• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you be mad if the Angels signed Corey Seager today?

Hubs

I know they need pitching, pitching, pitching, but as @Dochaloand I have been saying, the offense will be better with the return of Trout and Rendon, but can't have 4 uncertain offensive positions (Adell, Marsh, Fletcher, and SS) going into the season, or they're going to lose a lot of 3-2 games.

Syndergaard, Loup, Lorenzen are good adds, and I hope they add Stroman, Ray or Castillo to that mix, as well as Iglesias but if they signed Seager first?

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I know they need pitching, pitching, pitching, but as @Dochaloand I have been saying, the offense will be better with the return of Trout and Rendon, but can't have 4 uncertain offensive positions (Adell, Marsh, Fletcher, and SS) going into the season, or they're going to lose a lot of 3-2 games.

Syndergaard, Loup, Lorenzen are good adds, and I hope they add Stroman, Ray or Castillo to that mix, as well as Iglesias but if they signed Seager first?

We need Ray and Stroman first and I'd even say get Raisel second.

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

We need Ray and Stroman first and I'd even say get Raisel second.

First off, it's Ray OR Stroman, no way they would get both.

They allowed 741 earned runs last year, 804 overall runs. Both ranked 12th in the AL.

Of the 804 total runs, Bundy gave up 64, Heaney 56, Cobb 46, Quintana 45, Guerra 45, Slegers, 24, and Claudio 22. That's 302 of the 804 runs or just about 37.5% of the total runs allowed. All of these players are gone. They accounted for 460.1 IP for the Angels of their 1421.2 IP, or about 32% of their innings.

The other Angels allowed 62.5% of their runs and pitched 68% of their innings, so...they've cut some poor pitching. But wait, another 79 runs were allowed by 

Watson, Hoyt, Petricka, Strickland, Rowen, Peguero, Pena, Diaz, Ramirez and Bemboom who are also all gone. That's nearly 10% of the Angels runs.

They pitched a total of 74.2 innings, or 5.25% of the Angels overall innings.

Add Cishek (who I think they should resign but many hate him) and you're up to over half of the Angels runs (413) in just 603.1 IP or about 42% of their innings.

The remaining pitchers (which includes free agent Iglesias), pitched 818 IP and allowed 391 runs, 357 were earned. That's a 3.92 ERA for the remaining pitchers.

Meanwhile, They scored 723 runs, ranking 8th. They're gonna score more runs with Trout and Rendon. So that should improve.

But they really need to improve defensively. 63 unearned runs was close to the league lead.

Yes I'd be mad. Seager is extremely overrated to me. His back sucks and struggles to get down on the ball which is pretty important for a SS. When healthy he can hit, but with limited resources I'd be mad if we spent the remaining budget on another  "can hit hit when healthy" guy when we need pitching. 

Yes, absolutely. It would be a repeat of Upton, Hamilton, and Pujols: When the greater need is elite pitching, Arte goes for another hitter.

But I could see it happening, and if so, this would be my prediction:

Angels Homers: "We got Seager! We stole him from the Doyyers!"

2022 Season: Syndergaard blows out his arm, Ohtani gets hurt, Trout is injury prone, Rendon old, Adell-Marsh are slow to develop. Same old, same old.

Record: 82-80 (A winning record!)

2023: Rinse and repeat.

The Angels embody the Wheel of Time. I think we're on cycle of about 25 years, oscillating between "Light" and "Dark" Ages. like so:

First Cycle (25 years)

1961-77 (17 years): Mediocrity

1979-86 (8 years): Pretty good

Second Cycle (23 years)

1987-01 (15 years): Mediocrity, with 1995 being the False Dawn

2002-09 (8 years): Best era

Third Cycle (12 years+)

2010-202x: Mediocrity

202x-?: Good era

By that account, we have another few years of mediocrity before things get good again, sometime in the second half of this decade. I guess the good news is that we're closer to the end than the beginning of the "Dark Age."

39 minutes ago, Hubs said:

First off, it's Ray OR Stroman, no way they would get both.

They allowed 741 earned runs last year, 804 overall runs. Both ranked 12th in the AL.

Of the 804 total runs, Bundy gave up 64, Heaney 56, Cobb 46, Quintana 45, Guerra 45, Slegers, 24, and Claudio 22. That's 302 of the 804 runs or just about 37.5% of the total runs allowed. All of these players are gone. They accounted for 460.1 IP for the Angels of their 1421.2 IP, or about 32% of their innings.

The other Angels allowed 62.5% of their runs and pitched 68% of their innings, so...they've cut some poor pitching. But wait, another 79 runs were allowed by 

Watson, Hoyt, Petricka, Strickland, Rowen, Peguero, Pena, Diaz, Ramirez and Bemboom who are also all gone. That's nearly 10% of the Angels runs.

They pitched a total of 74.2 innings, or 5.25% of the Angels overall innings.

Add Cishek (who I think they should resign but many hate him) and you're up to over half of the Angels runs (413) in just 603.1 IP or about 42% of their innings.

The remaining pitchers (which includes free agent Iglesias), pitched 818 IP and allowed 391 runs, 357 were earned. That's a 3.92 ERA for the remaining pitchers.

Meanwhile, They scored 723 runs, ranking 8th. They're gonna score more runs with Trout and Rendon. So that should improve.

But they really need to improve defensively. 63 unearned runs was close to the league lead.

Did Cobb already sign with Giants?