• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Triangle of Sadness

The themes are strong in this one. Told in three distinct chapters, TOS is about currency, its about class, and it's about their effect on our humanity. I think the less you know about the plot the better, so Ill just say the final few shots are probably something to marinate on when we ponder on what the world we want to live in looks like.

I actually think the first chapter, which essentially just a fight between a boyfriend and his girlfriend over who should pay for dinner, was the most interesting. It's incredible just how much depth can be put in a scene like this. Why is it that the man is expected to pay, and what does that mean in a world where the woman makes more money? When we decide how to handle the bill what are we really saying about ourselves and where we place value in a relationship? Keep the transactional nature of their arrangement in mind when contrasting it with the relationship at the end of the film. Is the man still paying for dinner even if he's now the one being objectified? Much to consider...

Definitely one of the better best picture nominees from last year.

4 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

One Month in Summer - a dramatisation of the events leading up to the first world war.

This is very well made and very informative. A must see for anyone interested in how major conflicts begin, or in that particular time in history. Well worth your time.

th-1349407412.jpg

Thanks for this suggestion. I’ll add it once I find it. 

3 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I've been looking for it. Not on Max or Apple or Netflix so it appears to only be available on BBC

2 hours ago, Tank said:

thanks. i hadn't checked apple yet.

@WicketMaiden

You can access BBC iPlayer if you have a VPN. Or, you can find that show here: https://www.dailymotion.com/search/37 one month in Summer/videos

On 5/26/2023 at 9:17 PM, WicketMaiden said:

Alone: Australia

Same format at the US version but the contestants don't seem anywhere near the same skill-level. I'm 4 episodes in and no-one is shelter-building or displaying anything other than the most basic fishing or hunting skills. It's like a parody of Aussie culture at some times and then a therapy session at others, so it's a curious watch with at least a hint of Schadenfreude seeing what seem like amateur survivalists make some pretty basic errors. If you like Alone, it's worth a look for the comparison. Will add more when I've watched the whole season.

Well, it didn't get much better. They had an advantage over the US series with the climate and didn't face the challenges cold weather and extreme weather events pose, so it was a far easier challenge overall, and spent a lot of time wallowing in the misery stories of some of the people there. Not really the sort of content you watch Alone for.

I thought there was one guy who had some serious crafting and survival skills and thought he was head and shoulders the best candidate. But in the end the competition was won far more by luck rather than skill. Overall, a very poor imitation that could have been edited down to 3 episodes.

7 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Are DVD's still a thing? I honestly can't remember the last time I bought one, or even used one.

They come in handy when you want to watch something that isn't available on a streaming service.

Alone: Season 10

Now this is more like it. I'm only one episode in but there are some serious players in this season. No gimmicks this year, just a great new location (Saskatchewan) and the standard rules, but from what I've seen so far the overall quality of the contestants is up on the last couple of years. A promising beginning.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:05 PM, gotbeer said:

So anyone have any recommendations on good shows to watch on Peacock?  Besides Yellowstone, which is fantastic.  I'm just browsing the rest of the wares, and I'm not finding much at all.

Welcome to the whole Plus Streaming services swindle. Promise content, put in a bunch of third rate filler. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Welcome to the whole Plus Streaming services swindle. Promise content, put in a bunch of third rate filler. 

Yeah, luckily this was just a 3 month trial.  And the only reason I activated it was so that I could watch the US Open when it wasn't on TV.  I would have thought a network like NBC would have more.  But so far, after Yellowstone is over, really no reason to keep it going.