• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins considering trading from rotation surplus

Mark68

At the trade deadline, it was reported the Angels and Marlins had more than preliminary talks that would've resulted in Brandon Marsh going to Miami in return for Max Meyer. 

A lot of times, trade talks don't manifest in a deal for some time, rather they establish a foundation for future fruitful negotiations. 

I don't think the Angels will trade any of  their pitching prospects, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels tried to dangle Jordyn Adams or Jeremiah Jackson for Elieser Hernandez. I doubt the Marlins will sell on Sandy Alcantara. Not if they want to compete. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

At the trade deadline, it was reported the Angels and Marlins had more than preliminary talks that would've resulted in Brandon Marsh going to Miami in return for Max Meyer. 

A lot of times, trade talks don't manifest in a deal for some time, rather they establish a foundation for future fruitful negotiations. 

I don't think the Angels will trade any of  their pitching prospects, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels tried to dangle Jordyn Adams or Jeremiah Jackson for Elieser Hernandez. I doubt the Marlins will sell on Sandy Alcantara. Not if they want to compete. 

I've wanted them to trade for Hernandez for a few seasons now...could fit nicely in a couple different roles.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Funny I think the Angels will trade some of their pitching prospects.  They just drafted 20 pitchers.  They have room to trade now.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:42 AM, WicketMaiden said:

That's a bit harsh, sure he's no All-star but he had an OPS+ of 108 and 0.6 bWAR, and a WRC+ of 111 and 0.5 fWAR from only 237 plate appearances in 2021. He's not a liability in the field defensively and can cover several positions, there's definitely value there.

I like Taylor if Adell got traded open spot for Ward. I think he would hit between 20 to 25 HR be halos emergency catcher.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, tdawg87 said:

Yeah at best 5 of those guys sniff the majors. More likely 3-4. 

Yup.

If a team can have 5 guys from any one draft make MLB they throw a party.   The all pitchers thing might up their chances some because RPs, but then you're dealing with the significantly higher attrition rate of pitchers so... 

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup.

If a team can have 5 guys from any one draft make MLB they throw a party.   The all pitchers thing might up their chances some because RPs, but then you're dealing with the significantly higher attrition rate of pitchers so... 

ok, now guess which of the 20 make it to the majors.  I’ll start.  Bachman.  

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup.

What will be more useful is using them in trades. Having that sort of prospect surplus to deal from is always valuable. Look at what the Braves were able to do the last few seasons, mostly due to the fact they simply had more pitching in the minors than they’d ever need.  Sure, a couple of those arms will pan out and look like short-sighted deals, but they’re worth more as trade currency than they are anything else, IMO. 

Anthopoulos was able to get Melancon, Swarzak, Greene, and Martin all in ‘19 for six pitchers, and the Braves still have had plenty of young pitching this season to help them to the WS, and they traded five more pitchers this year for Arcia, Richard Rodriguez, and Jorge Soler.

And they’re still relatively stocked with young pitching talent in the bigs.

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup.

and the draft used to be 40 rounds.  not that there was much yield from 21-40 but if you were going to get that 3rd, 4th or 5th person from one draft you probably got at least one from those later rounds.  

from this last draft, I do think there was a larger pool of players available because of the previous year's short draft.  And I think strategically, the Halos played it pretty smart with the way they managed their pool money and jumped on some tough sign guys who fell.  So I do think we've got a better shot at more yield from this particular draft than most.  

But all the more reason not to trade them right now.  None of those players are ready to be a centerpiece for a deal so you could be just throwing in a couple guys.  

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

What will be more useful is using them in trades. Having that sort of prospect surplus to deal from is always valuable. Look at what the Braves were able to do the last few seasons, mostly due to the fact they simply had more pitching in the minors than they’d ever need.  Sure, a couple of those arms will pan out and look like short-sighted deals, but they’re worth more as trade currency than they are anything else, IMO. 

Anthopoulos was able to get Melancon, Swarzak, Greene, and Martin all in ‘19 for six pitchers, and the Braves still have had plenty of young pitching this season to help them to the WS, and they traded five more pitchers this year for Arcia, Richard Rodriguez, and Jorge Soler.

And they’re still relatively stocked with young pitching talent in the bigs.

but the problem is, which ones do you use?  Only the ones that are depth and not the one who are going to make it?  

maybe you know the Braves farm better than I but at cursory glance I don't see a heck of a lot of pitching left.  

I think there's a bit of outcome bias here.  The braves traded 11 pitchers and won a world series.  I've said that their move at the deadline was bold but grounded in reason and actually made a bunch of sense.  It worked out but it would be tough to stomach if they had gotten ousted in any other round like every other team who made it.  

the mentality of using volume and depth can be where you end up with Dylan Bundy and half a season of good performance on a team where it ended up not mattering.  And you give up four prospects who are all likely more valuable now than they were at the time of the trade.  

And here's one of my main points.  If they want to go out and give up a chunk of the farm to get a TOR starter with two years of control then so be it.  I'm not a fan of that but I can live with it with a caveat.  Don't trade Marsh to make that happen and then leave upton or grab someone like Dexter Fowler to replace him.  Don't leave Rengifo as your starting SS.  Or David Fletcher at 2b without some legit backup.  Or Adell in LF without legit backup.  And don't leave holes in the pen where Guerra is gonna end up pitching 60 innings.  

They want to make that level of commitment, then complete the friggin team.  Either go for or don't.  

I wish Artie would accept that he’s likely to go over the competitive balance ceiling to resign Ohtani, use the $50M to sign pitching and perhaps a SS, and trade for a good catcher with team control for at least two years (or a SS controlled for two years and sign the catcher), grab a good AAA outfielder.  Hopefully hold on to Adell and Marsh and hire me as a consultant and buy me an iPhone 13 pro.