• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon still waiting for full return of lower body strength

Just now, IheartLA said:

no prob, I didn't even mention you in my original post I was just stating that as an Angel's fan its' disheartening to see another big signing end up a bust.

And it’s way too early to call him a bust considering he was great in year one, injured in year two, and it was 15 games into year three. 

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Rendon is hitting .198 with an OPS of .662. When are we allowed to start being worried?

Would say that this should continue to serve as an excellent reminder of the major downsides of mega contracts and star free agents.

Pujols, Hamilton, Upton (trade and subsequent extension), Rendon.. these deals rarely pan out for any team.

I am all for re-signing our own stars, will full acknowledgement that the latter years will likely be down years, but I hope we stop attempting to sign free agents to long term deals.

Trout is on a mega deal, and hopefully Ohtani will join him.  The rest, IMO, should be a mix of home grown talent and high AAV / short-term deals (a la the Syndergaard signing).  

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Would say that this should continue to serve as an excellent reminder of the major downsides of mega contracts and star free agents.

Pujols, Hamilton, Upton (trade and subsequent extension), Rendon.. these deals rarely pan out for any team.

I am all for re-signing our own stars, will full acknowledgement that the latter years will likely be down years, but I hope we stop attempting to sign free agents to long term deals.

Trout is on a mega deal, and hopefully Ohtani will join him.  The rest, IMO, should be a mix of home grown talent and high AAV / short-term deals (a la the Syndergaard signing).  

Eh, I'm not in the never sign big money FA's camp. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Arenado is on a similar deal, he's mashing. Machado, Harper. Spending big money on star players is what most teams are ok with doing, they just don't want to spend on average talent like pre2014. Superstars should still get paid. That's what's frustrating, Rendon had been Mr. Consistent 6+ WAR every year and now he's basically the Mexican American Pujols. What shit luck..

1 hour ago, IheartLA said:

Rendon is hitting .198 with an OPS of .662. When are we allowed to start being worried?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/anthony-rendon-543685?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

When his chase rate spikes and his exit velocities drop below 55%. 

His BaBip was at .215 last time I looked compared to the league average of .293.  Nobody likes to hear its just bad luck but right now that's likely all it is.  

1 hour ago, IheartLA said:

Eh, I'm not in the never sign big money FA's camp. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Arenado is on a similar deal, he's mashing. Machado, Harper. Spending big money on star players is what most teams are ok with doing, they just don't want to spend on average talent like pre2014. Superstars should still get paid. That's what's frustrating, Rendon had been Mr. Consistent 6+ WAR every year and now he's basically the Mexican American Pujols. What shit luck..

A key aspect of that too though is age.  Machado and Harper are still 29.  In his age 29 season, Rendon was still a stud.  Players fall apart at all sorts of ages, but obviously the chances are much higher on the wrong side of 30, which Rendon is now.

Fortunately, this was not a 10 year deal.