• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Brandon Marsh to the Phillies for Logan O'Hoppe

BTH

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Perry has a chance to make it right in the off-season, regarding MLB manager/coaches.

Make sure everyone is on the same page, and treat ST 2023 as starting over with no looking back.

AO, he isn't long for here either.... He didn't get to choose his guy already once! Why would Arte give him a chance in his 3rd season ever as a GM?

With all due respect to everyone in this this thread, there is no way to know now whether this is a good trade or not. Two young guys who have a lot of upside. One may work out, neither may work out or both may work out….kind of an odd trade  for the Angels (not so much for the Phils) but it certainly isn’t a Vernon Wells stinker that most thought was terrible from the start….

16 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I’m not sure where the confusion lies. I’m not sure if this is good or bad — at this point I see it as a lateral move — but it makes a certain kind of sense.

Maybe the Angels feel like O’Hoppe is almost ready to platoon with Stassi. It certainly (potentially) fills one of their biggest holes next year.

It also implies that they’re going all-in on Adell. The end result remains to be seen, but the upside is still there. Hopefully they give him some starts in center.

While Marsh was no longer a prospect, he was essentially one in the sense of club control, so I look at this as a prospect-for-prospect trade of sorts.

We basically cashed in a CF prospect for a C prospect.  Given that we are committed to Trout in CF, and Ward is basically our RF, Marsh wasn't really necessary.  LF should be one of the easiest spots to fill on a club.

Given that this team has been hurting for catching depth, I think this is a worthwhile trade.  O'Hoppe could be ready by the end of next year.  Quero is very promising, but he's about 4 years or so away, which is a long time (and also a lot of room for failure along the way, given how far away he is).

If you look at Minasian's pedigree - Blue Jays, Braves - they invest a lot in their catching depth/pipeline, so this deal should come as no real surprise in that regard.

We'll see how it pans out, but I see why the move was made.  Our OF pipeline has been weakened, but with 2 spots already accounted for, we could afford to part with Marsh in exchange for a legit catching prospect.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While Marsh was no longer a prospect, he was essentially one in the sense of club control, so I look at this as a prospect-for-prospect trade of sorts.

We basically cashed in a CF prospect for a C prospect.  Given that we are committed to Trout in CF, and Ward is basically our RF, Marsh wasn't really necessary.  LF should be one of the easiest spots to fill on a club.

Given that this team has been hurting for catching depth, I think this is a worthwhile trade.  O'Hoppe could be ready by the end of next year.  Quero is very promising, but he's about 4 years or so away, which is a long time (and also a lot of room for failure along the way, given how far away he is).

If you look at Minasian's pedigree - Blue Jays, Braves - they invest a lot in their catching depth/pipeline, so this deal should come as no real surprise in that regard.

We'll see how it pans out, but I see why the move was made.  Our OF pipeline has been weakened, but with 2 spots already accounted for, we could afford to part with Marsh in exchange for a legit catching prospect.

Yes, agreed. I see Marsh's upside as higher than O'Hoppe's, but O'Hoppe's floor as probably higher, if only because his floor--a decent platoon catcher--is more valuable than Marsh's (4th outfielder).

So now we have:

2023-24 (Maybe 2025): Stassi/O'Hoppe

2025/26-on: O'Hoppe/Quero

The biggest downside is that "O'Hoppe" is annoying to type.

Like most trades, we're not going to know how this turns out for a few years. Maybe Marsh thrives in Philly and we all freak out, and then O'Hoppe reaches the majors and hits a few HR and we breathe a sigh of relief. Or maybe Marsh continues to suck and we laugh in schadenfreude, but then O'Hoppe can't match Mendoza in the majors and we cry bitter tears.

Ok then.  I'm going for the future @Lou here.  

This trade was stupid.  I'm saying that Marsh will end up a much better player and on top of that, I just don't get how a AA catcher is gonna bring us actual value in the window we need it.  

I think the Phils got a steal here.  Elite defender with positive value even though he hasn't shown his upside at the plate.  

Some are geeked about having a top 100 prospect.  Sweet.  

Marsh was already a highly useful player.  

27 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You guys are talking like O Hoppe is a sure thing

If that's the case it's a good move.  Although many "sure things" aren't sure things.

Marsh isn't a sure thing. He has a full year of MLB play and his OPS+ is 82 

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Yes....but I don't give up on a player that was known for understanding the strike zone and then strikes out too often like the entire team.  That sounds like a coaching problem.

I'm not sure they necessarily gave up on him.  I think they flipped him to help fill a position they felt needed significant improvement (catching).  O'Hoppe projects to be a starting catcher.  Sure, that's no guarantee, but neither was Marsh.  I think Minasian's pedigree suggests he highly values catching depth/pipeline, so I think he used what he perceived to be a good trade chip to help strengthen an area that he highly values.

This was basically a prospect-for-prospect swap of sorts.