• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Robo umps coming to AAA for the 2022 season

mmc

On 1/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, mmc said:

It's about time. 

If some umpires didn't "flat out SUCK"!

"IF", they were EVER actually held accountable for their egregious mistakes!?

And for WHATEVER reason?

The WORST ones ALWAYS manage to be in crucial games like the playoffs!!!

"If" ANY of these reasons didn't apply.... This WOULDN'T be happening!

So I for one, welcome this change!

Now get those "blind as a bat, fatties" to the Ophthalmologist!

On 1/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, WicketMaiden said:

All good points Bruin, but I still dislike the idea. I think most of the inconsistencies could be ironed out with better umpires and a more thorough and robust review of the umpires' work, including consequences for poor performance and a mechanism to hold officials as openly accountable as the players and managers. I enjoy the nuance that each competent umpire brings to the game. Pay them more to attract better people, train them better, support and review them with technological support, hold them to account for poor performance - it works in pretty much every other industry.

As an aside, and I'm only half joking here, but seeing as anything that can be programmed can also be hacked, how long until the Astros hack the system and start trashcanning the robo-ump?

That was my view for a long time, but as time goes on I feel that umpiring has gotten worse. I suspect a lot of it has to do with what bruin5 said, where umpires have become a protected class in no way held accountable for their performance. 

This is anecdotal obviously, but I think it was last season we played a game where the scheduled shitty umpire was abruptly scratched from the game (due to covid or something) and they had to grab some sub-MLB class umpire from nearby and the guy legitimately had one of the best strike zone's I'd seen all season long.

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That was my view for a long time, but as time goes on I feel that umpiring has gotten worse. I suspect a lot of it has to do with what bruin5 said, where umpires have become a protected class in no way held accountable for their performance. 

This is anecdotal obviously, but I think it was last season we played a game where the scheduled shitty umpire was abruptly scratched from the game (due to covid or something) and they had to grab some sub-MLB class umpire from nearby and the guy legitimately had one of the best strike zone's I'd seen all season long.

I think they've always been pretty bad.  Only when the k-zone (as @Stradling mentioned) did it become more obvious.   There's never been accountability in my opinion.  

I'm fine with the human element coming into the game when the ref has to make judgement calls due to contact between the players.  That just doesn't occur in baseball.  In other words, there really are no judgement calls.  Strikes are strikes.  Balls are balls.  Fair or foul.  Out or safe.  Probably the only thing in baseball that could be considered a judgement call is a balk.  So if you have technology to make those essentially binary decisions and get them right at a much higher rate then so sad too bad as far as I'm concerned.