park/competition in AAA don't figure to be any more difficult, and scouts are already raving about his defense, athleticism and leadership. He might be up and splitting time with Stassi to start next year. 

I think that is a real possibility.....veteran guy, young guy split time....makes sense at a very physically demanding position.....the Braves have utilized d'Arnaud and Wilson Contreras very effectively....

42 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think that is a real possibility.....veteran guy, young guy split time....makes sense at a very physically demanding position.....the Braves have utilized d'Arnaud and Wilson Contreras very effectively....

Stassi isn’t too expensive and even said he’s excited for O’Hoppe. 

What I don’t understand is why they signed Suzuki with Thaiss and Wallach perfectly capable of doing what he’s doing. I wonder if Suzuki is auditioning to be on the staff next year. 

23 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Stassi isn’t too expensive and even said he’s excited for O’Hoppe. 

What I don’t understand is why they signed Suzuki with Thaiss and Wallach perfectly capable of doing what he’s doing. I wonder if Suzuki is auditioning to be on the staff next year. 

Because you don’t go into a season expecting a guy who caught 45 minor league games (after a five year layoff of catching) to be part of a MLB catching rotation. 

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not really. He plays 1B about as well as Billy Butler used to. DiChiara is exclusively a DH, and I think he'll be a Vogelbach type of hitter based on his build and skill set.

I'm honestly okay with him being average or slightly below at first base. 

If Perry is okay with Suzuki behind the dish, then i'm okay with Sonny D at first. 

If I were the coach I'd just yell at my players to throw to his chest or else we're running pulls after the games. 

34 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'm honestly okay with him being average or slightly below at first base. 

If Perry is okay with Suzuki behind the dish, then i'm okay with Sonny D at first. 

If I were the coach I'd just yell at my players to throw to his chest or else we're running pulls after the games. 

And no orange slices!

So the Angels control Stassi for the next three seasons (2023-2025). The 2025 season is a team option.

According to Roster Resource, Wallach and Thaiss both have one option remaining, which, if correct, means that 2023 is the last season either one of them can stay in the Minors. Wallach is more defense-oriented, while Thaiss is more offense-oriented. I should note that it says 1 option for each of them, currently, but those may be gone by the end of 2022, I always forget how they calculate it on Roster Resource.

One other important detail is that Wallach appears to have 2 years, 152 days of service time which probably means he is arbitration eligible as a Super-Two player. That will probably lead the Angels to non-tender him this offseason. Thaiss, too, is at 0 years, 162 days of service time, which means, he too, could become a Super-Two player if the Angels keep him up all of 2023 and 2024.

Realistically, I don't think Wallach has much of a future with the Angels, since his offense is pretty poor. The Angels would probably prefer the Stassi-Thaiss combination for the near-future since they have opposite-side bats and putting Matt in the backup role would allow his bat to play off the bench and, if Walsh is on the IL, could backup 1B.

Jettisoning Wallach (or maybe they kick Thaiss out, who knows) would allow the Angels to inexpensively move Thaiss up to the Majors to pair with Max and then they could add O'Hoppe to the 40-man, which is marked as Dec 2022 by Roster Resource so it seems like this is the likely outcome.

Edited by ettin

Just now, ettin said:

According to Roster Resource, Wallach and Thaiss both have one option remaining, which, if correct, means that 2023 is the last season either one of them can stay in the Minors. Wallach is more defense-oriented, while Thaiss is more offense-oriented.

Wallach and Thaiss both have one more option, yes, but that last option is being used this season. So they’ll both be out of options in 2023.

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Seems then that DiChiara was drafted with the thought of Ohtani possibly not being here long term?

Maybe he was drafted rather as insurance in case Ohtani does leave.  Or alternatively, they will work with him and see if they can help coach him up to play a passable 1B.

We'll see - hopefully the goal is the latter, not the former.

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

Feel bad for Thais. To be so close to the major leagues and be unable to take the next step.

I thought he was on the verge of becoming an above-league-average hitter after the 2019 season.

He had a .716 OPS in 164 PA in his first taste of the majors in 2019.

Then 2020 came and things got messed up for him. They had moved him to 3B in 2019, but then they signed Rendon in the offseason. And then he was stuck behind Pujols, La Stella, and Walsh at 1B with no minor league season.

That ultimately led to him converting to catcher which has stalled his development as a hitter.