• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

If the Angels don't get Stroman, then you're dropping down to real question marks in the free agent pool.  Kershaw, Rodon, Kikuchi, Greinke, Cueto, Duffy, Hill.  You can't really count on any of those guys long (or even medium...) term.

I’m still optimistic re: trades and a good bullpen being a valid route. Plus prob a flier like you mentioned being on the table. 

Not really big on Perry/Arte’s strategy but Perry’s acquisitions last year weren’t horrible, so the results were at least partially there.

If the Angels don't get Stroman, then you're dropping down to real question marks in the free agent pool.  Kershaw, Rodon, Kikuchi, Greinke, Cueto, Duffy, Hill.  You can't really count on any of those guys long (or even medium...) term.

Just the way the Angels like their SP signings! Angels just waiting for the smoke to clear before they pounce

It doesn't seem like long term is ever thought of when it comes to Angel pitching 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I’m still optimistic re: trades and a good bullpen being a valid route. Plus prob a flier like you mentioned being on the table. 

Not really big on Perry/Arte’s strategy but Perry’s acquisitions last year weren’t horrible, so the results were at least partially there.

Yeah, but as we've discussed, trades will likely only get you a couple of years of control (for any of the Reds guys) and you'll have to give up a lot.  But at this point, that might be the only way to upgrade for 2022, unfortunately.

Reminds me of Beltre. Where there was someone available who would solve a problem for us, we instead focused on someone else (crawford) and screwed that up, then ended up doing something worse.

And like beltre/3B, we dont have in house answers, and nobody better is hitting FA any time soon.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, but as we've discussed, trades will likely only get you a couple of years of control (for any of the Reds guys) and you'll have to give up a lot.  But at this point, that might be the only way to upgrade for 2022, unfortunately.

That's where I think the wisdom and passion of us fans diverges from the mentality of Arte and by extension his FO. 

You and I know full and well that sets us up for another big problem in two years. I don't think the FO worries/cares about problems like that. They just figure they'll have a solution or plan by then to fix that. It's wack-a-mole.

We're in it "for life", Perry is in it for a couple years as a job, Arte as an investment for a couple decades. It's different for us.

Edited by totdprods

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

At that point you’re probably just throwing away money.  The Angels pitching situation is a little better and they’d be better off just trying to shore up middle infield (I’d get Chris Taylor maybe you see if you can get Javy Baez cheap - like legit cheap 3 year deal max) and making sure they get Raisel.  Truly, I have no idea why any of those starters would be any better than the Angels youngsters. 

Obviously we haven't been able to do this for much of the last decade, and it's counterintuitive after the work done by Eppler, but instead of annually pinning hopes on signing 2-3 FAs each year who will cost a ton of money and commitment, and usually don't work out, let's roll the dice and swing some trades - at least one with huge impact - and immediately turn the dollars we'd be blowing in FA towards a focus on drafting, developing, amateur free agents, while enjoying a more flexible MLB payroll in the meantime. 

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

If they don’t upgrade their pitching they will be damn close

If Noah is anything near what he was pre injury then we upgraded.  Ohtani another year removed from surgery will be as good. A healthy Sandoval should be a plus. We will be decent not great. Not a 90-100 loss team. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

At that point you’re probably just throwing away money.  The Angels pitching situation is a little better and they’d be better off just trying to shore up middle infield (I’d get Chris Taylor maybe you see if you can get Javy Baez cheap - like legit cheap 3 year deal max) and making sure they get Raisel.  Truly, I have no idea why any of those starters would be any better than the Angels youngsters. 

Yeah, it would just be a total gamble that one of them would stay healthy and either pitch as well as this season (Rodon) or recapture the past (Kershaw, Greinke, Cueto) for one last time.  I agree that it's not likely to lead to a positive outcome--and, if anything, it'll just leave gaps elsewhere.