• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

mmc

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Hopefully this is Arte to Perry:

Bitcoin Crypto GIF by Jeff Dunham

We don't have too many enticing pieces, really only one, Lorenzen.  Syndergaard is owed quite a bit of money and I seriously wonder how many teams would be willing to take that on when cheaper depth starters will be available, or how much Arte would be willing to eat to facilitate the trade.  Only other real good option is Bradley, with an outside chance of someone biting on a guy like Quijada or Barria. Tepera and Loup will be hard to move with a year remaining unless we eat a ton of salary, and I don't think Duffy or Wade have a ton of value.  Of course we could get really funky and shop Ohtani or sell Ward while his value might be the highest, but that's highly unlikely.

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

We don't have too many enticing pieces, really only one, Lorenzen.  Syndergaard is owed quite a bit of money and I seriously wonder how many teams would be willing to take that on when cheaper depth starters will be available, or how much Arte would be willing to eat to facilitate the trade.  Only other real good option is Bradley, with an outside chance of someone biting on a guy like Quijada or Barria. Tepera and Loup will be hard to move with a year remaining unless we eat a ton of salary, and I don't think Duffy or Wade have a ton of value.  Of course we could get really funky and shop Ohtani or sell Ward while his value might be the highest, but that's highly unlikely.

This is true. But buying and standing pat seem like even worse options.

Just now, Taylor said:

This is true. But buying and standing pat seem like even worse options.

I have no problem buying controllable players, and honestly if we want to extend Ohtani this offseason, we really probably should.  I seriously think 2023 is going to be pivotal season that could be what splits us off from mediocrity into either true contention or needing to rebuild, based on whether or not we choose (and are able) to go for it and what could be Ohtani's last year, or incentivize him to extend, or are unable to, and lose him to free agency/trade

21 minutes ago, mmc said:

Sad to say but you are right very few asse,  none will bring back anything.

Every year we are consumed with the discussion of whether the Angels should be buyers or sellers.

To me. . .
“Buyers” are teams that are going for it this year and are willing to give up good minor leaguers in exchange for improving their chances this year.

”Sellers” are teams out of it this year that have some good to premium players (often with expiring or close to expiring contracts) that are trying to acquire prospects.

The problem with these two categories is it ignores a third category.

There are decent teams where the good to premium players they have are part of the near future plan.  Sometimes these teams are not really completely out of the race.  You don’t want to move these players because then you just have more holes to fill and there isn’t really a good reason to give up on what is left of this race this year.

I know sometimes people bemoan being stuck in between.  But I don’t really look at it that way.  Many of these teams in this category are closer to winning than the teams selling.  It isn’t automatically a bad place to be.

Can it be frustrating?  Of course.

The Angels, to me anyway, are not going to be buyers or sellers the way most people throw around those words.  They will be active looking for transactions that can help the team, but for a period of time longer than the remainder of this year.

We will even see many reporters saying a team is waiting to decide if they are going to be buyers or sellers (and this could be true), but I think many times these teams are just working hard to find transactions that help them both this year and beyond.

Impatience and frustration in fans drive them to demand stuff like, “If we are not a great bet to make the postseason, then we need to be sellers and pursue a full rebuild.”

The Angels are not going to he “buyers” in chasing a premium player with an expiring contract in exchange for good prospects.

The Angels are not going to be “sellers” trading any premium players.

And the Angels are not going to pursue a rebuild right now.

They are just going to be looking for ways to make the team better overall this year and beyond.  That is harder to do, so maybe no deals happen.

But that doesn’t mean they are not trying to improve the team and it doesn’t mean they can’t decide between being buyers or sellers.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Lorenzen hasn’t sustained his good start so I’m not sure he would bring back a lot….He might have more value as a reliever than starter…..Syndegaard’s contract would limit his value but we might get a good prospect if we eat some of his money….Without the money considerations, Syndegaard has more value than Lorenzen…Loup has 2 years remaining on his deal so he would be hard to move….

I think Lorenzen is a work in progress and I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels tried to resign him.  I think they want to see this through and see if he can be a viable piece, moving forward.  He also wants to be an Angel for whatever that's worth.

Edited by True Grich