• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Q&A: What is going to happen at the trade deadline?

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Players with more than 1 year J.C. experience may be usefull. The point is these guys never had  MLB career, two of them never drafted. What experience do they bring that relates to a MLB system? Are they the best at what they do or simply who would take a minimum wage job? 

You seem to be focused on experience rather than knowledge and teaching skills.

I don’t think anybody would say that experience means nothing.  But I am saying it is reasonable to rank knowledge and teaching skills over mlb playing experience.

To me anyway, it is a bit of an eye-roller that all these favorite past players are always mentioned as possible great coaches.  Percy!!  Ersty!!  Salmon!!

Maybe they would be good coaches and maybe they would be infinitely worse than a guy that never played in the majors.

Just saying this omnipresent assumption by fans that these household names are automatically better bets than others seems a little silly to me.

It's not that that they are not household names, these guys are no names. It's like anyone that shows up gets to be the hitting coach. No experience required and then you guys wonder why the call ups can't hit major league pitching. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

It's not that that they are not household names, these guys are no names. It's like anyone that shows up gets to be the hitting coach. No experience required and then you guys wonder why the call ups can't hit major league pitching. 

Do you think the Dodgers have a bunch of former All Star major leaguers coaching in their system?

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Do you think the Dodgers have a bunch of former All Star major leaguers coaching in their system?

Dodgers year after year trade prospects to get want they need. Always top pitcher, bullpen help or a position player. Still have a great farm system. They are in playoffs every year. I fear that Ohtani could end up with Dodgers after 2023. 

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

I think there is something to be said about having experience with coaches. If you have a long pro career at different levels you will encounter a lot of different theories and methods for coaching. Obviously actual baseball talent isn't really important for a coach but it should mean you had access to generally more successful coaches from which you can draw your own ideas from. 

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

I don't know whether it is important on who coaches but more important and what they do and how they do it.  As an organization, they can generate gobs of data to provide feedback to players and coaches.  The domian of knowledge of a coach is less important than how the coach helps a player improve.  A coach will never make every player a superstar, but if they can help a player be fundamentally sound with a consistent approach to the game, improvements will result.  I see other organizations getting more out of their players using no name coaches.  The Giants immediately come to mind.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am not talking about All Stars, Jeff. I am pointing out the pay probably doesn't attract the highest quality applicants. You guys can shift the focus and think it's about name brands but what it really seems to be about is cutting costs. 

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

I am not talking about All Stars, Jeff. I am pointing out the pay probably doesn't attract the highest quality applicants. You guys can shift the focus and think it's about name brands but what it really seems to be about is cutting costs. 

Do you know what Angels minor league coaches get paid compared to other teams?