• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to Negotiate a Raise?

failos

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Totally agree with you. I'm treated really well and have a pretty nice array of benefits. I worked at a pretty horrible place a 1.5 years ago and was being paid $50k less...I guess I should count my blessings.

If more money isn't a possibility and you decide to stay where you're at, you can negotiate for additional benefits. 

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

If more money isn't a possibility and you decide to stay where you're at, you can negotiate for additional benefits. 

Yeah that's probably not an option. I already have unlimited PTO, education budget, gym, 401k matching, healthcare, etc...

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You can get a damn nice house in Tennessee for 1/2 the cost of SoCal. That's an instant life upgrade. 

It’s enticing, for sure….but I don’t think TN is the right place for me, and I prefer to live near my friends and family.

The only other state I’d move (back) to is CO, but homes are extremely expensive there.

First of all, congrats on the promotion offer!

Second, have you accepted it yet? If not, I'd ask to meet one-on-one with your manager and express how excited you are for the new role and share some ideas of how you're going to jump in to your new responsibilities at full speed. Be specific and show you've been thinking intentionally and creatively.

Then, say that you've done your research on salaries for senior software engineers, and while you're excited to elevate your presence at the company, you're reluctant to take on this new role without a bump of at least $15K.

Unless your manager is an asshole and your company is shitty to employees, at the very least I'd expect your manager to say something like, "I don't know if we can do 15, but let me see if we can get some additional compensation than what has been offered." Negotiations are common with promotions; in fact, your manager might be expecting you to negotiate a little. 

As long as you present yourself as genuinely excited for the position and intentionally thinking about how you'll use it to benefit the company, I don't see your ask being met with a negative response. At the very worst, your manager will tell you the budget only allows for an $8K bump but hopefully there will be room for more growth in the future.

If that's the case, accept the promotion, update your resume with the new title, and shop yourself around to other companies using your new position as a way to demonstrate your increased value.

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

First of all, congrats on the promotion offer!

Second, have you accepted it yet? If not, I'd ask to meet one-on-one with your manager and express how excited you are for the new role and share some ideas of how you're going to jump in to your new responsibilities at full speed. Be specific and show you've been thinking intentionally and creatively.

Then, say that you've done your research on salaries for senior software engineers, and while you're excited to elevate your presence at the company, you're reluctant to take on this new role without a bump of at least $15K.

Unless your manager is an asshole and your company is shitty to employees, at the very least I'd expect your manager to say something like, "I don't know if we can do 15, but let me see if we can get some additional compensation than what has been offered." Negotiations are common with promotions; in fact, your manager might be expecting you to negotiate a little. 

As long as you present yourself as genuinely excited for the position and intentionally thinking about how you'll use it to benefit the company, I don't see your ask being met with a negative response. At the very worst, your manager will tell you the budget only allows for an $8K bump but hopefully there will be room for more growth in the future.

If that's the case, accept the promotion, update your resume with the new title, and shop yourself around to other companies using your new position as a way to demonstrate your increased value.

You forgot about the Angels season tickets.

Are there any other employees waiting in the wings for this promotion?  If not, you could point out the added time and expense required to get someone else up to speed or hired.  You already know the culture and what is expected, there is value in that.

Edit: Of course that works both ways.  If you leave you may have to go through an adjustment period learning the culture of your new employer. 

Edited by Slegnaac