• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, it's always fun to watch shows/movies that film on location as kind of a timecapsule of that time for an area like Los Angeles.  Films that stick out in my mind.  Terminator and Falling Down.  

I would highly recommend the doc 'Los Angeles Plays Itself' - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379357/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I think I saw it years ago on netflix, but it's a great look at the history of Los Angeles as it has been portrayed in movies.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, Tank said:

Started watching Catch-22 on Hulu last night. I read the book back in the 80s and don’t remember a lot about it so this a refresher. It’s entertaining and I’m glad to have found it.

For no particular reason the wife and I started watching Manhunt: Deadly Games on Netflix. I was intrigued because it starts off focusing on the Atlanta Olympic park bombing in 1996. It’s connected to a secondary event that’s really interesting. I don’t know how accurate and true to details it is, but the fbi looks like complete blowhards. I actually watched part of this series on a Saturday night a few weeks ago, which is surprising given the amount of swearing they use. It’s a good story. There’s an ATF guy in it that I really like.

Catch-22 is my favorite book ever. I just love what it does to one’s mind. It has a lasting effect on logical processes, which is one heck of an accomplishment in my opinion, and something really unique to Heller’s books in general. That said, it’s a really really hard thing to adapt to the screen, and I feel like the old movie did a pretty bad job with it. The series did a better job, but it still just doesn’t do the book justice.

18 hours ago, Don said:

Catch-22 is my favorite book ever. I just love what it does to one’s mind. It has a lasting effect on logical processes, which is one heck of an accomplishment in my opinion, and something really unique to Heller’s books in general. That said, it’s a really really hard thing to adapt to the screen, and I feel like the old movie did a pretty bad job with it. The series did a better job, but it still just doesn’t do the book justice.

I saw the movie first, then read the book.  I enjoyed them both, but if I had read the book first I could see being a little disappointed in the movie.  

I also saw M*A*S*H in the Theater before reading the book.  I think that is just a better sequence, given a choice.

finished watching catch-22 last night. enjoyed it and recommend it. had forgotten about major major and milo, and enjoyed them both very much. 

finished watching manhunt this morning.  because it's a true story, i knew what happened to richard jewell. the way he was treated by the atlanta constitution journal is shameful. they owe him so much but refuse to admit they did anything wrong.

we also finished S2 of broadchurch this afternoon (have i mentioned how much i enjoy being on christmas break?). what powerful show, and so glad i started watching it. started S3 and expect it'll be just as good. i expect we'll see joe again down the road.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

finished watching catch-22 last night. enjoyed it and recommend it. had forgotten about major major and milo, and enjoyed them both very much. 

finished watching manhunt this morning.  because it's a true story, i knew what happened to richard jewell. the way he was treated by the atlanta constitution journal is shameful. they owe him so much but refuse to admit they did anything wrong.

we also finished S2 of broadchurch this afternoon (have i mentioned how much i enjoy being on christmas break?). what powerful show, and so glad i started watching it. started S3 and expect it'll be just as good. i expect we'll see joe again down the road.

Broadchurch is a great watch.

Really enjoyed that show.

I dozed off while my friend watched three episodes of The Flight Attendant (I think that's the name). I heard really good things from people I respect their input. Looks very promising for their hype in recommending it of what I saw in the first episode. 

Started watching the new Andrew Schulz Netflix special. Heard good things and he's doing his press run on podcasts for it. Saw two episodes and was surprised and excited it's basically the format of the Youtube clips he has done and I have posted here on the site. So far, so good.

3 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Anyone watch the Queen's Gambit? Probably going to start this week; heard nothing but great things about it.

Finishing Netflix true crime documentary The Ripper and eagerly anticipating there Richard Ramirez documentary dropping next month. 

I watched it. It’s interesting but the main character is a bit frustrating at times you don’t want her to be. She’s definitely a sympathetic character.

we're halfway through S3 of Broadchurch. It's been fantastic. Sorry to see there's only three seasons.

Spoiler

we watched about 5 or 6 episodes today. we stopped at the end of the episode where mark appears to have jumped off the cliff to the water below. heart-wrenching.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

we're halfway through S3 of Broadchurch. It's been fantastic. Sorry to see there's only three seasons.

Hide contents

we watched about 5 or 6 episodes today. we stopped at the end of the episode where mark appears to have jumped off the cliff to the water below. heart-wrenching.

Extremely well written show.

David Tennant stands out among good characters.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:48 AM, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Anyone watch the Queen's Gambit? Probably going to start this week; heard nothing but great things about it.

To add on to what I said earlier about it, when the credits rolled on the last episode I checked the imdb to see if the creators were some old white dudes. No surprise they were. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there is a lack of detail that makes for an authentic story. The story touches on things like addiction, mental illness, abandonment, and coming of age as a young woman in a field dominated by older men. I never felt like there was someone in the room who had experience with these issues. If this had been a biography I'd guess it was written by the old men she beat, rather than Beth herself.  

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

To add on to what I said earlier about it, when the credits rolled on the last episode I checked the imdb to see if the creators were some old white dudes. No surprise they were. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there is a lack of detail that makes for an authentic story. The story touches on things like addiction, mental illness, abandonment, and coming of age as a young woman in a field dominated by older men. I never felt like there was someone in the room who had experience with these issues. If this had been a biography I'd guess it was written by the old men she beat, rather than Beth herself.  

HBO Max:  Falling Skies  An older series that went 5 seasons.  Overall, it was a pretty generic aliens invade the world series.  Kind of similar to V.  Overall, a pass series for most.  Only a die hard sci fi person might get something out of it.  And even then, you aren't getting much.  

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

World chess champion Gary Kasporov was one of the story advisors. Read the article. 

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/queens-gambit-garry-kasparov-interview-netflix-chess-adviser.html

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

World chess champion Gary Kasporov was one of the story advisors. Read the article. 

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/queens-gambit-garry-kasparov-interview-netflix-chess-adviser.html

I think the one thing the show did very well, was it's handling of the chess competitions themselves. They don't really focus too much on the gameplay but they do nail the spirit of the contests.