• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In defense of Arte Moreno

Second Base

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I hate this thread btw. I love you Stradling but sometimes I feel like you're trying too hard to be positive in the face of negativity.

Arte fucking sucks.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm literally retarded.

To your credit, strad is a “glass is half full” guy when it comes to the Angels 

11 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Well-said.

We often hear Arte is "cheap" - which seems to be sort of laughable on its face, b/c of his often very-high payrolls.

But he's spending entirely on the major league team, at the expense of everything else (it seems.)

I always wonder what happened with Friedman - I can't help but imagine he turned *us* down, because Arte wouldn't give him the authority he'd need to change the culture.

I just google'd Carpino - a little description of his role as President kind of says it all:

We measure our GM's on getting us to the playoffs, now - or you're fired.  That's not the environment the club needs to succeed long-term.  The President needs to be focused on baseball operations, top to bottom with a long-term vision - those things I highlighted above?  That should be the job description of VP, Marketing, who reports to the President - not "President"

Arte has had plenty of time to get better at this. His focus on real estate development around the park the last several years, and not on a winning culture says it all.  IMO, he needs to sell.

That all changed in 2009 when they cleaned house and moved Carpino to President. He maintained all the Marketing, concessions and other BS.

1 hour ago, rottiesworld said:

I can just see it now when Arte took out a girl on a date and she said she wants a good steak dinner and he says I have a budget and won’t go over 10.00 so I’m taking you to MC Donald’s, take it or leave it.

MC Donald has a cool house though.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Is it just me or does it feel like there was so major missed opportunity this off season.  I know it's not over but I can't help but feel like there was so much more that could have been done and that this was the year to spend a bit extra.  

100% 

Anything left to do now that will really impact the team will damage the farm. It's so hard to believe they didn't sign Ray, Gausman, or Stroman given what they signed for. And it doesn't seem like they really tried very hard. I can't believe after all the talk about impact pitchers being added, they didn't add a single TOR arm that's pitched in the last 2 years. Honestly unbelievable even given the Angels history under Arte.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

The problem is non committal. People laugh when you say "Arte is cheap" because they have one of the higher payrolls in MLB. But that's all due to a few players making huge amounts of money and you know it's justified only because the ends justify the means from a marketing perspective.

You can't pay Trout and Rendon a combined $75M and not also be willing to spend in other areas and stretch the budget. Unless of course you have an great farm system, which they don't because Arte saves cash there also. You either have to be like rays and A's and trade your top guys away before free agency to keep a low payroll and keep the farm filled with talent. OR you have to be willing to spend to fill your needs. The Angels haven't committed to either approach and that's why they have sucked and will continue to suck until it changes. 

And yes, this is a direct result of Arte Moreno. We've had 2 GMs that have been hired elsewhere despite their lack of success with the Angels. That's because it's known being under Arte is a handicap.