• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

That familiar time of year....

...when I start realizing that the team isn't a contender, and the main joy I get is watching the stats and the occasional fun game. 

Or not. This team is too talented not to turn things around and make things interesting. They're probably not going to challenge Houston for the division, but they should still contend for a wildcard.

As the cliche goes, the season is a marathon, not a sprint. They started really hot (remember 24-13?) and are in a funk (3-9). The next couple weeks are going to be rough, and there's a legitimate chance they fall back to .500.

But...they'll turn things around.

Right?

Right?!

I'm thinking now is the time for Maddon's closed door meeting, even if it is just kumbaya, massage trains, and chakra alignments. They just got swept - in four games - at home. Ouch. If that isn't a wake-up call, I don't know what it is. Minasian must be breaking a bit of sweat, waiting for the call from Arte..."Perry, what's with your bullpen I spent a year's worth of yacht fuel on?!"

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

...when I start realizing that the team isn't a contender, and the main joy I get is watching the stats and the occasional fun game. 

Or not. This team is too talented not to turn things around and make things interesting. They're probably not going to challenge Houston for the division, but they should still contend for a wildcard.

As the cliche goes, the season is a marathon, not a sprint. They started really hot (remember 24-13?) and are in a funk (3-9). The next couple weeks are going to be rough, and there's a legitimate chance they fall back to .500.

Right?

Right?!

They remind me of the mid 90's Seattle Mariners. There is enough talent to get to the ALCS, or implode, crash and burn due to a lack of quality depth.

I was listening to the game on the radio and I lost count of how many times Langston said "They must win this game." when they were ahead, and "They must figure out a way to win this game." when they were behind.

Yeah, a long season, but momentum can grow or atrophy after a big series. 

Reality check against good teams during this part of the schedule. Confidence can really be shaken if they don't turn it around against some of the best teams. 

Lack of bullpen depth has been rudely exposed. No matter how many they score, they find away to allow just one more against. 

And it would be a novelty to score other ways than via homers. 

I’m not really that worried about it yet.  They’re having a bad run.  Every team has bad runs.  Literally every team.  It’s not like they’re not competitive they’re just losing games - several of which they should have won.  They’ll get it figured out.  Maybe the road trip will be a good re set for them. Over the years watching baseball I’ve seen that kind of thing happen.  I’m hoping that’s the case here.  Long road trip.  Tough teams to buckle down against.  We’ll see what they’re actually made of.  And the bullpen has guys that can get outs.  Hopefully they get it figured out. 

I don’t know that we need these pulse check threads that end up just being really annoying.  I imagine that this will happen shortly with this one.  Anyway, I still respect you a lot AJ. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not really that worried about it yet.  They’re having a bad run.  Every team has bad runs.  Literally every team.  It’s not like they’re not competitive they’re just losing games - several of which they should have won.  They’ll get it figured out.  Maybe the road trip will be a good re set for them. Over the years watching baseball I’ve seen that kind of thing happen.  I’m hoping that’s the case here.  Long road trip.  Tough teams to buckle down against.  We’ll see what they’re actually made of.  And the bullpen has guys that can get outs.  Hopefully they get it figured out. 

I don’t know that we need these pulse check threads that end up just being really annoying.  I imagine that this will happen shortly with this one.  Anyway, I still respect you a lot AJ. 

Yeah, bad teams tend to lose a lot of non-competitive games. This team is losing a lot of competitive, winnable games, which is more a sign that the team is not great but some where between decent and good. Previous Angel teams would’ve had the same outcome but scored 5 or 6 less times.

The Blue Jays (27-20) lost 5 straight a couple weeks ago, and are 10-4 since. The Dodgers lost 4 in a row, and are 13-2 since. The Giants have lost 5 in a row twice in May and are still hanging in there.

Worst losing streaks and 10+ game spans of last year's playoff teams:

Rays: 7 | 4-12 over one span, 3-8 in another

Red Sox: 5 | 2-10

Yankees: 7 | 2-8, 3-10, 1-7, 2-11

White Sox: 5 | 3-8

Astros: 6 | 1-9

Braves: 4 | 4-8

Brewers: 5 (three times) | 4-12

Cardinals: 6 | 6-18

Giants: 4 | 4-6

Dodgers: 4 | 2-10

The Yankees were super streaky, but still managed to win 92 games. The Braves were less streaky, never losing more than 4 in a row or having too bad of a streak, but only won 88 games (but the WS). The Cardinals had an awful period in June, as you can see, but then had a 17-game winning streak in September to sneak into the postseason. The Giants won 107 games and barely slumped.

So far the Angels: 5 | 3-9

Anyhow, the point is that most playoff-bound teams go through bad spells, some really bad. The Cardinals are an extreme version: They were 36-40 on June 25, and didn't get back over .500 until August 11, and still managed to win 92 games and reach the postseason.

It’s hard to say if they’re contenders. I’m not ready to give up yet but this is a frustrating run we’re on. I’m 50 and I’ve seen a lot of these Angels teams fade and I still think this team feels a little different. It seems if the offense shows up we can’t stop the other team at all. A few games the bullpen has been bad but overall we haven’t been able to score in those games and we lost 3-4. No excuse for putting up 10 and losing though. Holy cow. 

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Blue Jays (27-20) lost 5 straight a couple weeks ago, and are 10-4 since. The Dodgers lost 4 in a row, and are 13-2 since. The Giants have lost 5 in a row twice in May and are still hanging in there.

Worst losing streaks and 10+ game spans of last year's playoff teams:

Rays: 7 | 4-12 over one span, 3-8 in another

Red Sox: 5 | 2-10

Yankees: 7 | 2-8, 3-10, 1-7, 2-11

White Sox: 5 | 3-8

Astros: 6 | 1-9

Braves: 4 | 4-8

Brewers: 5 (three times) | 4-12

Cardinals: 6 | 6-18

Giants: 4 | 4-6

Dodgers: 4 | 2-10

The Yankees were super streaky, but still managed to win 92 games. The Braves were less streaky, never losing more than 4 in a row or having too bad of a streak, but only won 88 games (but the WS). The Cardinals had an awful period in June, as you can see, but then had a 17-game winning streak in September to sneak into the postseason. The Giants won 107 games and barely slumped.

So far the Angels: 5 | 3-9

Anyhow, the point is that most playoff-bound teams go through bad spells, some really bad. The Cardinals are an extreme version: They were 36-40 on June 25, and didn't get back over .500 until August 11, and still managed to win 92 games and reach the postseason.

I get that.   The Halos case is different, in that those teams aren’t on an extended streak of losing seasons, two of which started off well enough (2018, 13-3 and 2019, 54-49) and then totally tanked.

How many more seasons are they going to tease their fans?   Can’t blame Halos fans at all for being skeptical.

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get that.   The Halos case is different, in that those teams aren’t on an extended streak of losing seasons, two of which started off well enough (2018, 13-3 and 2019, 54-49) and then totally tanked.

How many more seasons are they going to tease their fans?   Can’t blame Halos fans at all for being skeptical.

Yeah, I get it. But just trying to have a little perspective. There's a spectrum of "failo" to "homer," and most of us trend one way or the other. I think a middle perspective is that this is still a good team. It is the most talented team they've had in years. A couple weeks ago we were spoiled by that 24-13 record, which is a 105-win pace. While this team is good, it isn't that good.

So now they're struggling a bit, coming down to earth. They'll turn it around, and be competitive in September. Probably not for the division, but I think they have a legit shot at the wildcard, despite the last five (or eleven) games. 

I'm moreso annoyed by the stretch of losses to the Rangers and O's than close games against an actual good team. The bullpen issue is confounding though. I was a big fan of the offseason signings and thought they had finally moved past their "clean peanut" approach, and yet it's still been a failure. No idea what's going on there. 

On 5/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Right?

Right?!

We haven't been in this situation in years at this time of the year...

6 minutes ago, angelsfaninaz said:

Yankees are going to push our poop back in during this series. I am deeply concerned. Good thing we got Philly next. Can't wait to see Bryce Harper and his tantrums. 

How much further up can the poop go? Toronto sure shoved it in a ways