• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What are the (legal) options for watching Angel games on TV this year?

Taylor

I had a long chat with DirecTV CS and they seem to think that I should be able to add out-of-market Bally's stations for 13.99/month.  The satellite DTV offers this, but the streaming DTV doesn't (yet, but they're working on it)... In theory, I should be able to get DTV 692 with that set-up in my Midwest dish service. 

22 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Great explanation other than the anti-trust exemption reference.  If the anti-trust exemption were eliminated you would still have the same exact broadcasting situation.

It’s baked in to the tv contracts now but without the exemption I’m not sure if territorial rights component would be legal.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It’s baked in to the tv contracts now but without the exemption I’m not sure if territorial rights component would be legal.

The NFL does not have an anti-trust exemption and they have territorial rights to broadcasts.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

The NFL does not have an anti-trust exemption and they have territorial rights to broadcasts.

I’m not familiar with the NFL deal, it just seems anti-competitive to sell off rights to broadcast in areas to companies that have no intention of broadcasting in those areas.

17 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I’m not familiar with the NFL deal, it just seems anti-competitive to sell off rights to broadcast in areas to companies that have no intention of broadcasting in those areas.

I am not really sure what you are saying, but exclusivity in distribution rights geographically (or other ways) has nothing to do with “anti-trust.”

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not really sure what you are saying, but exclusivity in distribution rights geographically (or other ways) has nothing to do with “anti-trust.”

I'm referring to things like Las Vegas being claimed as territory for something like 6 teams, thus leading to up to 20% of games being blacked out there despite most of them being unavailable on cable. Or the Blue Jays having all of Canada be considered their territory and thus Rodgers owning exclusive rights to Toronto games in all of Canada. You're probably right that this is all legal even without their exemption, but it seems anti-competitive.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

T-Mobile subscribers don't forget to activate your free subscription to MLB.TV starting today.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

I have direct tv, and a couple of days ago I upgraded to their choice plan ( their 2nd lowest plan) so I could get Bally. Cost was $49 a month increase. Considering I have 4 tv’s in the house, that wasn’t too bad.

lol @ free 

Im still sticking w it for now, but....

Im seriously considering just canceling all together. I literally only keep cable for Angel games.... and I watch maybe 5 a year at home.... its honestly not even close to worth it.

I can just as easily listen on the radio live, and watch the highlights on mlb later....

Even w the cheapest directv package, Im paying like 1000 dollars a year, to watch 10-15 hours of baseball.... 

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im still sticking w it for now, but....

Im seriously considering just canceling all together. I literally only keep cable for Angel games.... and I watch maybe 5 a year at home.... its honestly not even close to worth it.

I can just as easily listen on the radio live, and watch the highlights on mlb later....

Even w the cheapest directv package, Im paying like 1000 dollars a year, to watch 10-15 hours of baseball.... 

The Simpsons Reaction GIF

• 2 weeks later...

How do I watch Angels games on my LG? I’m surprised there isn’t a DirectTV/ATT streaming option. So now I’m tempted to go back to cable.

I have the worthless MLB subscription, but I can’t use a VPN on my network or my company will block my work machine/devices.

I wish Bally would quit being weirdos and get on YouTube TV. The UI/UX for YouTube TV and overall user experience is excellent. I’ve unsubscribed since the switch to Bally’s, but I’d re-subscribe if Bally’s would get their act together

On a side note, I always find it baffling how a giant like AT&T can’t get it right with streaming. Their mobile app is embarrassing bad.

Alright I’m giving Spectrum TV a whirl. The iOS app + AirPlay work great, and the app is much better than when I last used this service.

it seems leagues better then DirecTV Now or whether hell it’s called.

edit: picture quality is kind of shit

Edited by failos

1 hour ago, failos said:

How do I watch Angels games on my LG? I’m surprised there isn’t a DirectTV/ATT streaming option. So now I’m tempted to go back to cable.

I have the worthless MLB subscription, but I can’t use a VPN on my network or my company will block my work machine/devices.

I wish Bally would quit being weirdos and get on YouTube TV. The UI/UX for YouTube TV and overall user experience is excellent. I’ve unsubscribed since the switch to Bally’s, but I’d re-subscribe if Bally’s would get their act together

On a side note, I always find it baffling how a giant like AT&T can’t get it right with streaming. Their mobile app is embarrassing bad.

Why not just set up the TV to use the VPN and the work machine to not use the VPN?

31 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Why not just set up the TV to use the VPN and the work machine to not use the VPN?

Hmm good point, I assumed VPNs were configured on your router to cast something to the TV—I’ll probably end up doing that then. I guess I was mostly avoiding having to cast my stream to the TV. I guess it sucks MLB doesn’t have an LG app

Edited by failos

1 hour ago, failos said:

Ah that's right. When we bought our new LG TV last year, we had to get a Fire Stick just to use AT&T TV so I could watch Angel games.