• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to Negotiate a Raise?

failos

On 2/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, Taylor said:

First of all, congrats on the promotion offer!

Second, have you accepted it yet? If not, I'd ask to meet one-on-one with your manager and express how excited you are for the new role and share some ideas of how you're going to jump in to your new responsibilities at full speed. Be specific and show you've been thinking intentionally and creatively.

Then, say that you've done your research on salaries for senior software engineers, and while you're excited to elevate your presence at the company, you're reluctant to take on this new role without a bump of at least $15K.

Unless your manager is an asshole and your company is shitty to employees, at the very least I'd expect your manager to say something like, "I don't know if we can do 15, but let me see if we can get some additional compensation than what has been offered." Negotiations are common with promotions; in fact, your manager might be expecting you to negotiate a little. 

As long as you present yourself as genuinely excited for the position and intentionally thinking about how you'll use it to benefit the company, I don't see your ask being met with a negative response. At the very worst, your manager will tell you the budget only allows for an $8K bump but hopefully there will be room for more growth in the future.

If that's the case, accept the promotion, update your resume with the new title, and shop yourself around to other companies using your new position as a way to demonstrate your increased value.

Thanks Taylor. I kinda have no choice but to accept the promotion, otherwise I’d be signaling that I’m leaving. I’ve come to terms with the raise I received. I’m just going to grind it out for another year and jump to a different company for $50k more. I’m not really beholden to the company I work for, so it’s not a problem. Though I will definitely talk to my manager in our next 1:1 as I have nothing to lose really.

59 minutes ago, Lou said:

Exactly.

1.  Accept the raise.

2.  Secure an offer elsewhere.

3.  Negotiate a larger raise with your current employer.

4.  Profit.

Yes that’s the plan. I already created a leetcode account so I can practice the stupid questions Meta/Amazon/Apple/other big prestigious companies ask during technical interviews.

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Yes that’s the plan. I already created a leetcode account so I can practice the stupid questions Meta/Amazon/Apple/other big prestigious companies ask during technical interviews.

Make sure to ask them plenty of questions, too.  It shows that you're prepared and that you're serious about your interest in their organization.

13 hours ago, failos said:

Yeah that would be awesome, assuming they don’t have a shitty org structure like many massive corporations do. I also prefer to work from home.

My current job is 100% remote.

Disney is notoriously cheap with their employees. I knew someone who worked for Disney corporate and didn't see a raise in 10 years, even though their position evolved.

27 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Disney is notoriously cheap with their employees. I knew someone who worked for Disney corporate and didn't see a raise in 10 years, even though their position evolved.

Yeah…screw companies like that. Though I wonder if it’s different for software engineers since engineers are in high demand right now.