• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Robo umps coming to AAA for the 2022 season

mmc

45 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Jeff Fletcher this is a dumb question, but I had to ask.

For players who ended the season on the DL, should the MLB season be delayed would it be possible to have Trout, Rendon, Sandoval etc. rehab in AAA until a deal is reached?

No. Anyone on the 40-man is locked out and all the injured guys had to go back on the 40-man in November. 

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

I really hate the idea. Mistakes and errors and personal preferences are all part of the rich tapestry of life, and bad umpires are a thread of the rich tapestry of sports. Sure it can be annoying when it doesn't go your way, but it's really bloody nice when it does. Just like life. It's just another flavour of loss or victory.

I like the challenge that adjusting to a particular umpire's strike zone presents to the pitchers, it requires another layer of expertise and rewards success to those that can exploit the adjustment. Sure, do a better job of holding umpires accountable and do a better job of training and supporting them to finesse their skills, but the game is richer for their natural human variety, whereas a robot strike zone just seems like another shade of grey.

I totally agree. This is an experiment that I hope goes away.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

What is it that people seem to like about bad calls?

I don’t think anybody “likes” truly bad calls.

But two things:

1). For decades we have been conditioned to accept that over 162 games “close enough” either way calls are just part of the game.

2). There is at least an argument that different umpires may have different strike zones, and that slight variety is really a nuance that good pitchers and hitters adjust to (not really in the category of being bad calls).

I am fine with the human element other than actually bad calls.

I don’t mind accepting some of the variation that comes with human umpires.

I watched a couple games with the "robo ump" system. It was exceptional going east to west, catching corners with precision. But North and South were rough. High fastballs bring called a strike, breaking balls in the dirt somehow catching the zone. 

MLB pitchers have too good of breaking balls for this to not suppress runs. 

I like it, but I also acknowledge it's going to be a HUGE adjustment and give pitchers a big advantage.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, WicketMaiden said:

I really hate the idea. Mistakes and errors and personal preferences are all part of the rich tapestry of life, and bad umpires are a thread of the rich tapestry of sports. Sure it can be annoying when it doesn't go your way, but it's really bloody nice when it does. Just like life. It's just another flavour of loss or victory.

I like the challenge that adjusting to a particular umpire's strike zone presents to the pitchers, it requires another layer of expertise and rewards success to those that can exploit the adjustment. Sure, do a better job of holding umpires accountable and do a better job of training and supporting them to finesse their skills, but the game is richer for their natural human variety, whereas a robot strike zone just seems like another shade of grey.

In general, all sports have made substantial moves to take judgment out of the picture.  All leagues have replay rules (including MLB) and while they delay the action, it’s good to have calls be made right.  

There is supposed to be a consistent strike zone rule but umpires who deviate from that (especially within games) can change the outcome of the game - and that is something no umpire should ever be able to do.  

At least with the robot umpire pitchers and hitters succeed or fail based on their own judgment and abilities, and not the umpires.  

3 hours ago, bruin5 said:

In general, all sports have made substantial moves to take judgment out of the picture.  All leagues have replay rules (including MLB) and while they delay the action, it’s good to have calls be made right.  

There is supposed to be a consistent strike zone rule but umpires who deviate from that (especially within games) can change the outcome of the game - and that is something no umpire should ever be able to do.  

At least with the robot umpire pitchers and hitters succeed or fail based on their own judgment and abilities, and not the umpires.  

All good points Bruin, but I still dislike the idea. I think most of the inconsistencies could be ironed out with better umpires and a more thorough and robust review of the umpires' work, including consequences for poor performance and a mechanism to hold officials as openly accountable as the players and managers. I enjoy the nuance that each competent umpire brings to the game. Pay them more to attract better people, train them better, support and review them with technological support, hold them to account for poor performance - it works in pretty much every other industry.

As an aside, and I'm only half joking here, but seeing as anything that can be programmed can also be hacked, how long until the Astros hack the system and start trashcanning the robo-ump?

24 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

All good points Bruin, but I still dislike the idea. I think most of the inconsistencies could be ironed out with better umpires and a more thorough and robust review of the umpires' work, including consequences for poor performance and a mechanism to hold officials as openly accountable as the players and managers. I enjoy the nuance that each competent umpire brings to the game. Pay them more to attract better people, train them better, support and review them with technological support, hold them to account for poor performance - it works in pretty much every other industry.

As an aside, and I'm only half joking here, but seeing as anything that can be programmed can also be hacked, how long until the Astros hack the system and start trashcanning the robo-ump?

I have a certain ambivalence as well.  The issue with umpires is that there is no accountability for poor performance (I’m looking at you Angel Hernandez).  This is mostly because of their union. For as long as I can remember, some umpires have become bigger than the game and that doesn’t help the game. 

Edited by bruin5