• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where do the Angels go with Starting Pitching from here?

BTH

51 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the Angels go with Starting Pitching from here?

• Sign a high-end SP to a multi-year, big money contract
    • Sign an upper middle-tier SP to a 3-4 year, $30-$50 million total deal
    • Sign a lower middle-tier SP to a 1-2 year, $8-24 million total deal
    • Sign no more SP's and pivot to other positions of need

Do they sign a high-end SP to a multi-year, big money contract?

Do they sign an upper middle-tier SP to a 3-4 year, $30-$50 million total deal?

Do they sign a lower middle-tier SP to a 1-2 year, $8-24 million total deal?

Do they sign no more SP's and pivot to other positions of need?

While I'd love if they went after Gausman or Stroman, I think more likely is someone like DeScaflani, Cobb, Wood or Matz.

And frankly, I can't fault them for it (if they go that route). It probably makes more sense to spend $10-13M a year on one of those four than twice that on the expensive guys, especially when they have other needs. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

We've done the risk play, now pivot to the trade market for the next SP, someone with 2 or 3 years left at a reasonable AAV. Probably a 2nd tier guy that won't cost the earth, someone like Sonny Gray. I think we get better value there than a middle tier FA. If Syndergaard is back to his best I want the flexibility to be able to extend him. Another TOR free agent would probably preclude that, a middle tier SP on a multi year deal could do too. If he's not back to his best I want the $$$ available at the trade deadline to fix it.

Then spend $20m on the pen. Two reliable 8th/9th innings guys, plus at least one other solid veteran.

Unless we get surprised and they sign Scherzer, who will "only" command 3 years, I think they'll avoid Gausman/Ray/Stroman and instead sign someone in the tier below.

They have ~30-40mil of payroll (likely) to spend.  Unless they fill the closer role cheaply, they'll have to spend at least a decent amount of money on a closer, whether that's Iglesias, Jansen, or some other alternative.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

Interesting that the early results see the Angels going out and signing a high-end SP to a multi-year, big money contract.

Any indication which way they are leaning going forward? @Jeff Fletcher

Nope. Just that they need more. I am sure they are shopping in all aisles 

I am familiar with Marcus Stroman and like him watched him up close this past year.  He is short in stature and doesn't go that deep into Games so will need a Bridge of RP, not an Ace but a Solid #2 or #3 SP.  He is durable not a serious IL risk, he seems to pace himself, not a hard thrower more of a contact Pitcher which is best with good IF defense behind him.  He himself is very agile defensively which is a plus.  I think he will provide solid value in the #2 or #3.

I really like the Marlins young cost controlled SP.  Alcantara is an Ace already, Trevor Rogers excellent, Sixto Sanchez very impressive but he missed 2021 with injury but he wowed me in 2020, Luzardo has great stuff but is a bit raw.  I seriously look there to trade.

Aaron Loup LHP for bullpen really amazing 2021.  Nice piece to have in pen.