• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Have been watching a ton of movies throughout the month, having not had to work for a few weeks.

A few of the highlights:

The Man Who Whould Be King (1975) - great late era John Huston adventure movie starring Michael Caine and Sean Connery.

Lenny (1974) - great 70s Dustin Hoffman playing Lenny Bruce.

Mommy (2014) - Depressing, but great recent French canadian drama

Speed Racer (2008)- - I remember this being incredibly divisive when it came out, almost most negative, but I thought it was a great sports narrative in a unique packaging.

Red Rock West (1993) - a somewhat restrained Nic Cage in a solid neo-noir

Barfly (1987) - Mickey Rourke plays Henry Chinaski, for the Bukowski fans

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941) - I love Jean Arthur

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989) - Likely wouldn't recommend this to most, but I loved it.

Also rewatched:

The King of New York

12 Angry Men

Sullivan's Travels

Shaun of the Dead

The Nice Guys

Which are still great.

18 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

Starz has a special right now $5 a month for 3 or 6 months. Watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood again. Good flick, but I can think of at least 4 QT movies that are better.

Yeah, that was dope. I signed up in January for about $20 until June. I actually started the movie yesterday, but I get distracted way too easily or spend more time on IMDB looking up the actors....not to mention someone sent me the House Party app and ruined the rest of my night.

1 hour ago, Keener said:

Pretty close.  It would be an effective way to communicate to your students that you are working the bugs out with your Zoom interface.

funny you should mention that. we're using BigBlueButton and it's worked fine for our faculty meetings. started our online classes this morning, and the video feed suddenly froze and then just quit working. had to do my morning classes with voice only and the chat box. worked fine but hope we can get it fixed for tomorrow.

rewatched Pride of the Yankees again last night. This is the movie that made me a Lou Gehrig (and Gary Cooper) fan. Such a great movie.

last week would have been steve mcqueen's 90th bday, so TCM did a marathon of his movies. I watched The Great Escape (my high school shop teacher was actually part of that), The Sand Pebbles, and The Cincinnati Kid. All were good films and interesting to watch. @Sam Sanchez i felt kind of cultured watching the last two as I hadn't seen them before.

Finally finished Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I came in with high expectations and it wasn't bad, but didn't seem to hit the hype. And long as fuck coming in at two hours and forty-one minutes.

Probably would have disliked it, but the ending was cool.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

rewatched Pride of the Yankees again last night. This is the movie that made me a Lou Gehrig (and Gary Cooper) fan. Such a great movie.

last week would have been steve mcqueen's 90th bday, so TCM did a marathon of his movies. I watched The Great Escape (my high school shop teacher was actually part of that), The Sand Pebbles, and The Cincinnati Kid. All were good films and interesting to watch. @Sam Sanchez i felt kind of cultured watching the last two as I hadn't seen them before.

I still have never seen The Sand Pebbles or Cincinnati Kid myself.

As TCM goes, they cancelled their film festival, and instead are doing an "Home Edition" film festival between April 16th and 19th. The lineup is pretty solid: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/special-home-edition/

Some stuff I'd recommend though a lot are obvious:

4/16 - Metropolis (1927) - if you're into classic silent sci-fi

4/17 - The Seventh Seal (1957) - the classic Bergman. RIP Max Von Sydow

4/17 - A Hard Day's Night (1964) - for Beatles fans

4/17 - North by Northwest (1959) - classic Hitchcock

4/17 - Some Like It Hot (1959) - classic Wilder

4/17 - Deliverance (1972) - Weeeeeeee!

4/17 - Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - great late era Universal monster movie

4/18 - Safety Last (1923) - Classic Harold Lloyd silent comedy. Up there with Keaton and Chaplin's best

4/18 - They Live By Night (1949) - great film noir. Bonnie & Clyde type of story.

4/18 - Network (1976) - classic Sidney Lumet

4/18 - Night and the City (1950) - Among my favorite film noirs. Richard Widmark is always great.

4/18 - The Lady Vanishes (1938) - Early Hitchcock, still great.

4/18 - The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - Among the greatest silent films of all-time

4/19 - The Set-Up (1949) - Also among my favorite film noirs and likely my favorite boxing related movie.

4/19 - Red Headed Woman (1932) - fun pre-code movie

4/19 - Singin' in the Rain (1952) - joyous fun

4/19 - Baby Face (1933) - pre-code Barbara Stanwyck

2 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

I still have never seen The Sand Pebbles or Cincinnati Kid myself.

As TCM goes, they cancelled their film festival, and instead are doing an "Home Edition" film festival between April 16th and 19th. The lineup is pretty solid: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/special-home-edition/

Some stuff I'd recommend though a lot are obvious:

4/16 - Metropolis (1927) - if you're into classic silent sci-fi

4/17 - The Seventh Seal (1957) - the classic Bergman. RIP Max Von Sydow

4/17 - A Hard Day's Night (1964) - for Beatles fans

4/17 - North by Northwest (1959) - classic Hitchcock

4/17 - Some Like It Hot (1959) - classic Wilder

4/17 - Deliverance (1972) - Weeeeeeee!

4/17 - Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - great late era Universal monster movie

4/18 - Safety Last (1923) - Classic Harold Lloyd silent comedy. Up there with Keaton and Chaplin's best

4/18 - They Live By Night (1949) - great film noir. Bonnie & Clyde type of story.

4/18 - Network (1976) - classic Sidney Lumet

4/18 - Night and the City (1950) - Among my favorite film noirs. Richard Widmark is always great.

4/18 - The Lady Vanishes (1938) - Early Hitchcock, still great.

4/18 - The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - Among the greatest silent films of all-time

4/19 - The Set-Up (1949) - Also among my favorite film noirs and likely my favorite boxing related movie.

4/19 - Red Headed Woman (1932) - fun pre-code movie

4/19 - Singin' in the Rain (1952) - joyous fun

4/19 - Baby Face (1933) - pre-code Barbara Stanwyck

This is pretty cool. At one of my watering holes across from my office there is one tv dedicated to TCM in the corner as an elderly lady comes in twice a day and orders the same drinks and just watches whatever is on. Her and I have watched a bunch and talk about these.

North By Northwest is still one of my favorite flicks that I'm glad I dropped the remote for.

Would have liked to see Chinatown on here, but it's still a solid list.

18 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

Barfly (1987) - Mickey Rourke plays Henry Chinaski, for the Bukowski fans

My favorite quote:

"I hate the police, don't you?"

"I don't know, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.”

6 minutes ago, Sam Sanchez said:

I thought it was “I hate people”. Which I actually like even more.

Could it have been both? He did say people once, but for some reason I vaguely recall him saying police, too.

I may be completely wrong. 

Netflix:  Happy! Season 2  One of those weird comedies, with lot's of violence, and full of crude jokes.  This is only for the truly demented, so perfect for me.  Only good for those that think an imaginary flying horse unicorn and a former cop/drunk/likes to kill people are a good fit.