• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager in 2023

Hubs

Angels Manager in 2023 is  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Angels Manager in 2023?

• Nevin
    • Montgomery
    • Scioscia
    • Girardi
    • Someone Else

42 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

2014 Pujols wRC+ 123

2022 Ohtani wRC+ 135

My 'voodoo math' says Ohtani is 10% better.

I am not arguing that Pujos is a better asset than Ohtani.  I like Ohtani much more.  The original point was that Scoccia in 2014 had a much stronger player group available to work with than Nevin has had.   That all. 

Someone played Ohtani as the trump card for Nevin, and the 2022 Angels having a stronger lineup to work with, and I simply pointed out that 2014 Pujos was as good offensively than 2022 Ohtani in many catagories.

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

I am not arguing that Pujos is a better asset than Ohtani.  I like Ohtani much more.  The original point was that Scoccia in 2014 had a much stronger player group available to work with than Nevin has had.   That all. 

Someone played Ohtani as the trump card for Nevin, and the 2022 Angels having a stronger lineup to work with, and I simply pointed out that 2014 Pujos was as good offensively than 2022 Ohtani in many catagories.

It's health, that's the difference. 

Scioscia's best team was better than this year's Nevin's team ok. But how much of that was Scioscia, and how much was "better players"

Nevin sucks.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It's health, that's the difference. 

Scioscia's best team was better than this year's Nevin's team ok. But how much of that was Scioscia, and how much was "better players"

Nevin sucks.

95% on better players.   Like it always is.  In any sport.

The 5% is intangible and can be argued endlessly.  

Just now, Swordsman78 said:

95% on better players.   Like it always is.  In any sport.

The 5% is intangible and can be argued endlessly.  

Well, this group of players with Maddon went 27-29. Rendon is the one player that hasn't been available for Nevin, Trout has missed some but he missed some under Maddon and so did Ward.

Nevin has taken them 16-30.

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Well, this group of players with Maddon went 27-29. Rendon is the one player that hasn't been available for Nevin, Trout has missed some but he missed some under Maddon and so did Ward.

Like you said.....you're a Scoccia guy.  Nothing wrong with that.   Nevin is stuck with Maddon's coaches and players tho.   Trout's slump under Nevin is explainable with the rib injury.  So he wasn't 100% or close to it when he was available.

35 minutes ago, Hubs said:

To be fair, there's something going on that goes way deeper than Nevin.

This team more or less has seemed to quit. I have to wonder if that's why we had our little fire sale for about the first time ever. You have to wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes. 

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

To be fair, there's something going on that goes way deeper than Nevin.

This team more or less has seemed to quit. I have to wonder if that's why we had our little fire sale for about the first time ever. You have to wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes. 

my concern in all of this is how it will affect efforts to re-sign ohtani. if there's trouble behind the scenes, or in the clubhouse, or wherever, why would anyone want to live in a house that's on fire?

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Seems like people forget Scioscia's teams were mediocre for quite a while

Agreed, but....

Been meaning to mention this recently. The anti-sosh crowd is likely the anti-arte crowd (or at least bulk of it.) And the anti-hatcher crowd, etc etc.

Then you look back and realize nothing got better without Sosh, or hatcher.

The problem is bigger than that. The problem is the organization, for whatever reason, went from a ballplayer factory from salmon to about Trout or so. For 20 years we rolled out major league talent. Lots of star players. 

Then it suddenly stopped. (I have no idea why). But it's where Sosh went from "good" with good players to "he sucks" with bad rosters. 

It popped into my head earlier at the gym when everyone went crazy when Trevor Bell (son of Bozo) said Sosh sucks. Now you look back and say "Trevor who?"

My point isn't that sosh would be any sort of answer. But that this team needs to actually draft and develop star players again.

I was one of the shoulder shrugging "be patient" types a few years ago. "We got in this mess, gonna take time to dig out, but we'll get there"

But that was what, 5 or 6 years ago? The dipoto era. And now should have been when the eppler vision was fixing things... but Marsh and Adell so far haven't been shit, and nobody else on the farm is making much of a case to be the next staple.

No coach is going to loom good in that scenario.

Dumb

18 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

2014 Pujos .272 with 105 RBI's had a better year offensively than 2022 Ohtani (up to this point).

Dumber

17 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

I will explain it so a 5 year old can understand.

2014 Pujos had 189 extra bases.  Ohtani has 120 currently which is 180 extrapolated to year end.  Take your voodoo math elsewhere.

Dumbest

15 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

I simply pointed out that 2014 Pujos was as good offensively than 2022 Ohtani in many catagories.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

In 2014 Scioscia had this twat to deal with.

1*gQ_ShML5RkuV5qUmCsoOMg.jpeg

Not trying to make excuses for Sosh, but...

On top of that and the ghost of Pujols, the last decade of Sosh, the only talent that came through the system was a handful of pitchers who all needed Tommy John, no pen, and CJ Cron and Calhoun. Ohtani at the very end.

It's a talent problem, not a coaching one (IMO).

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

On top of that and the ghost of Pujols, the last decade of Sosh, the only talent that came through the system was a handful of pitchers who all needed Tommy John, no pen, and CJ Cron and Calhoun. Ohtani at the very end.

....and who is in charge of gathering talent, .....the GM's.  If I had to rank the last three GM's in that regard I would say Eppler was #1, Minasian is #2 right now, and #3, and far behind, is DiPoto.

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think there may coaching issues in the lower levels of the farm system. The coaches are a lot more important in the developmental stages as opposed to the major leagues. I think this org has problems with talent and coaching. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think there may coaching issues in the lower levels of the farm system. The coaches are a lot more important in the developmental stages as opposed to the major leagues. I think this org has problems with talent and coaching. 

I would suspect the same. But then again, I couldn't name any minor league coaches if you paid me, in any organization.

I think too it's scouting. So many good players out there who go after the first 2 or 3 rounds.... that some teams seem to do well with.

Is it coaching? Maybe. But you have to believe they see something in these guys, too.

We may suck at developing these guys, but I also think we struggle finding them.