• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Griffin Canning injury has Angels still seeking pitching

TEMPE, Ariz. — On the day that one of the Angels’ candidates for the starting rotation revealed that he’s been hurt for about a month, the general manager reiterated that his lack of action in acquiring more pitching is not for lack of effort.

Griffin Canning, who was in the mix for the sixth spot in the Angels’ rotation, said he suffered a setback in his recovery from a back injury and will not be ready for Opening Day.

Canning missed most of last season with the injury, but said he was back to 100% in February before the setback.

“I just want to be out there playing baseball again,” said Canning, who added that he pitched with some discomfort in his back even before the injury was diagnosed in the summer. “But I understand it’s not always perfect trajectory coming back from an injury. I just have to handle it and be good to go.”

Canning said he’s hoping to resume throwing later in the week, but he won’t be on a mound for four weeks, Angels general manager Perry Minasian said.

Canning’s absence leaves Jaime Barria and Reid Detmers as the top two candidates for the sixth spot in the rotation.

The top five pitchers, at the moment, are Shohei Ohtani, Noah Syndergaard, Patrick Sandoval, José Suarez and Michael Lorenzen.

It’s a group Minasian is still trying to upgrade. He said, as he often does, that he will always be on the look out for more pitching.

Since the lockout ended, free-agent starters Carlos Rodon, Clayton Kershaw and Yusei Kikuchi have come off the board. The A’s traded Chris Bassitt and the Reds traded Sonny Gray.

Minasian said he’s been busy working the phones in the six days since the lockout ended, even though he hasn’t come up with anyone for the pitching staff.

Asked if he still thinks a move is possible, Minasian said: “We’ll find out. You don’t know. It’s hard, right? It’s hard to predict. That’s a lot of conversations, a lot of dialogue. Sometimes you feel like it’s going the right way, and sometimes you feel like we’re gonna make a make a U-turn.”

Minasian said he appreciated the fans’ frustration.

“I’m a big sports fan, so I totally understand,” he said. “I love basketball. I love football. I have my teams. I understand when you’re watching and you’re hoping and expecting things to happen quick. All I can say is I feel like we’ve improved from where we were last year.”

Minasian refused to give any details on the Angels’ spending parameters, or whether they had changed in light of the new collective bargaining agreement. The competitive balance tax threshold rose from $210 million to $230 million.

“This is an ownership group that is committed to winning,” Minasian said. “I have not been told no on anything.”

NOTES

The Angels have decided to make Benji Gil their first-base coach, switching him from quality assurance coach. Minasian did not address the previous reports that they were close to hiring former outfielder Adam Eaton for the job. Minasian said they are still trying to figure out who will coach the outfielders. …

Kurt Suzuki passed his physical and participated in workouts Wednesday. “I’m extremely excited to have him back,” Minasian said. “He’s one of those guys that that changes teams. I know it’s tough to see that from the outside. But I think if you asked every single guy in that locker room there, they’re beyond excited to have him back.” Minasian pointed out that the Angels were 33-30 when Suzuki started at catcher. They were 44-55 with all other catchers. …

Closer Raisel Iglesias reported to camp after missing the first two days for personal reasons. The entire roster has now reported to camp. …

Infielder Tyler Wade was given No. 14, making him the first player to wear the number since Mike Scioscia. Wade, who had worn 14 with the New York Yankees, said he was told “the team wants it back in the rotation.” He said he would have picked another number if he’d been asked.

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Minasian said they are still trying to figure out who will coach the outfielders. …

i'm by no means a baseball expert, but this seems like one of those things you'd want to have settled before training camp opens and the players start practicing.

16 hours ago, Tank said:

i'm by no means a baseball expert, but this seems like one of those things you'd want to have settled before training camp opens and the players start practicing.

I'm with you.  Even worse, this is a front office that talked up the importance of defense when they came in two years ago.  It's reminiscent of Dipoto talking up the importance of controlling the zone and then targeting SP/RPs who across the board had awful walk rates.

Being able to spot the problem is great but then failing miserably to address the problem isn't..  That's the sort of shit that will actually lose me.  Bad FA decisions can happen.  Bad trades can happen...   This kind of shit, it's just poor management.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm with you.  Even worse, this is a front office that talked up the importance of defense when they came in two years ago.  It's reminiscent of Dipoto talking up the importance of controlling the zone and then targeting SP/RPs who across the board had awful walk rates.

Being able to spot the problem is great but then failing miserably to address the problem isn't..  That's the sort of shit that will actually lose me.  Bad FA decisions can happen.  Bad trades can happen...   This kind of shit, it's just poor management.

kurt suzuki GIF by MLB

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m sure there’s someone of the staff or minors staff that can assist the outfielders in the time being. I think Ray Montgomery was an outfielder.

Yeah, he was.

Also, from MLB.com: "The Angels are exploring who will be their primary outfield coach this season or if they’ll use a combination of Ray Montgomery and Gil."

That seems to imply that Montgomery/Gil might be handling those duties currently. Plus I'm sure Damon Mashore (outfield coordinator) is around ST.

But I do agree that ideally, you should have an OF coach ahead of ST. But I'll give them a pass because I think their plans were affected by the lockout and Eaton's weird status.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, AngelsWin.com said:

TEMPE, Ariz. — On the day that one of the Angels’ candidates for the starting rotation revealed that he’s been hurt for about a month, the general manager reiterated that his lack of action in acquiring more pitching is not for lack of effort.

Griffin Canning, who was in the mix for the sixth spot in the Angels’ rotation, said he suffered a setback in his recovery from a back injury and will not be ready for Opening Day.

Canning missed most of last season with the injury, but said he was back to 100% in February before the setback.

“I just want to be out there playing baseball again,” said Canning, who added that he pitched with some discomfort in his back even before the injury was diagnosed in the summer. “But I understand it’s not always perfect trajectory coming back from an injury. I just have to handle it and be good to go.”

Canning said he’s hoping to resume throwing later in the week, but he won’t be on a mound for four weeks, Angels general manager Perry Minasian said.

Canning’s absence leaves Jaime Barria and Reid Detmers as the top two candidates for the sixth spot in the rotation.

The top five pitchers, at the moment, are Shohei Ohtani, Noah Syndergaard, Patrick Sandoval, José Suarez and Michael Lorenzen.

It’s a group Minasian is still trying to upgrade. He said, as he often does, that he will always be on the look out for more pitching.

Since the lockout ended, free-agent starters Carlos Rodon, Clayton Kershaw and Yusei Kikuchi have come off the board. The A’s traded Chris Bassitt and the Reds traded Sonny Gray.

Minasian said he’s been busy working the phones in the six days since the lockout ended, even though he hasn’t come up with anyone for the pitching staff.

Asked if he still thinks a move is possible, Minasian said: “We’ll find out. You don’t know. It’s hard, right? It’s hard to predict. That’s a lot of conversations, a lot of dialogue. Sometimes you feel like it’s going the right way, and sometimes you feel like we’re gonna make a make a U-turn.”

Minasian said he appreciated the fans’ frustration.

“I’m a big sports fan, so I totally understand,” he said. “I love basketball. I love football. I have my teams. I understand when you’re watching and you’re hoping and expecting things to happen quick. All I can say is I feel like we’ve improved from where we were last year.”

Minasian refused to give any details on the Angels’ spending parameters, or whether they had changed in light of the new collective bargaining agreement. The competitive balance tax threshold rose from $210 million to $230 million.

“This is an ownership group that is committed to winning,” Minasian said. “I have not been told no on anything.”

NOTES

The Angels have decided to make Benji Gil their first-base coach, switching him from quality assurance coach. Minasian did not address the previous reports that they were close to hiring former outfielder Adam Eaton for the job. Minasian said they are still trying to figure out who will coach the outfielders. …

Kurt Suzuki passed his physical and participated in workouts Wednesday. “I’m extremely excited to have him back,” Minasian said. “He’s one of those guys that that changes teams. I know it’s tough to see that from the outside. But I think if you asked every single guy in that locker room there, they’re beyond excited to have him back.” Minasian pointed out that the Angels were 33-30 when Suzuki started at catcher. They were 44-55 with all other catchers. …

Related Articles

Closer Raisel Iglesias reported to camp after missing the first two days for personal reasons. The entire roster has now reported to camp. …

Infielder Tyler Wade was given No. 14, making him the first player to wear the number since Mike Scioscia. Wade, who had worn 14 with the New York Yankees, said he was told “the team wants it back in the rotation.” He said he would have picked another number if he’d been asked.

View the full article

Last bit at the end, they need to retire Scioscia's jersey. He's the best manager this team has ever had, and is deserving of a bit more respect.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Bill Rigney was best manager they ever had took a bunch of cast offs and in second year were contenders.

Jeebus dude. Bill Rigney was 625-707 and never made the playoffs. You may have an attachment to this era because you’re either old or a troll that’s pretending to be old. But Scioscia won a World Series and had a much better record. 

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Jeebus dude. Bill Rigney was 625-707 and never made the playoffs. You may have an attachment to this era because you’re either old or a troll that’s pretending to be old. But Scioscia won a World Series and had a much better record. 

Remember he took an expansion team which was suppose to win 40 games it's first  year. They won 70 and in second year were in the race against the Yankees with a bunch of cast offs. You cannot just go by records look at players Rigney had. If someone has a different opinion than you does not make them wrong. I watched teams under Rigney he turned castoffs in 62 to contenders. Go look at that roster. Look how long it took other expansion teams to be decent. Scioscia was a good manager but had good players. Rigney had a winning record in his second year dude. So for me it's Rigney in a non free agency period in baseball. Know the history of this team and game.

53 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Playoffs did not start in MLB till 1969 dude in 1961 you had to win your league to get to World Series. The regular season meant something now 12 teams make playoffs so regular season means so much less. 

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If Mike Scioscia was such a great manager why has he not be hired by another team?

“I am not going to manage anymore,” he said. “I’m excited about this opportunity. I think getting on that grind again is not something that I am going to do.”

“Doing this Olympic team is great,” Scioscia said. “I’m excited about that, but I don’t see myself in the dugout again in the Major Leagues.”

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/mike-scioscia-usa-olympic-baseball-head-coach-los-angeles-angels-la-dodgers-20210727.html

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

“I am not going to manage anymore,” he said. “I’m excited about this opportunity. I think getting on that grind again is not something that I am going to do.”

“Doing this Olympic team is great,” Scioscia said. “I’m excited about that, but I don’t see myself in the dugout again in the Major Leagues.”

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/mike-scioscia-usa-olympic-baseball-head-coach-los-angeles-angels-la-dodgers-20210727.html

So he's a quitter.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

That's poppycock