• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

mmc

14 minutes ago, mmc said:

Could’ve done this any year, but waited until the second deadline when all that’s available are players with  red flags going for table scraps (with rare exceptions like Verlander). I’d say the “coward” narrative still holds true. 

I admire your commitment to stupidity.  That table scrap you are talking about had produced 5.2 fWAR for Detroit.  But sure, his unwillingness to make trades when the team had no chance was clearly a sign of cowardice.

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

The fact that the same 4 or 5 people still feel the need to defend him at every opportunity is as adorable as ever by the way. 

Look at the guy that never fails to bring him up try to point the finger at others for pointing out when he's talking out his rear end..  Guess we can add hypocrite to your descriptions.  

I don't blindly defend Eppler. I'm often critical of him.  My position after Allen/Harvey speaks to that reality.  But by all means continue to make shit up to try to save face.

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I admire your commitment to stupidity.  That table scrap you are talking about had produced 5.2 fWAR for Detroit.  But sure, his unwillingness to make trades when the team had no chance was clearly a sign of cowardice.

Look at the guy that never fails to bring him up try to point the finger at others for pointing out when he's talking out his rear end..  Guess we can add hypocrite to your descriptions.  

I don't blindly defend Eppler. I'm often critical of him.  My position after Allen/Harvey speak to that reality.  But by all means continue to make shit up to try to save face.

You can hold him to the standard that the team has to be in a playoff spot for him to attempt to improve the team, with how much losing has gone on, I expect a sense of urgency at some point.  There’s no reason he couldn’t have acquired controlled players to improve the team beyond the current season, but no, that never happened, and yeah I think that’s pretty chickenshit after 5 losing seasons.  Eventually you have to try something else or lose your job because you’re doing the same shit and never getting a different outcome.  He chose the latter.

And lol, we’re talking about a Mets trade, I think it’s fair to compare the two approaches here.

I know you’re often critical of him but I’m sorry, I just can’t help but find it hilarious that literally every negative post that’s made gets a multiparagraph response.  None of this franchises other losers get defended anywhere near as vehemently.  I don’t even think he was that bad compared to a lot of the idiots that worked for this team, it’s just weird to me how much people seem to feel the need to gas this guy up.  He’s just another failure in this franchise’s pathetically long list of failures.

20 minutes ago, mmc said:

I know you’re often critical of him but I’m sorry, I just can’t help but find it hilarious that literally every negative post that’s made gets a multiparagraph response. 

Dear Guy Responding with a Multi-Paragraph posting:

Nope.  Just the stupid ones where people are talking out their asses pushing an insipid narrative like you are now. (1)

BTW.  I did a quick search of my name and Eppler.  The last time I "defended" him was when someone as misinformed as you currently are tried to pin the Cano trade on him -- and it was one sentence..  That's the entirely of 2022.  Feel free to do the same and tell me what you find and if you have any semblance of character feel free to admit you're full of it. (2)

I don't have a problem with differing opinions on Eppler, just the baseless shit that ignores context like your entire first paragraph that I just chose to ignore. (3)

You'll find a few posts talking about his draft tendencies, my comparing his staff to Minasian and giving Minasian credit for building a better support team.(4)

I admit, I tend to go into detail when I respond to people. Mostly because I want my position to be very clear. and because I like to back my opinions with facts . (5)

XOX.

24 minutes ago, mmc said:

He’s just another failure in this franchise’s pathetically long list of failures.

Does this mean you've over your Minasian is a god phase?

Also, you really don't deserve all the "stupid' comments in the previous posts..   I mean, I think it's a dumb position but I don't believe youre stupid.  So, please accept my apologies for being overly lippy.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dear Guy Responding with a Multi-Paragraph posting:

Nope.  Just the stupid ones where people are talking out their asses pushing an insipid narrative like you are now. (1)

BTW.  I did a quick search of my name and Eppler.  The last time I "defended" him was when someone as misinformed as you currently are tried to pin the Cano trade on him -- and it was one sentence..  Feel free to do the same and tell me what you find and if you have any semblance of character feel free to admit you're full of it. (2)

That's the entirely of 2022. (3)

You'll find a few posts talking about his draft tendencies, my comparing his staff to Minasian and giving Minasian credit for building a better support team. (4)

I admit, I tend to go into detail when I respond to people. Mostly because I want my position to be very clear. and because I like to back my opinions with facts . (5)

XOX.

“Insipid narrative” lol, you haven’t even denied what I said in my original post, he did absolutely nothing to improve the team at the actual trade deadline, count his postseason eligibility deadline move if you want (and it still did nothing to move the needle).

And by “every post gets a multiparagraph response” I wasn’t referring to you only, you’re only one of a few people who get like this.  I’m not even attacking you personally, I’m genuinely curious as to what it is about this guy that makes so many people want to defend him.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Does this mean you've over your Minasian is a god phase?

Lol, I was impressed by the hot start like many others and I gave him credit for putting together a team that looked like they could do something, but it’s very clear now that they can’t  and he has a ton to prove. I’m not ready to fire the guy because I think every GM should be given a minimum of 3 years, but I really couldn’t care less what happens with him.  Though I still think he’s done a better job than Eppler 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And the one person that chooses to be ignorant about it is you, so congrats on that big guy.

Lol @ calling the factual statement of “he didn’t try to improve this team at the trade deadline” “being ignorant about it”.  Sorry you can’t handle reality

1 minute ago, mmc said:

“Insipid narrative” lol, you haven’t even denied what I said in my original post, he did absolutely nothing to improve the team at the actual trade deadline, count his postseason eligibility deadline move if you want (and it still did nothing to move the needle).

I don't believe he had the authority to do it had he wanted to and maybe more importantly, I don't believe he had the farm to.  

As a whole, I'm not a fan of trades for the sake of trades, and I fully believed they needed to build a floor before moving what talent they did have.  But perhaps you could point to actual scenarios he passed on where he could have moved the talent he had for the sort of players you think would have moved the needle.  

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

And by “every post gets a multiparagraph response” I wasn’t referring to you only, you’re only one of a few people who get like this.  I’m not even attacking you personally, I’m genuinely curious as to what it is about this guy that makes so many people want to defend him.

See how I put numbers in shit.  Don't mind me dude, I was having fun with it.   I agree there are people who do respond to every negative post, but that's never been me.  I seriously do stick to the stuff I think is absurd or just hyperbolic.

I can't speak for anyone else as to what their reasoning is.  But for me it comes from having been very aware of how bad the situation was when he got here and how far he had to crawl up just to get back to where the foundation wasn't pure shit.  Most of all, the money situation was pretty clear.  He was buried under a shit ton of bad contract (then added one of his own for giggles). 

I believe a lot of his FA moves were a result of the limitations placed on him by Arte, with the exception of Allen who I think he was guilty of trying to be the smartest guy in the room, he found out he wasn't. I will forever wish that he had been hired instead of Dipoto.  I have zero doubt the franchise would have been far better off.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Lol @ calling the factual statement of “he didn’t try to improve this team at the trade deadline” “being ignorant about it”.  Sorry you can’t handle reality

By factual you mean a post that lacked context, then sure.  I can handle reality, but your reality of the situation is based on the fact that you simply hate the guy.  You wonder why he didn’t go out and get controllable players, how?  What did we have to offer?  The cupboard was bear when he got here.  You know all of this, but you still hold him accountable for it.  

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

I’m genuinely curious as to what it is about this guy that makes so many people want to defend him.

I'll give my opinion on this which I have in defending him relative to your comments probably a dozen time.  

You seem to have a tough time with context.  You want to look at everything he did in a vacuum.  And it's not like the chronic defenders are even really defending him as awesome or amazing.  Just from the the extremist view that you constantly take that he sucked.  

Trying to rip on him for not making a legit trade at the 'trade' deadline yet not acknowledging that the one year he made a trade for an upgrade to the team required CONTEXT as to why he waited.  

But keep going.  It's kinda funny to watch you spin this one.  

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Lol, I was impressed by the hot start like many others and I gave him credit for putting together a team that looked like they could do something, but it’s very clear now that they can’t  and he has a ton to prove. I’m not ready to fire the guy because I think every GM should be given a minimum of 3 years, but I really couldn’t care less what happens with him.  Though I still think he’s done a better job than Eppler 

Because of his pull with Arte I will always wonder if it was all Minasian or if he was trying to build the team his manager asked for..  I do however believe he was 100% into the "culture" talk. -- because Suzuki...

I guess we will find out this winter.   

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't believe he had the authority to do it had he wanted to 

You're the second person to say this now and I'm just curious what exactly is making you think that Arte wouldn't let a GM buy at the deadline?  I've seen nothing that's hinted that that was ever the case

Just now, mmc said:

You're the second person to say this now and I'm just curious what exactly is making you think that Arte wouldn't let a GM buy at the deadline?  I've seen nothing that's hinted that that was ever the case

Because Arte has always had the "extend for the right guy" limits on everyone post-Dipoto.  Do you think Arte would have been willing to okay additional payroll for a lost cause?   

If you're going to argue it didn't have to be for just one year -- again, point to those missed opportunities.  Please point to situations where Eppler could have obtained someone for longer with the farm system that was handed to him.  As it stands, nearly the first thing he did was trade the only two guys with any prospect hype to Atlanta for 20 bWAR of SS play.   

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

By factual you mean a post that lacked context, then sure.  I can handle reality, but your reality of the situation is based on the fact that you simply hate the guy.  You wonder why he didn’t go out and get controllable players, how?  What did we have to offer?  The cupboard was bear when he got here.  You know all of this, but you still hold him accountable for it.  

I don't hate the guy, he's just one of many losers that contributed to the shitshow over the past 12 years, along with Dipoto, Arte, Reagins, Carpino, Maddon, Ausmus, many coaches, Pujols, Hamilton, etc.  Only difference is the others get their fair share of backlash, yet Eppler constantly gets propped up as if he accomplished something.  I won't pretend he didn't do anything good, but he came in to a shit team with a bloated payroll and lackluster farm and he left a shit team with a bloated payroll and lackluster farm.

He acquired Simmons when he first got here and the farm was probably in it's worst state.  If from then on he only improved it, you can't convince me that that's the only move like that he could've pulled off.

23 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

\You want to look at everything he did in a vacuum

I look at where the team was when he came in, what the team did while he was here, and the state they were in immediately once he left, and all I see is a bunch of shit.  You can "context" this all you want, as Josh Donaldson once said, "MLB isn't the try league, it's the get it done league".  5 losing seasons are 5 losing seasons.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because Arte has always had the "extend for the right guy" limits on everyone post-Dipoto.  Do you think Arte would have been willing to okay additional payroll for a lost cause?   

If you're going to argue it didn't have to be for just one year -- again, point to those missed opportunities.  Please point to situations where Eppler could have obtained someone for longer with the farm system that was handed to him.  As it stands, nearly the first thing he did was trade the only two guys with any prospect hype to Atlanta for 20 bWAR of SS play.   

If it was indeed mandated by Arte then that's where I'd direct my blame, and for the record I wasn't happy with Perry's last trade deadline either, I thought not cashing in on Raisel was a huge mistake and I also would've traded Cobb even if he had minimal value due to injury.  

As for "missed opportunities", I personally don't like to blame GMs for missing out on specific players, as I don't think the fans can ever have enough knowledge to know who exactly was viable and who wasn't with trades.  Just whether they address the issues adequately or not.  There's just too many things that can swing things one way or another, teams not liking Angels prospects, NTCs, our GM not being interested, Arte not approving paying the remaining balance, other AL/AL West teams taking an offer from a team outside the league/division, etc.  But when you fail at 5 cracks at it, I think it starts to speak volumes about the person running the show.