• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to Negotiate a Raise?

failos

1 minute ago, failos said:

I was promoted to Senior Software Engineer and just saw my pay bump....$8k. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed. How do I go about negotiating for more?

Get another offer. I mean, you could go the route of collecting evidence of what you should be making and why, and it's possible they'll hear you and increase your compensation somewhat; but if you want to force their hand getting another offer is the only way to go. Of course, you'll need to be willing to make the leap if they don't attempt to compromise with you at that point. 

1 minute ago, Don said:

Get another offer. I mean, you could go the route of collecting evidence of what you should be making and why, and it's possible they'll hear you and increase your compensation somewhat; but if you want to force their hand getting another offer is the only way to go. Of course, you'll need to be willing to make the leap if they don't attempt to compromise with you at that point. 

Yeah, providing the average market rate for my position was going to be my first route. I'll definitely be job hunting now even though I really like the company I work for, but if they don't meet me in the middle I'll leave or at least ask them to match my hypothetical new offer. 

Just now, failos said:

Yeah, providing the average market rate for my position was going to be my first route. I'll definitely be job hunting now even though I really like the company I work for, but if they don't meet me in the middle I'll leave or at least ask them to match my hypothetical new offer. 

I'd say doing the market value research plus pointing out the value you add is the "soft" approach, which is totally fine if there's a lot of good will between you and management and/or there are personal relationships with superiors that would make that approach work for you both now and going forward at the company. And given that I know nothing about your employer, it's totally possible that could work for you. It's certainly the least abrasive route. The problem, of course, is that it doesn't offer much in the way of leverage. 

The company I work for is notorious for not offering reasonable regular compensation increases. It's a subject openly talked about among employees. Basically if you'd ever like a raise of more than 2%, it's common knowledge that you'll need an offer in hand before broaching the subject. It's really sucked for us, because when people go out job hunting they sometimes find the 10-15% salary increases, when they might not have even been looking if everyone was just given the standard 3.5-4% annual increase. We've lost a lot of really good people due to that process.

So, is the promotion in title only?  Or actual more work?  Computer field is weird that way.  Sometimes when you are doing the work, they realize hey he's doing the work already, might as well give him a title to match.  

If more work, then talk to the manager.  Lay out why you think you should get more so that he can take it to the higher ups.  

If it's just title.  Then spend it on hookers and blow.

2 minutes ago, Don said:

I'd say doing the market value research plus pointing out the value you add is the "soft" approach, which is totally fine if there's a lot of good will between you and management and/or there are personal relationships with superiors that would make that approach work for you both now and going forward at the company. And given that I know nothing about your employer, it's totally possible that could work for you. It's certainly the least abrasive route. The problem, of course, is that it doesn't offer much in the way of leverage. 

The company I work for is notorious for not offering reasonable regular compensation increases. It's a subject openly talked about among employees. Basically if you'd ever like a raise of more than 2%, it's common knowledge that you'll need an offer in hand before broaching the subject. It's really sucked for us, because when people go out job hunting they sometimes find the 10-15% salary increases, when they might not have even been looking if everyone was just given the standard 3.5-4% annual increase. We've lost a lot of really good people due to that process.

Dang I'm sorry to hear that. I just don't understand employers who are willing to pay more for unproven new people vs. doing their best to retain current employees who have proven themselves.

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So, is the promotion in title only?  Or actual more work?  Computer field is weird that way.  Sometimes when you are doing the work, they realize hey he's doing the work already, might as well give him a title to match.  

If more work, then talk to the manager.  Lay out why you think you should get more so that he can take it to the higher ups.  

If it's just title.  Then spend it on hookers and blow.

More work. It was a promotion + raise.

Dang I'm sorry to hear that. I just don't understand employers who are willing to pay more for unproven new people vs. doing their best to retain current employees who have proven themselves.

I honestly think it's just a matter of quantifiable costs. It's pretty easy to calculate the cost savings between giving everyone an extra 2% annually vs 4%. It's not very easy to quantify the cost of turnover.

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

In all seriousness, is $8k a small raise for the level of your promotion?

That's about $155 a week or $3.80 an hour increase over those he will be supervising. I wouldn't call it in line with the increase in responsibility. It is what companies do when an employee works for you rather than hire that person from outside. It is a lowball to see if they will take it, regardless if a reasonable raise is in the budget.

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

So, you're willing to risk/lose a job you enjoy, with a company you enjoy, for an additional $2k/yr? That's about $38/wk before taxes. 

His value in SoCal is betwen $100-160K a year. If that pay raise doesn't fit between those parameters he needs to find nicer people.

Just now, Blarg said:

His value in SoCal is betwen $100-160K a year. If that pay raise doesn't fit between those parameters he needs to find nicer people.

Follow along...

41 minutes ago, failos said:

I would say so. I was expecting $10-15k, but I was comparing my base salary with the going market rate.

Well, that's why I'm asking/thinking about it before I open my mouth.

I certainly wouldn't leave the situation you described for that amount. If you feel you're being undervalued, it's time to search elsewhere, but remember, there's no guarantee you'll find something better. Sure, you may find a bit more money,but you're also taking the chance that you'll be unhappy. 

Also, take into consideration how well your company is doing. 

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

I certainly wouldn't leave the situation you described for that amount. If you feel you're being undervalued, it's time to search elsewhere, but remember, there's no guarantee you'll find something better. Sure, you may find a bit more money,but you're also taking the chance that you'll be unhappy. 

Also, take into consideration how well your company is doing. 

Totally agree with you. I'm treated really well and have a pretty nice array of benefits. I worked at a pretty horrible place a 1.5 years ago and was being paid $50k less...I guess I should count my blessings.