• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon still waiting for full return of lower body strength

ANAHEIM — Anthony Rendon agreed with Joe Maddon’s assessment of the issue with his throwing.

The Angels third baseman conceded on Sunday morning that the recovery from last year’s hip surgery has left him still searching for the lower body strength necessary to be able to throw normally. Rendon, 31, said before the start of spring training that he felt like “night and day” after having the surgery.

“You need your legs to throw,” said Rendon, whose throwing error on Saturday night led to three unearned runs that cost the Angels the game. “You lead with your legs and your arm comes along for the ride. If I have no lower half, I’m not going to be able to get through the ball. It’s going to tail and it puts more stress on my arm.”

Rendon, who had hip surgery last August, said he’s still expecting to continue gaining strength to resolve the issue.

“I hope so,” he said. “That’s the plan.”

Rendon has made four errors already this season, including two throwing errors. He’s also made a couple spectacular plays, including one just moments before the bad throw on Saturday.

It’s also been a rough start for Rendon at the plate. He was hitting .205 with two homers and a .678 OPS heading into Sunday’s game.

Rendon, who is in the third year of a seven-year, $235-million deal, didn’t use any physical issues to explain his offensive production, though.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “I’m getting better every day, just kind of working on it, trying to get back into a routine and get back to feeling normal… Obviously no one likes not doing well, but it’s a long season. I’ve gone through this patch before. It’s stressful at times, but keep getting in the cage, keep continuing to go out there, get your work in and stay in the trenches. No one likes it, but you gotta deal with it.”

Despite the issues, Rendon said he wants to play. Last week Maddon suggested that giving him the day off about 20 percent of the time, at least initially, was a reasonable approach.

Rendon’s reaction to that?

“He’s the manager,” he said. “I’m not going to say anything to you. If I feel like I can be out there, I want to be out there. If I feel like I need a day, then I’ll have a day.”

Rendon said the “150- to 155-game range is my goal every year.” So far he’s started 13 of 16 games, with two days off to rest and one with an illness.

NOTES

Outfielder Brandon Marsh was scratched from the lineup because of a stomach bug. He’s the third player to have a stomach issue in the first month of the season. Head athletic trainer Mike Frostad said Marsh had similar symptoms as Mike Trout and Rendon, but he didn’t know if it was “the same bug.” Marsh is day to day. …

Infielder David Fletcher (hip) was scheduled to play nine innings at Triple-A Salt Lake on Sunday, the third game of his rehab assignment. Frostad said that Fletcher has cleared all the medical department’s hurdles, so his return was purely a baseball decision. Andrew Velazquez has endeared himself to the coaching staff with his defense at shortstop, although he hasn’t hit well. If Fletcher and Velazquez are on the field together, Fletcher would play second. The Angels also have Tyler Wade, Jack Mayfield and Matt Duffy vying for playing time in the middle infield, although Duffy now seems to be more of a platoon first baseman. …

Left-hander José Quijada (oblique) still has not started throwing. Frostad said that it could be “another few weeks to a month” before he returns. “It all depends on how he comes back once he starts throwing.”

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Michael Lorenzen, 1-1, 4.82) vs. Guardians (RHP Shane Bieber, 1-0, 2.25), Monday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

-We went through 9 years of this with Pujols. He was good from Jun-Aug 2012. He was horrible in 2013 because of injuries. They said after surgery, he'd be back to the old Albert in 2014. He was for the first month of the season, and then sucked wind again for 8 years. We got 4 months of the player the Cardinals saw, and the rest wasn't "the old Albert", it was "Old Albert", and there was a huge difference between the two.

That just kind of goes with the territory with free agents in their 30's. I don't regret the signing, but it did kind of force both Ward and Thaiss off the position, but when you get a chance to sign someone of Rendon's calibur at age 29, you take it. 

I think he'll get better and will be solid the second half of his contract. If he were considerably older than his reported age, these leg injuries were occurring at "35", and his legs needed to be strong and sturdy enough to support a larger frame, like Albert Pujols, then yeah it's a concern. But Rendon is young enough with the right build that he should age gracefully. I don't think he'll be the MVP calibur player he was, but I think he'll be a good starting third baseman and middle of the order hitter. 

5 hours ago, TroutField said:

No doubt he was great over 190 at bats during the COVID influenced season. Since then it has been a train wreck 

Which was how many at bats?

Disagree, too. Looks fine so far this year.  A couple more miscues, but whatever.  Won't continue